So basically, I'm out $60?

I ordered some items from a geocache store and paid via paypal. The echeck cleared and per the USPS tracking number they provided me it has arrived. Yet, I don't have it. I can't look up the order on their website (never had that happen before) so there is no way for me to check on that endd. I have the paypal receipt but as long as there is a USPS delivery confirmation number they won't be able to help me via their dispute process. I don't recall insurance being offered but honestly don't know if I would have purchased it anyways. If I go to the vendor he is just going to point to the USPS confirmation number.

I have another order from another store where payment cleared a week ago but has not shipped yet. :)

Just venting.........

I ordered some items from a geocache store and paid via paypal. The echeck cleared and per the USPS tracking number they provided me it has arrived. Yet, I don't have it. I can't look up the order on their website (never had that happen before) so there is no way for me to check on that endd. I have the paypal receipt but as long as there is a USPS delivery confirmation number they won't be able to help me via their dispute process. I don't recall insurance being offered but honestly don't know if I would have purchased it anyways. If I go to the vendor he is just going to point to the USPS confirmation number.

I have another order from another store where payment cleared a week ago but has not shipped yet. :)

Just venting.........

It sounds like your dispute is with the Post Office. You should contact the postmaster to track it down. Perhaps they left the package at your door and someone grabbed it.

If I go to the vendor he is just going to point to the USPS confirmation number.

Most vendors are decent. Contact them and see what they say. It's also not unknown for UPS to deliver to the wrong address.

USPS & UPS.

The USPS delivery confirmation simply means they scanned it in as delivered, not that you were handed it or signed for it.

I went a few rounds with UPS over a KVM switch they insisted they had delivered. I stated emphatically I was not home when they alleged to have left it for me. I said, "Show me the signature!" I filed for a refund and they got really huffy for a while, but paid the claim.

Edited by DragonsWest

I had UPS misdeliver a package. I live in a small town. The street I live on has two parts. It's something like Maine ... You can't get there from here. Long story short the new driver followed his nuvi and ran out of houses before the he ran out of addresses. Picked a random door and marked it delivered. I called the vendor, they re-shipped and this time the regular driver delivered it and knew how to get to my house ... he leaves his nuvi turned off. :) Should we talk about the house addresses out of sequence and seemingly random order?

I have not had a problem with USPS. But yes, contact the vendor. If they do not give satisfaction escalate the issue with paypal. The one time I had to escalate with paypal I had good results.

If I go to the vendor he is just going to point to the USPS confirmation number.

Most vendors are decent. Contact them and see what they say. It's also not unknown for UPS to deliver to the wrong address.

USPS & UPS.

Ah, misread, sorry. I sent a package once, delivery receipt said "delivered" but it wasn't - the mail carrier didn't drop it off because no one was around to receive the package, but in the system it said "delivered". Took a while to figure out what's going on.

I believe most shippers will only work with the sender so definitely contact the vendor.

USPS & UPS.

Ah, misread, sorry. I sent a package once, delivery receipt said "delivered" but it wasn't - the mail carrier didn't drop it off because no one was around to receive the package, but in the system it said "delivered". Took a while to figure out what's going on.

I believe most shippers will only work with the sender so definitely contact the vendor.

Actually this happens a lot with USPS. (US Postal Service) I would wait at least 3 or 4 days after it says 'delivered' before actually believing it's not coming.

UPS, different story..

All delivery confirmation means is, the item was delivered..................to somewhere. We once had an item dropped off at our house, we didn't order it, and it was meant to be delivered to the other side of town. Our name and address had nothing in common with the receiver. This was USPS BTW.

I had an order delivered to my house the other day, two packages delivered to my house for me... and one for my neighbours (well not really, they lived about 3 blocks from my house) I assume the driver just didn't want to look for the other address. In anycase, I walked it over to them and all's well that ends well.

I am worried about another package I ordered though, it says it was picked up and accepted for delivery on June 9th 2010 (according to the tracking number) but I didn't even place my order until July 23rd. I will be on the phone with them this morning. :P

- gracii

...Long story short the new driver followed his nuvi and ran out of houses before the he ran out of addresses. Picked a random door and marked it delivered. I called the vendor, they re-shipped and this time the regular driver delivered it and knew how to get to my house ... he leaves his nuvi turned off.

