R O A A A A D T R I I I I I P ! ! ! ! ! !

trevorh7000

What are the caches in Bloem like? It looks like louwtjievdw is very creative in his hides, how about the locations? Are they worth the effort?

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVENT CACHE!

So who from Cape Town's up for a 48 hour caching blitz to Bloem

If we leave at 2 am on a Saturday we should be there by 12 pm - a little longer if we stop for caches along the way - but not too far off the track

That leaves us a good 6 hours of cache hunting on the Saturday in day light - we can break for supper and maybe a two hour night caching stint before retiring at 23h00. Then we get up early (5am) on Sunday morning and cache for another 6 hours before leaving for Cape Town at 11am and arriving back home at 1am on Monday morning giving most of us a good 6 hours or more of sleep before work.

Come on Cape Town Cache hounds who's in.......?

Of course the Gautengers and KZN'ers could meet us there - far more leisurely trip for them though!!!!

Stats from Mapsource

JHB to Bloem 391km 5:10 hours

DBN to Bloem 631km 6:37 hours

CTN to Bloem 1000km 12:08 hours

However I think those times can be shaved - I always remember 10 hours to Bloem and then another 4 to Joburg.

If someone has recently driven these perhaps they can report on realistic times for us.

This will separate the big boys from the little boys!!!!!! And the big girls from the little girls!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000
Trev..There are a few places where they do road repairs and have a stop go system. Some places up to 20min.

Why not leave the Friday morning?

This is the kind of info needed to plan an accurate time

Friday morning means a days leave for most people! But sure thats fine.

Drive up Friday morning (caching en-route - arrive late afternoon - check in to accomodation - possible caching while light - or even at night! - dinner - bed

Saturday - whole day caching - dinner - bed

Sunday morning drive back to ct arrive late afternoon.

Sure - that works for me! arround 60 hours for the trip!

Not as hectic as the 48 hour version - but still quite a trip!!!

Does that sound more likely?

Trev

Trev you come across as a naughty student! I love it!

I remember as a student we drove from Johannesburg to Durban on a Friday night to have a milkshake at the Cuban Hat on the Beachfront and then back again! :) That was the days of petrol restrictions as well. My car was chosen as I had a Mini which used the least petrol. 4 students in a Mini for a milkshake!!!! Those were the days! :D

I'll see if I can twist a few wrists this side of Bloemies, and meet you all there.

Will there be an event?

We must certainly make this an event - so we need to keep this in mind as we have to publish what is it at least two weeks in advance!!!!!

Glad there are some individuals considering this madness!!!!

Trev

I would like to break the official record for the finds in Bloemfontein There is a record to beat. If I can’t do this I would like to find more than 50 for the day. Make this an event and I will be there. I am sure Bakgat and/or Wazat will join me. Just keep the weekend of 14 August 2010 open. Gerhard

Count me in.... You know me... Is there a camp ground? Tent is packed and ready to go....

Hmmm, sounds like the sort of mad thing I might be up for.

Definitely have to organise some car pooling though, with petrol what it is... or maybe if there are enough mad hatters involved, a kombi might be in order and we can all share driving and costs.

Anyone have one?

Count me in.... You know me... Is there a camp ground? Tent is packed and ready to go....

We stayed at Reyneke Park on the N8 (Kimberley road) just off the N1.

They have plenty of camping sites and the ablutions looked okay.

We didn't camp but stayed in one of their rooms. TV, fridge, microwave, crockery, cutlery etc. for R350 for 2 people.

They have chalets at R540 for 4 people.

The 'Brendar' cache is almost at their gate.

Definitely have to organise some car pooling though, with petrol what it is... or maybe if there are enough mad hatters involved, a kombi might be in order and we can all share driving and costs.

Definitely the way to go..

BUT..

The first one to ask "Are we there yet?" even before we get to the tunnel............

Are we there yet? :anibad:

So when are we going to turn Bloem upside down?

Gerhard

Right we have sufficient interest!!!!!!

