Tracking Number

TRAVEL BUGGER

I am confused. There are actually two numbers associated with a travel bug. One is on the dog tag itself which is used to activate the travel bug. The other is a TBXXX number that is used to track the bug on the website.

I used the number on the tag to log the fact that I picked up a travel bug from a cache. When I dropped it off in another cache, it lost the original log from the owner and doesn't highlight the cache that I retrieved it from. I think I should have used the TBXXX number. Is that correct?

Nope. There's 3 numbers.

TBXXXX is a reference number for the bug in the Geocaching.com database. To see how they're generated click here.

There is a long involved activation code that is sent on the envelope of each bug. You need that code to activate the bug as the owner.

There is also a 6 digit "secret code" on each Travel Bug tag. This is designed so that only someone who has physically seen the Travel Bug dog tag (or knows the code) can make a log to the bug's page and subsequently move it.

To post a note to the Bug's page you need that 6 digit code. E-mail the owner. They SHOULD have it.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching