Am I bad?

I'm going to wildwood tomorrow! I can't wait to finally get a cache in another state other then PA for the stat thing... While my family is going to be riding the waves, and getting a tan. I'll be geocaching all along the boardwalk... Including getting my second earthcache, the dunes in wildwood... Has anyone else did this on vacation? Or am I just bad?

are there any other reasons for going on vacation than caching?

Or to visit relatives for that matter? :yikes:

This ninja might be planning a geocaching trip that happens to end near relatives.

My resistance for visiting my in-laws dropped dramatically once I saw how many caches there were around their place :D

As for caching on vacation, I just completed a 3 week road trip where we cached some days, did touristy things on other days. I cached 13 states and 2 provinces. Not to shabby ;)

Or am I just bad?

I met my wife through geocaching, but ironically she is a noncacher.

I was expressly forbidden to geocache on my honeymoon, yet I still got 2 caches in Key West, 1 in Grand Caymen, and 1 in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. :yikes:

Bad..No. You are a cacher as am I.

I'm going to wildwood tomorrow! I can't wait to finally get a cache in another state other then PA for the stat thing... While my family is going to be riding the waves, and getting a tan. I'll be geocaching all along the boardwalk... Including getting my second earthcache, the dunes in wildwood... Has anyone else did this on vacation? Or am I just bad?

All the time. The first thing I do when I travel is to run a pocket query from the area I'm headed to. If we are driving I'll also do a route PQ.

It usually turns out that I find only a cache or two during my trip. But excusing yourself to find a few caches doesn't make you a bad person, it means you are a geocacher.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, a recent 2 hour drive up north ended up taking 5 hours...

Our whole family would be in the van and my wife would be refreshing her GPS Cache list, "Oh, there's another one just ahead on the right!"

I rented a car unnecessarily so I could cache on the way to a reunion in Wisconsin. Well, it also got me out of a crowded car with a carsick child :yikes: Got a lot of caches though, even in the rain.

I pretty much always include a little caching when I am on vacation or visiting relatives out of my own local area. I mean, hey, its part of what I do and part of who I am. :yikes:

When I take an extended photography trip, I probably spend as much time planning my caching activities as I do my photo itinerary. After all, the best photo ops are around sun-up and sun-down. The rest of the day would be a lot less fun just driving from one location to the next without my caching stops along the way!

So, don't doubt yourself. As the great American Ben Franklin once said (and I paraphrase), "cache proudly!"

[He said that, really. I know. I read it on the internet.]

I haven't yet gone on a vacation specifically for geocaching but when I travel (usually more fore business than on vacation) I almost always try to do some geocaching, even if it's to find a cache in a new State or Country in which I had not previously found out. I have also...

Stayed at a specific hotel based on it's proximity to some nearby geocaches. I did that in the Netherlands and Johannesburg, South Africa.

Flown into an airport two hours away instead of the closest to my destination, then rented a car so that I could finds some caches in two new states instead of one. I justified that one because I also saved the organization that paid for my travel over 100 by doing so.

Stayed an extra night at a hotel and took a later flight home so I'd have some free time to do some geocaching.

Selected an itinerary with a longer layover in transit airports so I had time to go out and find a few caches in a new country (France). I also flew through Frankfurt on my last trip to Europe partially so that I could grab the virtual located in the terminal there.

Took different routes to/from a vacation in Maine so that I could grab a few caches in Vermont on the way home.

Taken the scenic route instead of the interstate so that I could grab some more interesting caches instead of ones a rest stops.

Although not every travel decision was based solely geocaching, the geocaching opportunities often influenced my travel plans.

Yes you are bad. You deserve a

Almost All of my travel for the past 8 years has involved some geocaching, or been planned around it.

Guess I need a spanking too? :yikes:

The little woman pointed out that all of our major vacations have been to attend Events & Mega Events and she requested a change after this year. I agreed (she's absolutely right.) to rotate, so this year mayyyy have been the end of my 6 GeoWoodstock streak unless I fly in and do a cache and dash weekend, but it's too soon to tell.

I had enough fun at GW8 to last me to GW10 if that is the outcome. :D

All of my travel for the past 8 years has involved some geocaching, or been planned around it.

Same here. I've found caches in 42 states, and the majority of my cache finds are more than 100 miles away from my home. Geocaching shows me the places that the locals know about, but that aren't featured in the tourist guidebooks. And, most of the tourist sites will have caches nearby, so planning a trip is a breeze. I love the freedom of traveling around at random to look for caches.

I don't think that's bad at all.

No doubt you are bad, or maybe that's just my Calvinist upbringing coming out. But it's no sin to geocache while on vacation!