It would be cool to make an event of it as well, Is everyone ok with camping? I am not much of a camper - I hate tents - wll at least those little jobbies that you can;t comfortable swing a cat in! Give me a large army tent and I am ok!

If we plan an event cahce we need to publish it 2 weeks in advance (is that correct) so that will inform any dates chosen.

Now I saw someone mentioned the 14th August - A bit soon I would have thought or else I must publish and event cache tomorrow!

I am pretty flexible if I know a week or two in advance so I will await others

Perhaps those who have expressed an interest could say any weekends which would definitely NOT suit them and may one or two that would be best for them that way we can narrow down a generally agreeable date.

I can't think of anything of earth shattering importance on any weekend in august or september - so I can go any weekend!

Venue, car pooling and other plans will fall into place once we pick the weekend.

Looking forward to it

Trev

Perhaps those who have expressed an interest could say any weekends which would definitely NOT suit them and may one or two that would be best for them that way we can narrow down a generally agreeable date...

I'm fairly flexible, but things can change quick, so once a decision has been made on dates I'll do my best to work around them. My only suggestion would be to it a fair few weeks away to ensure adequate time for organising it properly, maybe first or second weekend in September.

I'm fine with camping, besides its only one night.

The Lesotho Event is happening on the weekend of the 14th/15th August...

To avoid clashing we could look at weekends after that..

That way the guys that committed to that one, can still make the Bloem weekend...

I'll throw my dices first...

Monthend weekends is tricky for me, but if it can't be otherwise, I'll make a plan..

I'll see if I can twist a few wrists this side of Bloemies, and meet you all there.

Will there be an event?

So is 10-12 September looking good for others as well?

Note to Damhuisclan... Remember, you agreed to be one of the speakers at the techno-event on Saturday 11 September... :D We shall have to organise our own road trip unless you have an understudy?

Oh oh!

11th September is not good for me to go to Bloem.

I would have double booked if it were not for Bruce!

Pity though, but any date will not suit everyone.

This is a pity.

I am very flexible. Many others have mentioned the weekend of the 10 - 12 September as being suitable.

Can we all agree on this as he date - or should we try another weekend to accommodate Anton?

Looking forward to this......

Trev

Are we there yet?

I looked at all the Bloem caches this morning, and read some of this logs...

This is gonna be great fun..

I met Oom Louwtjie about a year and a half ago in Mosselbaai..

This was part of the log..

Some youngsters played in the cool, calm waters in the little bay...

A Mom, Pop and kiddie sat near the concrete bridge...

Two teenagers worked on their autumn tan near the parking lot...

Another guy tried to outwit a melting ice cream nearby...

AND >>> One guy with a walking stick stood around staring blankly past me at the sea...

Did the whole caching business without being spotted by anyone... (Or so I thought)...

Walked casually back to the car, and promptly got asked whether I found what I was looking for, by the guy that stood there staring at the sea... (Eish...)

Uh, Uh, No well, uh, I'm just, uh...

He then introduced himself as the owner of the cache...

Great meeting you Louwtjie...

We had a jolly good chat, and he then accompanied me on St. Blaize Trail...

That was in the days before Oom Louwtjie put Bloem on the map...

Can't wait to meet up again..

I will chat to my geocaching buddies, and see if we can drive through on the Sunday. Then we can at least try and meet up the Capetonians.

We could always leave after the event and get down about midnight. Hey... Just think of how many caches we could find between midnight and 6AM while everybody else is still asleep. :D

I will chat to my geocaching buddies, and see if we can drive through on the Sunday. Then we can at least try and meet up the Capetonians.

We could always leave after the event and get down about midnight. Hey... Just think of how many caches we could find between midnight and 6AM while everybody else is still asleep. :D

Well as current thinking goes (I believe) the Cape Town Contingent will be leaving for Cape Town on Sunday morning - so if you guys only arrive Sunday night there won't be much crossover! Perhaps a few early morning caches before breakfast and the long homewards trip.

Trev

The idea is to get to Bloem before 8AM. Then hopefully we can meet up untill about 10 AM.

