Delorme and Canadian Aerial maps

42at42

Before I bought my PN-30 I looked at the available maps and like what Delorme had to offer. The Canadian Aerial maps were not available yet so I called Delorme. I was told they would be out in Spring.

Still not out yet and it is mid-summer. I called Delorme and they said they are working on it. I asked if they were still going to be part of the "Map Subscription". The answer was no it is going to be released as part of something larger. This will have to be purchased separately. My guess is it is going to be a lot more than the $29.95 I was told I would have to spend when it became available.

This was the main reason I bought the Delorme. I am glad I like the other features of this GPS.

I guess the lesson here is don't believe what a company promises will happen in the future. They are salespeople selling a product and there is nothing stopping them from telling you what you want to hear.

I've been seriously comparing the new Garmin 62's with the PN series, obviously with a view to purchase.

The Delorme website says...

For the amazing price of ONLY $29.95, you can download all the USGS Quads, NOAA Nautical charts, and high-resolution aerial imagery you need – right from the NetLink tab of your DeLorme software.

One would think that high-resolution aerial imagery would be taken by satellite and cover the whole planet not just some parts of the USA. Sounds like a sleazy little ad to me. The aerial imagery I need isn't in the USA!

Your news really sucks :P

I've been seriously comparing the new Garmin 62's with the PN series, obviously with a view to purchase.

The Delorme website says...

For the amazing price of ONLY $29.95, you can download all the USGS Quads, NOAA Nautical charts, and high-resolution aerial imagery you need – right from the NetLink tab of your DeLorme software.

One would think that high-resolution aerial imagery would be taken by satellite and cover the whole planet not just some parts of the USA. Sounds like a sleazy little ad to me. The aerial imagery I need isn't in the USA!

Your news really sucks :P

For American coverage this is an awesome price.

The ad states exactly what is available.

Link to subscription page.

My only problem is I was told, before making my purchase, that the Canadian coverage was coming soon and would be part of the subscription. I was told yesterday it probably would be an extra charge when it finally comes available.

Will it stop me from getting another Delorme in the future, probably not. Next time I will email the company so I get the promise in writing.

Normally is is taken by aircraft and is region specific and cost varies.

As Red90 points out, Sat imagery and aerial imagery are not the same although they are both offered in Delorme's map subscription. Delorme mentioned quite some time back in their blog that a new offering of high resolution imagery would soon be available covering areas outside the US and indicated it would be a separate subscription plan than the current offering. I've seen no prices mentioned yet.