Amateur Radio in Western Washington

Criminal

After reading the reviews on this unit it sounded too good to pass up. I just ordered one for 2M and 1.25M with several accessories. Wouxun is coming out with a mobile unit in the near future, pricing and release date unknown.

I'm thinking of picking one up in the near future to throw in my glove box as an emergency spare. Please post up a review after you've gotten a chance to play with it.

EDIT to add: Can you say why you went with the 1¼ band over 70cm? I have that band in my VX-8 but haven't heard much activity there.

Edited by Criminal

After reading the reviews on this unit it sounded too good to pass up. I just ordered one for 2M and 1.25M with several accessories. Wouxun is coming out with a mobile unit in the near future, pricing and release date unknown.

I'm thinking of picking one up in the near future to throw in my glove box as an emergency spare. Please post up a review after you've gotten a chance to play with it.

EDIT to add: Can you say why you went with the 1¼ band over 70cm? I have that band in my VX-8 but haven't heard much activity there.

1.25 meters has always intrigued me and it's hard to find radios that offer the band for a reasonable price. It was a selling point that it was available on this unit. I understand some local cachers regularly make use of the band and its lack of activity could be a blessing in some situations. Also, the wavelength is long enough to be affected by a number of propagation modes. I ordered an antenna BNC adapter so I can mess around with yagi antennas too. This is my first HT so if I like it I can always upgrade. I'll post my impressions of the unit after I've played with it a while.

1.25 meters has always intrigued me and it's hard to find radios that offer the band for a reasonable price. It was a selling point that it was available on this unit. I understand some local cachers regularly make use of the band and its lack of activity could be a blessing in some situations. Also, the wavelength is long enough to be affected by a number of propagation modes. I ordered an antenna BNC adapter so I can mess around with yagi antennas too. This is my first HT so if I like it I can always upgrade. I'll post my impressions of the unit after I've played with it a while.

That’s interesting. I might have to do the same if/when I order one. My VX-8DR only does 1½ watts on 222, and it looks like the Wouxun is either 4 or 5.

On a related note, I ordered a dual band Slim Jim antenna to tote along on hikes. (More info here) We were juuuuuust barely able to make it out in the bowl of Whitehorse Basin and I think we could do a lot better if I could have gotten an antenna 16’ up in one of the trees. The antenna gets rave reviews, and as a dual band design it gives at least one more option. I’ll post up something when it arrives and I’ve had a chance to try it out. He also makes a single band version that he'll tune to 222 for you, so it would work great even as a home antenna if you're going to use that band.

ant_hang.jpg

I am going to order one of these today. It will be my first radio, and I was wondering which of the three would be best for someone's first. The 216-280, 350-470 or the 420-520?

I would also like to thank Criminal for starting this thread. Looks like there are a lot of us that have thought about getting a ham license, and just needed this push to do it. :D

There is a lot less activity on 1.25 meters than on both 2 or 3/4 meters. I would opt for the 2 and 3/4 meter bands.

I am new at this, I haven't even had a chance to use my licence since I got it.

which of the three is the 2 and 3/4 meter band?

I'm sure I needed to know that when studying for the licence, but like many things you learn, until you use it a few times it can be hard to remember. :huh:

A quick checks indicates the 136 - 174 mhz & 420 - 520 mhz would be the 2 meter, and the 70 Cm bands. Is that correct?

From my reading that seems to be the best to start with. I've just never seen them referred to 1.25 or 3/4.

I may have got my license, but I still have a lot to learn. :):o

A quick checks indicates the 136 - 174 mhz & 420 - 520 mhz would be the 2 meter, and the 70 Cm bands. Is that correct?

From my reading that seems to be the best to start with. I've just never seen them referred to 1.25 or 3/4.

I may have got my license, but I still have a lot to learn. :):o

You got it right. 300/frequency = meters, likewise 300/meters = frequency. So 144 Mhz is roughly 2 meters and 440 Mhz is roughly 3/4 meters or 70cm.

Along with my vx-6r I just ordered a Yaaesu FT-2900R to toss in the truck. I have got the bug of making antennas and am really surprised what a coathanger and some bailing wire can do.

In the past before I lost 3 tendions attached to my right roto-cuff, I did a lot of antenna construction. I once had 24 elements

(two 12 element yagi) up at 70 feet on two meters. With 10 watts I could talk direct from Vancouver to Vancouver and hit the Eastern Washington

repeaters. The only problem was the directivity was very sharp. Antenna construction is a lot of fun. We are leaving in the morning to geocache in your area. 73 Dick

Edited by W7WT

WOW, that was quick! I ordered the Wouxun on June 15th, and it got here today. :)

I think it will take longer to figure out how to set it up and use it, than it took to get it. :o

I thought you would just get the radio, turn it on and start listening, and sending. But I guess not.

Anyway, I sure am impressed with how fast it got here.

WOW, that was quick! I ordered the Wouxun on June 15th, and it got here today. :)

I think it will take longer to figure out how to set it up and use it, than it took to get it. :o

I thought you would just get the radio, turn it on and start listening, and sending. But I guess not.

Mine is here too. Ordered on the 14th. Quick shipment! Now to learn how to set it up.

Mine is here too. Ordered on the 14th. Quick shipment! Now to learn how to set it up.

