Idea for FTF reward

CrayshandFamily

I'm new at geocaching and I'm totally obsessed with it. I've found 22 caches so far and I was thinking about putting 1 or 2 of my own out there. I have this idea of a premium membership as a reward for FTF but to order the membership you need the persons account name, which you won't have untill the find is made. I was wandering if they could make changes to the system so that you can choose to get a code when you buy the membership so that anyone could use it. I think that there are quite a few people who would appreciate this. I know I would. And it's not just for new members. It would give a premium member another year as well. Plus it could be a gift to someone who has not yet made an account. Groundspeak would not be out anything and this could be a chance to introduce many new people to the game. Please share your thoughts.

Just put a little certificate in the cache or post it in the listing that FTF gets a premium membership gift.

Once the FTF posts, you can click on his/her name and go to their profile. From there it is easy to purchase a gift membership for that person.

Thats a good idea. I might do that for starters but I would really like to see the code thing happen cause it could give people a chance to gift easier and at random if they wish. Great birthday or Christmas gifts(well at least I would think so). Thank you for the suggestion. I really like it.

Edited by CrayshandFamily

I'm new at geocaching and I'm totally obsessed with it. I've found 22 caches so far and I was thinking about putting 1 or 2 of my own out there. I have this idea of a premium membership as a reward for FTF but to order the membership you need the persons account name, which you won't have untill the find is made. I was wandering if they could make changes to the system so that you can choose to get a code when you buy the membership so that anyone could use it. I think that there are quite a few people who would appreciate this. I know I would. And it's not just for new members. It would give a premium member another year as well. Plus it could be a gift to someone who has not yet made an account. Groundspeak would not be out anything and this could be a chance to introduce many new people to the game. Please share your thoughts.

Having a code for a gift certificate type is a great idea. I don't want to discourage anybody's generosity, but remember that many FTF hounds already are premium members -- I don't know anyone in my area who regularly gets FTFs who is not a premium member, but your area may be different. Peerhaps you could set up the prize to apply to the first cacher who visits the cache who is not already a premium member.

Edited by mulvaney

..snip.., but remember that many FTF hounds already are premium members -- I don't know anyone in my area who regularly gets FTFs who is not a premium member, ..snip..

So true. In fact, one almost HAS to be a PM to get the Notification to be able to claim an FTF. Just an observation. Back OT, you could also purchase a prepaid credit card to place in the cache, clearly labeling it for its intended use.

PS, it's a very nice gesture indeed!

Having a code for a gift certificate type is a great idea. I don't want to discourage anybody's generosity, but remember that many FTF hounds already are premium members -- I don't know anyone in my area who regularly gets FTFs who is not a premium member, but your area may be different. Peerhaps you could set up the prize to apply to the first cacher who visits the cache who is not already a premium member.

You know, that's another great idea. That would certainly help out to get more people involved. I see many different ways this could be going. I LIKE it!!! Keep it coming people. This is good stuff. Thanks everyone for the great ideas and insight.