Permissions Question

DragonflyTotem

I have a question about the permissions aspect of submission. It seems that what is in the guidelines at EC are geared toward parks, etc. that have land managers and such. I'm interested in submitting an earthcache that would be located at a scenic observation stop along a public highway. Am I correct that in this particular situation I don't need to worry about permissions ("When applicable you must have written approval with the appropriate owner or land-managing agency.") since it is a public highway and a public scenic stop with public parking?

Probably a question best answered by your Local Earthcache Reviewer, but I suspect the answer is, "it depends" :yikes:

At the very least, I would probably include a Note to the Reviewer with an explanation of the site, and what Agency manages the area. I suspect that submitting a Listing without such information would probably raise more questions. Showing you did a little homework demonstrates that you at least made the effort.

Kind of a case in point, out here in CA, we have several major highways that pass through National Park Service land. Pullouts and scenic vistas would be under NPS control, and would require explicit permission from the NPS. Just an example of how muddy the water gets.

Good luck!

Probably a question best answered by your Local Earthcache Reviewer, but I suspect the answer is, "it depends" :yikes:

At the very least, I would probably include a Note to the Reviewer with an explanation of the site, and what Agency manages the area. I suspect that submitting a Listing without such information would probably raise more questions. Showing you did a little homework demonstrates that you at least made the effort.

Kind of a case in point, out here in CA, we have several major highways that pass through National Park Service land. Pullouts and scenic vistas would be under NPS control, and would require explicit permission from the NPS. Just an example of how muddy the water gets.

Good luck!

I do know our local reviewers but if I understand the submission process, EarthCaches don't go through the local review process? If so, I haven't been able to figure out who to ask that of, which is kinda how I ended up posting it in the forum.

You are correct. The easiest way to find your Local EC Reviewer is to find an EC Listing, click on the Nearest Caches of this Type link and see if there are any recently Published EC's. The first Log Entry will be the Publish Log with the associated EC Reviewer.

Failing that route (which would, by no means, be foolproof), your next best option is to contact Groundspeak to forward your question to the correct EC Reviewer (contact@geocaching.com).

I have seen a few Earthcaches on public lands where it's hard to imagine that permission could have been obtained (for example by the side of a highway). I've also seen some posts in this forum from Earthcachers who claim they have published Earthcaches on public lands without having to get permission. Of course, as mentioned, it's all up to your local reviewer.

If all else fails, write up the Earthcache and submit it with an explanatory note and see what happens. I believe the chances are good you won't be wasting your time.

Edited by Arby Gee

You are correct. The easiest way to find your Local EC Reviewer is to find an EC Listing, click on the Nearest Caches of this Type link and see if there are any recently Published EC's. The first Log Entry will be the Publish Log with the associated EC Reviewer.

Failing that route (which would, by no means, be foolproof), your next best option is to contact Groundspeak to forward your question to the correct EC Reviewer (contact@geocaching.com).

Great suggestion -- but not sure what to do with what I've now learned! I looked at every EC within about 100 miles of me, most were approved in 2007 or 2008. I did find one what had been approved in 2010. The reviewers for all but the 2010 was Geoaware, and the 2010 was GeoawareCA. So it looks like ours around here in Virginia are being approved by EC reviewers not local.

Added: I noted that on GeoawareCA's profile that he/she encourages asking questions so I went ahead and did that.

Edited by drdan01
I looked at every EC within about 100 miles of me, most were approved in 2007 or 2008. I did find one what had been approved in 2010. The reviewers for all but the 2010 was Geoaware, and the 2010 was GeoawareCA. So it looks like ours around here in Virginia are being approved by EC reviewers not local.

Most areas don't have "resident" EC reviewers. Your local EC reviewer will usually be someone far, far away.

Even though it's a bit old, you may want to take a look at this EC as an example of an EC on public lands in your region:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...74-26a9a1bdf807

Edited by Arby Gee
I looked at every EC within about 100 miles of me, most were approved in 2007 or 2008. I did find one what had been approved in 2010. The reviewers for all but the 2010 was Geoaware, and the 2010 was GeoawareCA. So it looks like ours around here in Virginia are being approved by EC reviewers not local.

Most areas don't have "resident" EC reviewers. Your local EC reviewer will usually be someone far, far away.

Even though it's a bit old, you may want to take a look at this EC as an example of an EC on public lands in your region:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...74-26a9a1bdf807

Thanks!

All of my Earthcaches are roadside caches because there are no parks or other spaces where the features can be seen. When I submitted them, I just filled in the permission contact info to say "public road" and they were all approved without hassle.

Yup, and I did get the same answer from a reviewer - as long as it's not a road passing through a national park or forest.

Thanks!