10 AM you guys leave, and we can do a few caches in the area, and leave about 2PM.

Hopefully we can also say "Attended" for the event.

I like it - thats pretty hardcore!!!!!

Ok then so it looks like this thing will happen.

10-12 September

Now we just need to get Louwtjie involved - anyone know him?

Also we need to come up with a really good name for the Event - of course if you make it to Bloem you attend the event - no problems Anton

I am not thinking too creatively at the moment but how about something like

The Bodacious Bloemfontein And Back Cache Dash!

Over the top but I do like my alliteration, assonance and consonance all seamlessly combined here.

Trev

I took the liberty of informing the cache owner (louwtjie) to join the conversation. Hopefully he will join soon. Then we can place some meat on the skeleton and get things swinging.

I would love to do this one. I will have 3 seats available for those that want to do the caching spree. As long as we hit the 50 mark in one day then I will be happy. To beat the 64 mark, as set by iPajero, will not be that easy. This team can move if they move.

Again this is one of those hunts you do not want to do alone and maybe it is possible to team up with some guys. Maybe we should break the old teams with a team from Gauteng joining up with a team of the Cape. Call the event "Where North meet South". Just an idea. Gerhard

I took the liberty of informing the cache owner (louwtjie) to join the conversation. Hopefully he will join soon. Then we can place some meat on the skeleton and get things swinging.

I would love to do this one. I will have 3 seats available for those that want to do the caching spree. As long as we hit the 50 mark in one day then I will be happy. To beat the 64 mark, as set by iPajero, will not be that easy. This team can move if they move.

Again this is one of those hunts you do not want to do alone and maybe it is possible to team up with some guys. Maybe we should break the old teams with a team from Gauteng joining up with a team of the Cape. Call the event "Where North meet South". Just an idea. Gerhard

In... if finance allows but then you will need to tell me where you leaving from...

Wazat, I will leave from Benoni. But that is also not a train smash. If Bakgat comes along then he will come from Ermelo. We have all bases covered.

The only trick is that I am not going to play around. I cache before sunrise and I stop when it is too dark to see with no moon and only then we get hungry. (Lol) I had a good look at the cache density and this one could be a personal best so one need to give it the best shot. If not then at least you know that you have done your best. ;) I also would like to meet the Cape guys, only Pooks and cownchicken was seen quickly but no real conversation. Pooks and I still have a challenge to do. :P Do not worry Pooks, jy bly my maat van yester en plaat al wil ek soms op en af spring. We will forget about that one, move forward !!!

Gerhard

Sputnik we have a lift off. It is happening. Some positive feedback. Now I will leave it for the other cachers to get the ball rolling. We have cachers that wants to cache and on the other side we have a event. This one could be the one of the year and it all started with a idea. :( Well done Trev.

Gerhard

Goeienaand Gerhard

Ek sien die mense wil Bloemies van weerskante toesak gedurende 10-12 September. Dit sal wonderlik wees om hulle te ontmoet en ek sal baie graag die byeenkoms wil help reel, ongelukkig is ek nie op hoogte hoe om dit te begin nie.

Ek weet byv nie hoe om op Forum deel te neem nie. Ek was vanoggend by Landrover team, hy se hy en j007 sal vanaand gesels om my by te staan. So ek hoop regtig ons sal vir jul iets kan reel.

Groete vanuit n koue Bloemies

LoXXXXXXX XXX XXX XXXX (name is withheld for security)

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Ok then so it looks like this thing will happen.

10-12 September ...

The Bodacious Bloemfontein And Back Cache Dash!

Quite like the name for the event, although maybe it should just be "The Bodacious Bloemfontein Cache Dash!"

While this is all very exciting and I'm certainly keen to be part of what is most likely going to be one of the the most epic caching adventures ever, have you started working out any logistics? Do we know how many of the Cape Town contingent are keen and if anyone has a kombi that we can all go up together and share driving, costs etc. (which would seem to be the most logical way to do it) and what those costs will be?

