Postcard COINTEST

Fiery Searcher

OK folks, I thought I would celebrate the last days of summer with a cointest. I enjoy traveling and have quite a list of “would like to visit someday” spots. When I travel, I always send postcards to friends and family as my way of sharing my adventure with them. In this day of emails and blogs, I find it especially exciting to receive a postcard my mailbox, and I am fortunate to have some wonderful friends who always make it a point to send me a postcard.

postcards.jpg

With this cointest, you all can help me get some travel ideas AND ensure I get some interesting mail in my mailbox. In return, you get a chance at winning a Tranquility coin.

The entry is simple: send me a postcard! The postcard can be from where you live, OR from someplace that you are visiting if you are not at home, for those of you who have trips coming up.

Rules, even simpler. :P

1) Enter my cointest by contacting me, Penny and Kona, through my geocaching.com profile to get my address.

2) Only one postcard per geocacher, please.

3) The postcard must be postmarked from the PLACE depicted on the postcard. (No postcards of New York City mailed from Nebraska. No postcards of Germany sent from England.)

4) The postcard must be postmarked ANYTIME during the month of August 2010. This means you can wait until August 31st for a trip to the post office, so no pressure!

5) Your postcard must tell me something of your home place or about your vacation. Write it as though you are telling a friend about your trip/home. The focus should be on the location featured on the postcard, so I can learn something and (hopefully) visit there someday! Please do not write “thanks for the cointest” anywhere on the postcard – I want to read about your place!

6) Sign your postcard with your geocaching nickname. Do not write your address anywhere on the postcard, as this would take up space that you could use to write a quality postcard!

I will post pictures of the winning postcard, front and back, here in the forums. We can all read about a new place together!

The winner will be chosen on how well you can follow instructions (see rules above!) and on the quality of the postcard note, as determined by me. I’m not looking for the next great writer, so no worries about spelling or perfect English sentence structure. Just write as though you are sharing your adventure (or your home town) with a long lost friend and you want to include all details! Share funny stories, sincere moments, or present a typical “day in the life” for me.

Please read the rules carefully! If any are violated, your postcard will not be considered.

Sound good? Please post here if there are any questions, so that everyone can be updated at once.

To enter my simple cointest, email me through my geocaching.com profile (Rule #1). I would like to keep track of all entries, so I’m not waiting for postcards through the end of 2010. I’ll send you my mailing address in response to your entry, and this will be your confirmation that you are officially “entered” into my cointest.

Thanks for reading, and I’m looking forward to hearing from everyone!

PostcardAtQueenstown.jpg

Only one postcard??? Oh boy... and what shall I choose?? there are so many amazing places to see here in rhodes.... nature paradises, historic areas, ancient ruins, beautiful beaches... and lots of sunshine even in winter! :laughing:

Can I ask... 2 things?

We will write what you see in the postcard or about the place we live?

Can we attach a paper so we can have more space to write and will not destroy the postcard (if we write hard... you know,,, if we push the pen harder...while we are writing) and then put the postcard on an envelope?

second question..... if I win... can I take the Titanic postcard?? :shocked:

Email sent..

I saw the rule about the postmark being in August, will it be disqualified if it is postmarked in July???

After the cointest is over, can you post pictures of all the post cards you receive? Or at least a list of all the locations you received post cards from....

Thanks for a great cointest and for the opportunity to maybe score a tranquility coin for my collection...

As far as the postmark goes does it need to be postmarked from the actual city or just the general area. We don't have much here in Conroe and I can't say that I've ever seen a post card for our city. I have seen them for some of the cities I'm hoping to take a day trip to in the next month. But I'm not sure I'd want to sit down and write out a post card on the road or while I was visiting so I'd likely mail it from near home. The places I'm talking about are not across our large state, but anywere from about 50-200 miles.

Great idea for a cointest. I'd love to see the postcards and notes. Don't even care if I win so I'll send one anyway even if it's DQed.

Funny thing is I never buy post cards unless I'm traveling and I just bought 2 Texas one's to send to my Godson who is in boot camp. Guess I could send one like that and I'm covered no matter where I send it from.

We've had some good questions, so I'll address them before the postcards get underway! Hopefully these answers will clarify things and make it fun for everyone.

Also, I think it a FANTASTIC suggestion to share a picture or map featuring all postcards and their destinations. I promise to do this and hopefully it will add to the fun.

Thanks to everyone who has indicated interest to far...I think I'm going to have the most fun with this!

Questions are in BLUE.

From Gatoulis:

1. We will write what you see in the postcard or about the place we live?

I'll leave this up to you. The postcards should give me a "feeling" of travelling, as though I were there myself. I have a vivid imagination, so don't worry about this too much! I also don't want to give too many guidance here, as I think everyone has their own writing style and their own ideas of what the reader might find interesting. The one thing I want to avoid is any reference to this cointest.

To keep things fair, everyone is limited to only the space on the postcard. If attachments were allowed, I'd have asked everyone to write me a letter! Let's keep it simple and only use the postcard space.

2. if I win... can I take the Titanic postcard??

If only I had it to give. :laughing:

From JohnMac56:

Will it be disqualified if it is postmarked in July?

No. The postmarks can be anytime from my initial posting up UNTIL 31 August. The cut-off date is more important than the initial date. Also, I had no idea anyone would be prepared with a postcard so soon!

From wolfslady:

Does it need to be postmarked from the actual city or just the general area?

I'll go easy on this one and keep it general. If you're in the US, the postmark needs to be from the same STATE as the postcard. For Canada, let's say the postmark needs to be from the same province or territory. For postcards coming in from overseas, the postmark needs to be from the same country.

