Putting items in SOMEONE ELSE'S cache

RFF

My kids and I recently found our very FIRST cache. It was a micro cache, with only a log book inside. Needless to say the kids (7,6 and 2) were a little disappointed that there was no swag to trade for. My oldest brought TONS of trading swag, in various sizes hoping to make a good trade. When he saw there was nothing there, he was a little sad java script:emoticon(':P',%20'smid_10')

I tried to explain as best I could to them that some caches are just a little too small to fit swag in. They instantly cheered up when they learned that. But then they were disappointed when they figured out that there would be OTHERS looking for this cache after us, and they thought that THOSE kids would be sad not finding anything. They REALLY wanted to leave something behind for the next person to find the cache, but I didn't know if that was frowned upon.

So....what are the rules about leaving something in a cache that has nothing?? The kids have some things that are small enough to fit into micro caches (pill bottles, etc.), but SHOULD we leave something if nothing was intended to be left there?? I don't want to be stepping on anyones toes!

Thanks

The Robinsons

first Congrats on your first find.

second, if you're taking the kids would be a good idea to check the size of the container before you go and avoid micros, as they will most times just have a log and are not intended to hold swag

there are some CO's that have a slightly bigger container but usually it will say so in the cache description, and that it can hold small items or small trackables, usually coins

as for leaving stuff without taking anything, that is totally your call unless the CO specifically asks in the description that no swag should be left behind

personally i wouldn't recommend leaving swag in micros

Congrats on your find and welcome to the sport!

By all means, if you have swag that will fit, go for it as long as it doesn't crush anything else in there or make it impossible to get the log out. We have some very small items that fit nicely into some micros and we have found tiny items in others, even tiny TBs. For the most part, though, micros probably won't have anything else but the log inside. If trading swag is what you're looking for, you might want to stick with the larger caches. BTW, feel free to leave stuff there too even if you don't take anything. Above all, have fun!

Greetings and congratulations on your first find!

As others have mentioned, micros and many smalls are more for the hunt rather than the swag; sounds like you'd all have more fun with the regulars or larger. Unless everyone gets more interested in the "finding part"...

... But then they were disappointed when they figured out that there would be OTHERS looking for this cache after us, and they thought that THOSE kids would be sad not finding anything. They REALLY wanted to leave something behind for the next person to find the cache...

BRAVO!! To all of you! Welcome to the game! :P

i'd say it's ok. i have 2 caches hidden that are small but could hold swag. i chose not to put any swag in (other than FTF dollar) because i really dislike finding swag. i traded my first few finds, but have come to just not that part of the game.

Someone left swag in my cache and that's perfectly fine! i know kids will appreciate it. i'll check the swag and if it gets moldy or nasty, i'll chuck it.

My daughter has been collecting silly bandz bracelets for close to a year now so has tons of them and lots of duplicates and those seem to fit well into many of the micro or small caches we find. I'm not much into finding/trading the goodies but she does like to and has expressed concern that "a smaller kid" might be upset if they find a cache with nothing so we try to add a little something if there's room in a cache.

A local cacher here has these little foam sports things--little basketballs, etc. They are only about .5 inches and they fit into almost any container, I'd say. I am not sure if they are intended as swag or a calling card, but it's cute.

I have no problem leaving something and not taking. I have little army men, and I also have a couple of little "boo-boo" kits, a rain poncho, some suncreen, little useful stuff like that to put in if the cache might need something like that. Even have a couple of little glow sticks in a package. Kids love glow stuff.

<of course, some stuff is not for the summer heat--have to wait for winter months here sometimes>

We don't often trade at all, but if it is a cache that is a bit empty, and one that kids may be going to, we leave something. Sometimes more than one item. We were lucky enough to pick up polished pebbles and kids seem to love finding those - I wish I could find more to buy...my source doesn't carry them any more.

In my early days I laid in a supply of trade items. I treat swag as travel bugs. I take from one cache and leave at another. Caches frequently get wet, so if you leave paper or cardboard items be ready to put them in a baggie so it won't get gross for someone else. As stated above, no problem leaving without taking, so, long as there's room. If the kids get discouraged, try doing a PQ with regulars. And remind the tykes that Eagle Eyes once found a Game Boy in a large!!!

Edited by ras_oscar

I have many times found caches with nothing in them and added some extra swag from my geocaching bag. I also clean out stuff that is obviously no good anymore, or things like business cards people have left. I just think its nice to do this for each other. And like you say it avoids disappointment of the next little kids who come along.

As far as I am concerned, any container big enough for trinkets is fair game to have trinkets left in it, unless the owner specifies otherwise. What harm can it do?