Travel Bug etiquette???

dreddd2000

There's a cacher in our area who's managed to grab three TBs I've been watching. One of mine and two others, I had already moved on. That's not bad, people grab TBs all the time.

Here's what I'm questioning. He's had my bug since March 9th and seems to be loggin my bug in and out of every cache he goes to. My bug hasn't stopped moving, but it isn't really getting anywhere either. I had hopes that it would move beyond the local metro area, you know?

So, what is the appropriate way to deal with someone playing this game?

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin; the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentance is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. --Lazarus Long

If it were my bug, I think I would assign a new task to the bug's webpage, such as indicate a specific destination for the bug or something like that then email to the cacher/holder of the bug telling them that there is a new goal for your TB and to see the bug's web page for details. If the destination is far enough away then he would drop it off...

Surely you're not talking about your "Bugbait" travel bug, are you?

Looks like it has travelled nicely, and the user logged it in several caches over three days on his way down to Austin, TX.

There's no rule against logging bugs in-and-out of caches, but it seems to me this person was just doing it to better show the travels.

?????

George

I've just come back from a trip from San Diego to Spokane. Did a bunch of geocaching along the way and picked up/dropped off several Travel Bugs on the way. The ones that I was taking a long distance I did some of the drop off and immediately retrieve actions to log in some of their travels. In general I did it once per state that I was travelling through. Does that sound like a reasonable approach? Logging a TB in and out of every cache you do seems rather excessive.

One question I had was what about microcaches that are obviously too small for the TB to fit in? Do other cachers think that logging a TB in and out of such a cache is bad etiquette? Or is it okay for the purpose of showing the bug's travels? (To see exactly what I'm talking about, look at the travel map for Gloria Gorilla and Babe TB, and in particular, look at the picture I posted for the 2:53 PM at Rosehill Cache.)

You know, they say timing is everything, and apparently mine stinks. icon_frown.gif I wasn't online yesterday (doing the family thing, don't you know) so I hadn't had a chance to see what was going on. It seems that the bugs have been released now. That's what I mean about my timing: if I had waited one more day before posting, it would have been a moot point. icon_rolleyes.gif

I owe the poor guy an apology it seems. I've helped some travel bugs along, myself, but I always ran under the personal rule that I did everything I could to release any bug I took within a week. I'd never thought of the idea of logging a bug in and out just to give a clearer idea of its' travels. Well, live, learn and own up to your mistakes, eh? Next time I'll be more patient. icon_wink.gif

the_irving: I suppose that if you're just doing it to better track it's travels, then even logging a bug into and out of a microcache might be cool. I personally don't think I'm going to start doing it this way, but if I did decide to for some reason, I think I might make sure I put it in my logs that I was putting it in and out to show the route it took on a trip. Heck, depending on the route you took, it might even help the bug log more miles.

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin; the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentance is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity. --Lazarus Long