Every time I travel, whether for business or pleasure, I include at least one geocache. If I'm driving, and my route takes me through a state where I've not previously found a cache, I'll stop and find at least one. It might only be a rest area cache or a truck stop lamp post, but I'll take any opportunity to color a new state on my cache.

I got married in May, and we're planning a honeymoon trip to Jamaica in December. We're staying at an all-inclusive resort. They'll pick us up at the airport in a bus, take us across the island to the resort, and return us to the airport at the end. So I'll miss the cache near the Montego Bay airport, and there are no traditional caches near the resort. But no worries... I've booked a side trip to a spectacular waterfall that also happens to be an earthcache!

I used to schedule alot of time during vacation for geocaching. That caused problems so I now only find a few. At the very least, I find a cache in each new place we visit. This practice has led to finds in China, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Norway, Russia, Spain, and Sweden. Oops. I almost forgot Arkansas.

Edited by sbell111

My vacations always involve geocaching. I wouldn't plan a vacation that didn't.

I feel very sorry for people with families who "forbid" them from geocaching on vacation.

God forbid that you make such a gigantic sacrifice for the benefit of your family who you know does not share your interest in geocaching.

If someone's family actually "forbids" them from doing a reasonable amount of geocaching while on vacation and a geocacher who, when on a family vacation, cannot make reasonable accommodation for the wishes of his family, then you has gots yourself a family with waaaayyyy more deeply seated issues than finding a piece of tupperware in a bush.

Geocaching shows me the places that the locals know about, but that aren't featured in the tourist guidebooks.

Thanks for reminding me/us about that very important aspect of geotourism. Caching puts a very interesting filter on your travel experiences. For example, if you go to Arlington National Cemetery the virtual caches there will start you at the more familiar graves and memorials. But then they will take you on an adventure across the property to visit spots that aren't as heavily visited, but perhaps should be, and have a very interesting connection to the first stage. I cannot be more specific without providing spoilers.

I feel very sorry for people with families who "forbid" them from geocaching on vacation.

God forbid that you make such a gigantic sacrifice for the benefit of your family who you know does not share your interest in geocaching.

If someone's family actually "forbids" them from doing a reasonable amount of geocaching while on vacation and a geocacher who, when on a family vacation, cannot make reasonable accommodation for the wishes of his family, then you has gots yourself a family with waaaayyyy more deeply seated issues than finding a piece of tupperware in a bush.

It was more of a don't ask don't tell thang with me. I got her point. The caches I got on my no geocaching allowed honeymoon fit my convenient caching style. I didn't go out of my way for any of them. 3 of the virts were part of our destination and the one physical cache was picked up while she was immearsed in jewlery overload. Win-Win. :)

She knew I had my 60csx with me and was even interested to see our ship's track log.

Caching is always on my mind even if I don't go out to cache every day, I have literally 20+ hide projects going on or I'm planning an event, or on one geocaching forum or another. It wasn't too much for her to ask for a break from all the geo-talk and planning for our honeymoon since she doesn't share my enthusiasm. Don't ask don't tell worked well there. :D

Lesseee. 2 trips to Europe specifically to geocache. A trip to the UK planned for later this year, specifically to geocache. Several driving trips around the US specifically for geocaching, but also visited family along the way. This included a 3-week drive to Tennessee and back last year for GeoWoodstock where we found 1,500 caches during the trip. Two years ago I went to Alaska to go fishing with my dad. I flew in 2 days early so I could find all 14 caches around town before he arrived.

Funny thing is I hardly ever cache around home.

Geocaching shows me the places that the locals know about, but that aren't featured in the tourist guidebooks.

Thanks for reminding me/us about that very important aspect of geotourism. Caching puts a very interesting filter on your travel experiences. For example, if you go to Arlington National Cemetery the virtual caches there will start you at the more familiar graves and memorials. But then they will take you on an adventure across the property to visit spots that aren't as heavily visited, but perhaps should be, and have a very interesting connection to the first stage. I cannot be more specific without providing spoilers.

My dad is buried there, not far from the Pentagon. I'll have to check that one out. :)

:) Am I Bad?

I only attend professional workshops where I know there will be a cache-rich environment. It breaks the monotony of listening to someone speak about things that I am only half-interested in. Plus, before and after, it helps pass the time.

Edited by trailhound1

I live in a tourist destination. During the summer, particularly weekends, thousands of people flood into Santa Cruz and to do touristy things, tan on the beach, ride the coaster at the Boardwalk, surf, hike, mountain bike, etc. Meanwhile, I slink over the hill in the other direction and chuckle at my craftiness as I wade through fields of cockleburs, flail through clouds of gnats, fry in the 90 degree heat and fall into Coyote Creek and stink like a swamp all the way home.

