International EarthCache Day 2010 - Events

DragonflyTotem

In another thread which asked when the date is (Sunday, 10/10/10), geoaware made a suggestion to get involved by holding an event "in which you showcase EarthCaches in your area." I asked a question there about suggestions and ideas for this type of event, but decided that instead of hijacking that thread and not seeing any other existing thread to discuss 2010 events, I thought that I'd create this thread.

I'm looking for ideas for an event that I do plan on hosting. So far I've already come up with inviting someone from the university to come talk about regional geological features but am hoping that there are more ideas floating about.

Are you planning on holding an event and if so, what activities are you planning on including?

I'm hoping to have one in conjunction with a local 10-10-10 event.

If a photo presentation of different (worldwide) EarthCache sites could be put together to showcase what EarthCaches can be.

The idea of the local geologist is great

I would also suggest discussing the submittal process and logging requirements, so that those unfamiliar with them know that there are different requirements to both log and develop EarthCaches.

You might also use the opportunity to begin a local EC developer support group to help each other to choose sites and to brainstorm logging requirements.

Touching on html and the use of photo's/graphs to create dramatic cache pages would be beneficial as well.

edited to clarify

Edited by catsnfish

I held an Earthcache day event last year. And to showcase the area ECs I help a raffle at the event. Anyone who found an EC on that day got put into a hat and two winners received an EC geocoin. Probably do the same thing this year.

That's an interesting idea! Just received two EC geocoins that I could use for that or something similar. Thanks!

Powerpoint presentation - does anyone have one - or a link to obne that they are willing to share?

I'd appreciate anyone allowing my to use liberally (and acknowldge accordingly) from their previous work.

I have the basics of a presentation that I am developing for the event for the Earthcache day here in Abu Dhabi - but would appreciate any additional input / perspectives on EC from around the globe.

Powerpoint presentation - does anyone have one - or a link to obne that they are willing to share?

I'd appreciate anyone allowing my to use liberally (and acknowldge accordingly) from their previous work.

I have the basics of a presentation that I am developing for the event for the Earthcache day here in Abu Dhabi - but would appreciate any additional input / perspectives on EC from around the globe.

Yep... email me at mrmarkgps@comcast.net so I can return an attachment.

Edited by GEO WALKER