Shamless plug for my cointest, a "bump," and an update all in one!

I received two postcards today, and have decided already that selecting the winner will be difficult.

I will be out of town for the next week or so, so don't be surprised if you contact me to enter and I don't get back to you right away. Entries into this cointest will be taken throughout August, so no rush.

Enjoy the last days of summer, and happy caching!

Hello, everyone!

Just a quick update to say I am have now returned to the realm of computers and will be better able to keep up with your requests from here on out.

To all who sent me an email through geocaching.com, you should have received an email from me in response with my address.

We are up to 42 participants in this cointest, which is very exciting indeed! Thanks to everyone so far for your participation.

As a reminder to those of you who have NOT sent your postcards yet, please read the rules carefully and follow them, especially the part about signing your postcard with your geonickname. This is how I will identify the winner and so it will be especially important if your postcard is chosen.

The window for entries is open through the entire month of August, so there is still time to enter and to find a postcard!

wedding-stamps.jpg

So, while on my Vacation, I got you a nice Postcard, but unfortunatly had no internet access to retrieve your addy while I was there...I have gotten back and was re looking at this thread before getting it together for mailing when I realized I am not in the same province as where I bought the postcard...am I going to be disqualified and ostrisized, persecuted and humiliated for my inability to follow rules? I will send you the postcard either way but was still hoping to be in the running...I am less than 4 hours from the province I bought it in and, in fact, even though I am in a province that is further West, I am actually further East than where I got the Postcard from (Bonus Points if anyone can figure out which 2 provinces I am talking about)...T.

So, while on my Vacation, I got you a nice Postcard, but unfortunatly had no internet access to retrieve your addy while I was there...I have gotten back and was re looking at this thread before getting it together for mailing when I realized I am not in the same province as where I bought the postcard...am I going to be disqualified and ostrisized, persecuted and humiliated for my inability to follow rules?...T.

I think the bonus offering could apply to a few territory pairings: BC/Alberta, Ontario/Quebec, PEI/Nova Scotia...

To be fair to everyone, I am going to stick ever-so-rigidly to Rule #3. So, if postmarks have to match up state-to-state in the U.S., then the same needs to apply to provinces and territories in Canada.

However, this doesn't mean you're disqualified, as there is still plenty of time to procure a postcard from where you are now! As long as it's postmarked by the end of this month, all is good! I'll just have to miss out on a Canadian vacation spot, I suppose. :laughing:

I finally went postcard hunting today! I found a bunch I liked, but I narrowed it down to 3. I bought them all and now I'm sitting here trying to figure out the best one to send. :laughing:

Might this decision-making process be just a ruse to stay away from the important work that you could be doing? Just remember to have FUN!

I finally went postcard hunting today! I found a bunch I liked, but I narrowed it down to 3. I bought them all and now I'm sitting here trying to figure out the best one to send. :laughing:

Might this decision-making process be just a ruse to stay away from the important work that you could be doing? Just remember to have FUN!

HAhhahahaahaha I have NO idea what you mean. :huh:

I'm having a blast figuring out which one is best suited for sending. I have narrowed it down to TWO now!! And I think I know which one is going to be the winner. :)

Greetings, all!

It may not appear so in this thread, but there has been a lot of interest in this little ole cointest o' mine, which makes me happy that I'm going to have some pretty fantastic mail for the next few weeks!

Just a reminder: all postcards need to be postmarked within the month of August. There are 10 days remaining in August. August 31st is a Tuesday, so for those of you procrastinators out there, the deadline is a working day for the post office. :rolleyes:

postcards.png

I finally went postcard hunting today! I found a bunch I liked, but I narrowed it down to 3. I bought them all and now I'm sitting here trying to figure out the best one to send. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard recently here in Bar Harbor. Wife was ever so s-l-o-w-l-y picking out 20 some all different postcards for family and friends. Husband, in exasperation, said "Honey, we only have a week's vacation!"

Okay, I'm getting ready to send you a postcard. I wasn't able to fulfill the requirement of having the postcard postmarked from the exact place depicted on the card, because the two post offices there were both closed by the time I was able to get to them (you'll read all about it on the card), which was a real disappointment for me -- I was really looking forward to posting you a card from this particular location! I'm glad to hear that the card being posted from the same country counts, because it would have been a bummer otherwise, but in any case I truly hope that you enjoy this card when you get it. It was hard work to earn it for you! : )

Just wanted to bump this thread, since I was here double checking the rules.

The Christmas before I headed out on the road in the Big Trusk, I gave my friends Mom a very interesting Christmas Gift...a Roll of 100 postcard stamps. As soon as she opened it, I explained that she had to give it back, and they would be returned to her one at a time attached to 100 postcards over the next year!! She ended up making a special box to keep all the Cards in as they arrived!

Mailing postcards from afar is definitely an adventure, even in the states. I've always wondered why establishments sell postcards but often have no idea of the nearest place to buy a stamp!

Hopefully everyone has had more fun with their postcards and not too much "adventure" trying to get the darn thing mailed! I'm looking forward to a postcard from Japan and from our mystery travel man, drneal. I'll let everyone know where he went. :ph34r:

Well, finally I have found a postcard good enough to send. How come it is so hard finding the things you want when you need them?? I bet I find at least 10 nicer postcard the nextt time I go into a store but this will do as the entrytime is running out.

I will post my card tomorrow, tuesday august 31, hopefully it will reach you soon enough from Sweden.

grodan Karin