Wouldn't have it any other way. :)

I noticed that you used the word 'reasonable' in your post twice. I think that it is important to realize that whether X amount of caching is 'reasonable' is the very negotiation that determines how much or how little time one will spend playing this silly game while on vacation. Edited by sbell111

I guess if I don't share my family's interest in the beach, they should sacrifice that on vacation too?

It just seems entirely illogical and cruel to go on vacation - the point of which, I assume, is to have a nice time - and then forbid one member of the family from doing something they enjoy that can easily be accommodated while on vacation.

I hate the beach (but I love the ocean). Yet, every year we go and everyone makes fun of me laying out with a towel over me and sitting under a big umbrella. I burn easily, but I go because my family enjoys it.

They aren't into geocaching nearly as much as I am. But when we go on vacation, they agree to set aside some time to go find caches.

That's what families do.

I think I have found at least one cache everytime we leave our little area. I took a 2 day crash tour of Chicago with my boys for school and was able to find 1 while there. Just let them play while I made the find at Navy Pier. Any day trips to a new skate park always promt me to check the site and excuse my self for a quick find. The family is not always happy but they are ok for the most part.

I think I have found at least one cache everytime we leave our little area. I took a 2 day crash tour of Chicago with my boys for school and was able to find 1 while there. Just let them play while I made the find at Navy Pier. Any day trips to a new skate park always promt me to check the site and excuse my self for a quick find. The family is not always happy but they are ok for the most part.

If you're driving you can always go for the rest stop caches. :)

If you're driving you can always go for the rest stop caches. :)

That's true, they make for good leg stretchers and restroom breaks!

My family are noncachers. They will put up with some of the things I do, but on vacations and trips I have to watch how I use the catching credits. A lamp post hide is not going to be popular. A 30 minute hunt is not going to cut it.

But on the other hand, my wife has had to admit that caching has taken us to some great places that we would not have discovered otherwise. Many of these places have been earthcaches and virtuals. I can usually sell the family on visiting those. But before leaving I always check the route and the destination to see if there are caches where we otherwise plan on visiting, or if there are any that promise to take us to unique areas that we should not miss. Sometimes I can sell them on a cache if it has an interesting title, or if we just happen to be in the area. Other times, they may want to rest or shop.

Sometimes my wife suggests that we should take a trip without the gpsr, but we usually manage to work it out without resorting to such drastic measures.

:) Am I Bad?

I only attend professional workshops where I know there will be a cache-rich environment. It breaks the monotony of listening to someone speak about things that I am only half-interested in. Plus, before and after, it helps pass the time.

Does the family seem to enjoy those workshops too?

It was more of a don't ask don't tell thang with me. I got her point. The caches I got on my no geocaching allowed honeymoon fit my convenient caching style. I didn't go out of my way for any of them. 3 of the virts were part of our destination and the one physical cache was picked up while she was immearsed in jewlery overload. Win-Win. :)

She knew I had my 60csx with me and was even interested to see our ship's track log.

Caching is always on my mind even if I don't go out to cache every day, I have literally 20+ hide projects going on or I'm planning an event, or on one geocaching forum or another. It wasn't too much for her to ask for a break from all the geo-talk and planning for our honeymoon since she doesn't share my enthusiasm. Don't ask don't tell worked well there. B)

If someone's family actually "forbids" them from doing a reasonable amount of geocaching while on vacation and a geocacher who, when on a family vacation, cannot make reasonable accommodation for the wishes of his family, then you has gots yourself a family with waaaayyyy more deeply seated issues than finding a piece of tupperware in a bush. :P:D:D:):P:DB):D:P

It's VACATION! It's supposed to be how you want it! And if you want to geocache you should!

It's VACATION! It's supposed to be how you want it! And if you want to geocache you should!

If you are single and vacation alone, this is entirely true. However, when you vacation with family you have to consider more than just your own desires.

Whenever we travel anywhere, I always try and get in at least one or two caches if we have time, especially if it is somewhere new (a new county to colour in on my map :P)

My family tend to raise a little eyebrow when I produce the GPS, and nobody else ever suggests caching except me, iyswim, but they all seem to enjoy it, and none of them have complained yet.

What we haven’t done yet is plan a trip with caching as the main purpose. Single days out, yes, but not longer trips away. I’m not sure how well that would go down with the family. We just fit the caching in around whatever else we are there to do.

As for the OP – course you’re not bad, you’re a perfectly normal addict like the rest of us :laughing: