Pen scavenging

Everyone has had the experiance of "WooHoo! I found it!" "Oh... wait, where is my pen?" Or on the way to the cache your all "GPS, check. Boots, check. Pokey stick, check. Pen, .... darnit"

So how to you find a writing untensil in a pinch?

One time I ended up getting a golf pencil at a Washington state lottery kiosk in a nearby store whilst on the way to a cache where I did not have my pen. :)

Only twice have I found myself in an area that it was easier to track down a pen than walk back to the truck (there are always a few there). Once I was in a downtown area and "borrowed" a pen from a nearby hotel. The other time I was able to find one a block away at the public library.

Everyone has had the experiance of "WooHoo! I found it!" "Oh... wait, where is my pen?" Or on the way to the cache your all "GPS, check. Boots, check. Pokey stick, check. Pen, .... darnit"

One time I ended up getting a golf pencil at a Washington state lottery kiosk in a nearby store whilst on the way to a cache where I did not have my pen. :P

The first cacher to find one of mine this past spring used a muddy stick to sign the log.

This has happened a few times for me and Ive now learned my lesson and always carry a pen whilst caching.

My first ever find was a nano, so obv no pen. took the cache to the pub over the road, borrowed a pen, signed log and replaced

Second find on the same day was a 35mm micro. no pen and no local place to borrow so my friend Martin (in a moment of genius) picked up a small stick, burned the end with a lighter and created a make-shift pencil!

Thirdly, only last week my girlfriend were out in a park away from home. I decided to use my phone to see if there were any local caches. On the way to GZ we realised we didnt have a pen but at that PRECISE moment we found a discarded pen on the floor! result!

This has happened to me a few times. I always have my phone so I take a picture of the log/cache container and email the owner with a discription of the hide area with the picture. Sometimes I will post the picture if it does not give to much away. Don't like to do it this way but I have a habit of cacheing without the GPS so not always prepared to sign.

One time I ended up getting a golf pencil at a Washington state lottery kiosk in a nearby store whilst on the way to a cache where I did not have my pen. :)

I happened to grab two sources I bought a pack of 100 golf pencils at a golf store sale for $1 per pack so I bought two.

I also stash a bag of pens from giveaways, college swag, and hotels in my car in the glove compartment.

Lastly I have a keyring that has a pen attached to it so I hope to not forget a pen with me or I have bigger issues if I locked up my car.

I have a pencil on my Keyring, always drive to the cache so have my keys with me, sorted!

i wanted to say tht ive never thought of tht and tht is a great idea. ive seen mini sharpies on keychains but where would you geta pencil on one.what does your look like.

I have a pencil on my Keyring, always drive to the cache so have my keys with me, sorted!

I go with the same type of theory. Normally in my geocaching bag, I have a Fisher space pen... but just in case I run into other cachers and not have that bag at the time, I have one of those tiny bison canisters attached to my keys that have several micro and nano signature chainmail balls, as well as a tiny custom-made pencil using 2mm lead from a mechanical pencil/lead holder (my favourite type of mechanical pencil... nuts to those 0.5mm ones!) coated with JB Weld.

This way, I always have a writing utensil AND some signature items to drop.

Edited by Kabuthunk

almost ever time i forget my pen i just walk around watching the ground, and find some type of writing instrument with in minutes. i have found highlighters, sharpies, and pens out in the middle of the woods before.

I have a tendancy to find lighters in the woods. I suppose its a good thing I take them before some little kid or crazy person does lol

Not long ago I logged my first "first to find" It was very exciting! We had to hike up a trail about 2.5 miles to get to it, so imagine my annoyance when I realized I had forgotten my pen! It was getting dark, and would be to late to hike down and back up again- I had to prove I had been there! It was my first FTF after all! My solution? Put on a coating of the lipstick in my back pocket, and give the log book a big smooch!

My first few months of geocaching found me penless on several occasions and I was close enough to The Duchess (my cachemobile) that I could hike out, get the pen, and hike back in. Now, I have a super-thin Fisher Space Pen (is there any other kind?) in my wallet, another on a breakaway lanyard around my neck and I have a Victorinox SwissCard Lite also in my wallet. That pretty well ensures that I have a pen!