Unfortunately, the reality is that this will be a determining factor for me.

I e-mailed oom Louwtjie and asked if I can help with the event - say the Saturday night, maybe a bring and braai on my plot. Will that be acceptable? Still waiting for louwtjies reply.

Ok Momentum is gathering and the word is getting out.

So it looks like the 10-12 is the weekend.

I don't have a tent - I hate tents especially those silly two man jobbies. An army tent which is the size a a normal size room in a house is fine! anything smaller forget. So I propose an accomodation venue which has both camping for the tent dwellers and rooms for the tent haters - I don't actually need a room I am happy under the stars as long as it is not gonna rain or get dew - ie under a lean to or something.

Cownchicken mentioned a place. Does anyone else have any suggestions.

Dan404 perhaps you could send me the coords of your spot in a PM or email and I can check it out on GE.

I will put together a listing for the event and post it or louwtjie want to list it? Then once we have a venue - the sleepover place should be the coords to the event I think - we can finalize the listing and submit it.

Then I guess it is to organise into manageable sized teams - probably dictated in size by the number of vehicles. Maybe a general best route option can be devised before hand and various teasm can attack from different ends or points - probably crossing each other on the course.

I guess there will be some locals that will join in and provide some extra vehicles.

Will we have a north-vs-south team battle?!

Looking forward to this - so if the Bloem locals can recommend some other accommodation venues that will be cool.

Trev

I spoke to Louwtjie on the phone just now. He asked me to try and arrange the event(s)

Tomorrow I will go to Reynekepark and get the information on prices and types of accommodation and publish here. Will also look at other options. If it is OK I will publish two events - the caching event as at Reynekepark or other site and an event for Saturday night about 20h00 as a bring and braai at my plot. We have a big Lapa and house!

We are only a few cachers here but transport can be arranged.

I spoke to Louwtjie on the phone just now. He asked me to try and arrange the event(s)

Tomorrow I will go to Reynekepark and get the information on prices and types of accommodation and publish here. Will also look at other options. If it is OK I will publish two events - the caching event as at Reynekepark or other site and an event for Saturday night about 20h00 as a bring and braai at my plot. We have a big Lapa and house!

We are only a few cachers here but transport can be arranged.

Ok Reyneke parks is what CnC recommended check them out here http://www.reynekepark.co.za

Looks fine to me and they have camping and rooms.

Two events are better than one!!!!1 We are really setting the caching scene in Bloem alight!

I've also emailed RP for prices and availability on this weekend. - Ok I called and chalet for 4 is 650 which is a room with a double bed with two singles in the living room area - self catering

Its R520 for 4 in rooms which are not self catering

Camping is R200 per site of 5 people.

Camping will be no problem and they have a few rooms / chalets available now - but they may become booked.....

I looked at hiring a 8 seater kombi for the Cape Town leg and based on a 7 day hire with unlimited mileage it will cost about R8000 - why 7 days? because its about R2000 cheaper than renting on a daily option and having to pay R3.90 per kilometre - I estimated 2500 km for the trip. So if we get 8 people it will be just over R1000 a person to get there and back

So total for the trip could be something like R100 accom (camping) R1250 car hire R200 meals (self catered) for a total of about R1550 - add R150 for that case of beer you know you are gonna consume if you are not driving and you get R1700

If we use a private car and arrange to share petrol and work out a suitable per km fee for wear and tear it could be much cheaper.

I only have a two seater bakkie that I would be more than willing to take if necessary - but then it could take all the camping gear in the back and another 4 seater sedan would provide for a total of six people from Cape Town

Apologies for the long post - kind of thinking out load!!!!

Trev

Edited by trevorh7000

Thanks for the coordinates CnC and the website trevorh7000!

The prices:

Chalet: R650 per night with 1 double bed and two singles. (At the moment 4 available)

Room: R520 per night with 4 beds. At the moment 6 available.

Camping: R200 per night max 5 persons per stand. All available.

Tel no for bookings: 0515233888

I will start compiling the event today!