I give your UPS guy credit for at least trying to use modern technology. I've had multiple FedEx packages that I've had to pick up becuase they "could find my house". I've called and asked them if they have computers in the office with web access- yes of course they do. I asked if they can reach Google maps- yes, of course they can. Did they ever think to google my address? "Sir, we can't do that." :P

I would get the package and there would be notes all over it the different roads they had tried that were similar to my road- BUT IN THE WRONG TOWN AND ZIP CODE.

...Long story short the new driver followed his nuvi and ran out of houses before the he ran out of addresses. Picked a random door and marked it delivered. I called the vendor, they re-shipped and this time the regular driver delivered it and knew how to get to my house ... he leaves his nuvi turned off.

I give your UPS guy credit for at least trying to use modern technology. I've had multiple FedEx packages that I've had to pick up becuase they "could find my house". I've called and asked them if they have computers in the office with web access- yes of course they do. I asked if they can reach Google maps- yes, of course they can. Did they ever think to google my address? "Sir, we can't do that." :P

I would get the package and there would be notes all over it the different roads they had tried that were similar to my road- BUT IN THE WRONG TOWN AND ZIP CODE.

There's a good reason not to depend upon Google Maps - Their Geocoding is approximate and sometimes wildly off. I've coded a web application for finding which schools a child at an address will attend, using the Google maps API. Not terribly difficult, but I have to provide my own list of dwellings to identify the school - the Geocoding of the school locations was usually hundreds of feet off, so I created markers located at school entrances. I can't help the markers Google Maps places using its own geocoding, though, which can been quite a ways off where the actual dwelling is located. Still, it's useful as a rough estimate.

Depending upon Google Maps would be a FedEx corporate decision. If HQ say "No" then they have to follow orders.

There's a good reason not to depend upon Google Maps - Their Geocoding is approximate and sometimes wildly off. I've coded a web application for finding which schools a child at an address will attend, using the Google maps API. Not terribly difficult, but I have to provide my own list of dwellings to identify the school - the Geocoding of the school locations was usually hundreds of feet off, so I created markers located at school entrances. I can't help the markers Google Maps places using its own geocoding, though, which can been quite a ways off where the actual dwelling is located. Still, it's useful as a rough estimate.

Depending upon Google Maps would be a FedEx corporate decision. If HQ say "No" then they have to follow orders.

Oh, I get that. I just couldn't figure out why, after three delivery attempts, would they not at least give it a shot. They were driving around about 15 miles from my house, looking at roads that have similar, but different names in the wrong town and zip. Whatever ever method they use wasn't working. Why not make use of another resource of information when it's three clicks away?

Really I was hacked because I had to use my time and gas to make the last leg of a delivery that I had paid for.

I have had that happen repeatedly, and always with USPS and never with UPS or FedEx.

My carrier likes to leave my packages on other peoples porches.

In this case your mail carrier is incompetent. Make a formal complaint with the USPS. and do it every time it happens. With enough complaints you may be able to get this person fired and replaced with someone who reads English.

This person has lied in that he/she reported it as delivered and it clearly was not.

I would also, as others have suggested. report it to your vendor as they may want to change their shipping method.

No wonder USPS is going broke. Who wants to use them anymore?

Our mail carrier IS incompetent. He's in his 70s which shouldn't be any excuse but we think he just doesn't even car. We're constantly getting other people's mail. We consistently got someone's railroad paycheck for a while. We always deliver other people's mail back to them. I wonder how much of our mail has been delivered to other people that we haven't gotten?

I only had one package from UPS that went to our neighbors house. I've never had a problem with Fed Ex.

I hope you get your stuff soon. I ordered a few geocoins from Groundspeak and havn't got a shipping notification yet...

Questioning the competency of the USPS is hardly a flame :shocked: The incompetency in this case though was with someone else. I had told them I was expecting a package. They thought this meant "box" and had never considered to look for a large envelope. Meh, no big deal in the end. I just can't afford to up and lose $60 on a hobby at this point in my life.

Nah, second issue is different and I am sure it will be resolved amicably.

Thanks all for your input :laughing: