First to Find, Second to Log (FTF Etiquette)

kiwiowl

I posted this on a different topic but then I found it would be more appropriate here. I was 4th to find the other day and decided to wait until at least the FTF was logged so it wasn't all out of order on the caches log page. Later that night the cache was pulled off the site never to be found again I can't help but wonder if I logged it, it would have at least been an archived cache rather than just pulled completely. Needless to say next time I will not wait to log it no matter what. Either way it was cool to meet the other FTF hawks of the area.

I posted this on a different topic but then I found it would be more appropriate here. I was 4th to find the other day and decided to wait until at least the FTF was logged so it wasn't all out of order on the caches log page. Later that night the cache was pulled off the site never to be found again I can't help but wonder if I logged it, it would have at least been an archived cache rather than just pulled completely. Needless to say next time I will not wait to log it no matter what. Either way it was cool to meet the other FTF hawks of the area.

I've never heard of a cache being completely pulled off of the site... is this possible? I thought that caches were just archived (which, for those who don't know, you can still log your find if you found it before it was archived and still need to log it).

I've never heard of a cache being completely pulled off of the site... is this possible? I thought that caches were just archived (which, for those who don't know, you can still log your find if you found it before it was archived and still need to log it).

There apparently have been caches that were just "disappeared". Generally it happens just after a cache is published and it is found out it should not have been published. It has been mentioned a time or two.

Comment by Mom

Another thread

Prime Reviewers comment

I agree there is no general etiquette that you should wait for the FTF to log online, and that the order of the online logs do not matter.

However - for me, until last week this never was an "issue", as around here the FTF's tend to log online quickly, and whenever I logged a second/third etc to find, the FTF was already logged online.

Last week I met the FTF on a cache at GZ (just missed being FTF myself by minutes). 15 minutes later I was at home and was going to log my find; I noticed the FTF hadn't logged yet. As I thought they would probably log soon, I decided to wait, to let them be first to log as well as FTF. Sure enough, they made their log within the hour, then I logged mine. They may not have cared.

On those optional stat pages some cachers have on their profile page, the FTF stat they have listed there is being added by the cacher themselves. For instance, the stat program I use scans my on-line logs for the phrase FTF and then asks me if I want to include that cache on my page. I tell it whether or not to count it. But as Briansnat says, no other weight is given to the stat and really it doesn't matter whose log appears first. The FTF'er can claim it in any order and all will recognize and honor it. :)

Can I ask what software program you use to log your stats? I think I'd like to try it. Is it free?

On those optional stat pages some cachers have on their profile page, the FTF stat they have listed there is being added by the cacher themselves. For instance, the stat program I use scans my on-line logs for the phrase FTF and then asks me if I want to include that cache on my page. I tell it whether or not to count it. But as Briansnat says, no other weight is given to the stat and really it doesn't matter whose log appears first. The FTF'er can claim it in any order and all will recognize and honor it. :)

Can I ask what software program you use to log your stats? I think I'd like to try it. Is it free?

http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/

FTF is first to find the cache, not to log on-line.

It's considered bad form to intentionally wait a long time to log your FTF on-line, however understandable that sometimes you can't log on-line right away.

As for non-FTFs logging, you can't expect them to wait a few days to log their cache, especially if they are acknowledging they are not FTF.

Why would anyone possibly care?

OK. I'll admit that I am a late logger on purpose. The FTF game is just that - a game within a game - and there is no recognition from GC whatsoever about it. So why log one at all? Why spoil the fun for the others out there who think they have a chance at it? This works particularly well on puzzles.

I'm sure that most of you have experienced running out with the anticipation of being FTF only to see someone elses name atop the logbook - I've become the STF master in these parts with over 150 STFs. How about running out for a cache and find that you are #8 or #12 on the list for a cache not logged yet. Happens here all the time.

In the land of PHAH (see dixiecachers.com for definition) if a cache has been posted for more than 1 hour it has been found. If posted more than 1 day it has half a dozen finders. Don't fret about the logs...

We've posted a few FTDNFs..

Me too!! Now THATs something to be proud of :o

Hah! I thought I had the original on this one, but looks like others have done the same. I "FTDNF'd" GC29MJQ--admittedly, I came back the next day and FTF'd it.

In all seriousness, though, on my hides I always just glance at the physical log after about a week and "verify" the FTF by the written log and then add "Congrats to _____ for the FTF honors!" to the bottom of the cache page. Thus far, we've got a great group of cachers up here and I've had several hides where the first logger has mentioned 2TF---everyone's been really honest and fair.

Sounds like the cache referenced in the OP was retracted. It happens from time to time. I log my finds when I have the chance and do not worry about the timing compared to anyone who may have found the cache before or after me. I have never seen any FTF hound complain that someone else logged a find online before they could. I certainly do not understand the concept of intentionally delaying the online logging to "add to the fun". Seems to me it is only adding to the fun of the one who delays logging. YMMV.