Maps to Data Card

budbon

No. Pre-programed card cannot be written to. You can either use a blank card and download maps to it and you can also put maps on the internal memory.

Has anyone tried giving the map on the card a new name, then sending another mapset to the card, to see if they might both work?

I know on my Oregon, as long as I rename the gmapsupp.img file to somethingelse.img, both maps will work.

So I download the maps using the computer to put them on the card and then put the card into the GPS?

Many of the free maps are selfinstalling. You download them; run the .exe file; and then use MapSource or BaseCamp (or MAC software) to build a gmapsupp.img file which goes to the GPSr.

Some mapsets come as a gmapsupp.img (or somename.img) file and go directly to the GPSr (those which can handle somename.img files).

Best NOT to try adding to a Garmin preprogramed card - if something does not work, Garmin will likely not replace the card.

I am self taught in word processors, spreadsheets, CAD, photo editing and the like. So now I get involved :yikes: with geocaching and I have a whole new language to learn. gmapsupp.img , MapSource, BaseCamp etc:) I'm having fun slogging around in this new enviorment but whew! I hope all of the information puzzles I am looking at find a place in my cranium. :D;)

So I download the maps using the computer to put them on the card and then put the card into the GPS?

Best NOT to try adding to a Garmin preprogramed card - if something does not work, Garmin will likely not replace the card.

Where's the danger if you've backed up the information on the card first to your computer?

In fact I just tried it - I took my Garmin preprogrammed City Nav North America NT 2009 Micro SD chip and renamed gpapsupp.img to NT2009.img, and added another mapset, the Canada Enhanced Basemap, and in my Oregon, I was able to see the NT maps and the Enhanced Basemaps as choices in the map setup screen.

I'm sure the newer 62/78 models would also behave the same way.

So, in summary, as long as your gps can handle maps named other than gmapsupp.img, you are good to go to add other maps to your preprogrammed card but you must rename the existing maps so they are not overwritten if you use Mapsource or Basecamp to load the maps.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

In fact I just tried it - I took my Garmin preprogrammed City Nav North America NT 2009 Micro SD chip and renamed gpapsupp.img to NT2009.img, and added another mapset, the Canada Enhanced Basemap, and in my Oregon, I was able to see the NT maps and the Enhanced Basemaps as choices in the map setup screen.

Thanks for the info. You are the first I have heard that actually tried it.

Besides copying the file to the computer, I changed the attribute on the included mapset to read-only.

Thanks for the info. You are the first I have heard that actually tried it.

Besides copying the file to the computer, I changed the attribute on the included mapset to read-only.

The only real drawback is that Garmin's data cards tend to be fairly small, 2 gigabytes, so you're not going to get a lot of other mapsets on there, but it can be done, anyway.

Maybe we can persuade Garmin to sell larger cards so the map they are selling can co-exist with others people might already own on dvd or cd and plan to install on the cards?

Whew! Okay, I downloaded files from GPSFileDepot for Colorado. When I opened the files I had a number of .img files such as 8001100.img, 8001102.img and so on. I put these in the C drive under Garmin/ Colorado. So... how do I get them to my 62s? I can use the usb cable to open the Garmin files. Then what? Help

Also, is mapsource supposed to be loaded with the Garmin GPS?

The only real drawback is that Garmin's data cards tend to be fairly small, 2 gigabytes, so you're not going to get a lot of other mapsets on there, but it can be done, anyway.

Maybe we can persuade Garmin to sell larger cards so the map they are selling can co-exist with others people might already own on dvd or cd and plan to install on the cards?

There are 2 very simple and handy programs which can be downloaded from the Internet which will allow you to move the Maps from a Garmin pre-programmed micro-SD Card to a larger capacity SDHC Card. You can re-code the Maps to the new card's ID.

I think it makes sense to put in the highest capacity card that you can afford.

There are 2 very simple and handy programs which can be downloaded from the Internet which will allow you to move the Maps from a Garmin pre-programmed micro-SD Card to a larger capacity SDHC Card. You can re-code the Maps to the new card's ID.

I think it makes sense to put in the highest capacity card that you can afford.

What is the name of the programs?

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

No real need to use Garmin mapsets. They're expensive and cannot be user updated. GPS filedepot has a respectable collection of topo maps which I load to my GPSr out of habit, but the real workhorse is OSM routable maps. The info is not perfect, but they navigate reasonably well on my etrex vista HCX and if you find errors you can correct them. Google "Garmin routable Open Street Map" You download the map set and install it in mapsource, then select the tiles and mapsource sends them to your GPS data card. You can select tiles from multiple mapsets and it sends the entire selection. In the GPSr you can turn off the sets you don't want to see.

Edited by ras_oscar

No real need to use Garmin mapsets. They're expensive and cannot be user updated. GPS filedepot has a respectable collection of topo maps which I load to my GPSr out of habit, but the real workhorse is OSM routable maps. The info is not perfect, but they navigate reasonably well on my etrex vista HCX and if you find errors you can correct them. Google "Garmin routable Open Street Map" You download the map set and install it in mapsource, then select the tiles and mapsource sends them to your GPS data card. You can select tiles from multiple mapsets and it sends the entire selection. In the GPSr you can turn off the sets you don't want to see.

Being new to all of this, your talking about what to do seems to be what I need but the how to escapes me. Are there any tutorials that might walk me thru step by step to get these maps on my 62s?

Being new to all of this, your talking about what to do seems to be what I need but the how to escapes me. Are there any tutorials that might walk me thru step by step to get these maps on my 62s?

This is the web site, and it has instructions.

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php