That's pretty fast! I ordered the Slim Jim antenna the same day and it was in my mailbox on Saturday. It looks very well made and I'm pleased with the purchase (IOW, it's a lot better than I could have done). I'm anxious to hear how you both like the Wouxuns after you've figured them out. Did either of you get the programming cable to use the free software?

EDIT to add. I just tried to make the Capitol Peak repeater on VHF (from Silverdale) and was easily triggering the repeater, something the stock duck cannot even come close to doing. It was coming in loud and clear, but nobody replied to my call. I'll try again later when I can make sure Ironman is up and listening.

Edited by Criminal

The Wouxon comes setup to transmit on two bands, right? How about receive? Do you only receive just the two bands? For instance, if I want to use a satellite repeater where you transmit on 2M and listen on 70CM, do I need the 70CM band? I'm asking because my old HF rig could receive all bands, but only transmit on ham bands.

I was able to raise Ironman on the Capitol Peak repeater using just the handheld and the new Slim Jim antenna. Let me explain why this is remarkable. First, I live about one-third the way up a small ridge (Ridgetop Blvd in Silverdale) ~300' elevation, over on the west side of the hill. I have no coverage to any repeater to the east because the ridge is in the way. I have good coverage to the west and southwest. As the crow flies, it's fifty miles or more from my house to Capitol Peak at 4700'. I can't hit that repeater with my 50 watt mobile! The Slim Jim is stuck to the ceiling with a push-pin in the middle of the upstairs bedroom. Ironman reports that I was somewhat broken at times, but if I moved around a bit I was able to improve my signal.

I could hear Criminal pretty well. Not sure why he was breaking up. I could hear him in between but it was so faint I could barely hear it.

I used my hand held with a rubber duck antenna. I have line of sight to Capitol peak. I can reach Gold Mountain just out of Bremerton but my signal is too weak to do anything other than trigger the repeater. If I get some time I may try a better antenna and see how my signal is.

What are some of your local repeater frequencies criminal? On july 5th I am going up on a mountain just to mess around and see what I hit.

I know we have the evergreen intertie and can talk across the state anyway but goofing around on a mountain is fun also.

Post #21 has the big list. If that's too unwieldy, here are a few of the better repeaters just off the top of my head. Someone else might mention some others.

Receive (Trans) Name Tone

145.33 (144.73) TIGER MTN W Tone=179.9 Hz

146.82 (146.22) TIGER MTN Tone=103.5 Hz

146.62 (146.02) BREMERTON Tone=103.5 Hz

145.47 (144.87) CAPITOL PEAK Tone=100.0 Hz

147.08 (147.68) COUGAR MT Tone=103.5 Hz

145.37 (144.77) GRASS MTN Tone=136.5 Hz

441.775 (446.775) NORTH BEND Tone=103.5 Hz One of these North Bend repeaters is better.

442.15 (447.15) NORTH BEND None=100.0 Hz I can't remember which

444.50 (449.50) RATTLESNAKE Tone=103.5 Hz

145.11 (144.51) STEVENS PASS Tone=123.0 Hz

443.50 (448.50) VASHON Tone=103.5 Hz

145.27 (144.67) SHELTON Tone=103.5 Hz

444.70 (449.70) SEATTLE Tone=103.5 Hz

See also, BEACH NET and this mapping page.

Mt Walker is also a good high location for testing frequencies since you can drive to the top and you have good coverage from either end of the mountain. I conversed clearly with a Seattle ham on simplex from the top of Mt Walker.

Edited by Criminal

So how do you guys like the Wouxon? I'd like to get your impressions of the radio if either of you have had time to play with them.

What are some of your local repeater frequencies criminal? On july 5th I am going up on a mountain just to mess around and see what I hit.

I know we have the evergreen intertie and can talk across the state anyway but goofing around on a mountain is fun also.

Post #21 has the big list. If that's too unwieldy, here are a few of the better repeaters just off the top of my head. Someone else might mention some others.

Receive (Trans) Name Tone

145.33 (144.73) TIGER MTN W Tone=179.9 Hz

146.82 (146.22) TIGER MTN Tone=103.5 Hz

146.62 (146.02) BREMERTON Tone=103.5 Hz

145.47 (144.87) CAPITOL PEAK Tone=100.0 Hz

147.08 (147.68) COUGAR MT Tone=103.5 Hz

145.37 (144.77) GRASS MTN Tone=136.5 Hz

441.775 (446.775) NORTH BEND Tone=103.5 Hz One of these North Bend repeaters is better.

442.15 (447.15) NORTH BEND None=100.0 Hz I can't remember which

444.50 (449.50) RATTLESNAKE Tone=103.5 Hz

145.11 (144.51) STEVENS PASS Tone=123.0 Hz

443.50 (448.50) VASHON Tone=103.5 Hz

145.27 (144.67) SHELTON Tone=103.5 Hz

444.70 (449.70) SEATTLE Tone=103.5 Hz

See also, BEACH NET and this mapping page.

Mt Walker is also a good high location for testing frequencies since you can drive to the top and you have good coverage from either end of the mountain. I conversed clearly with a Seattle ham on simplex from the top of Mt Walker.

Wasn't the Rattlesnake repeater set aside for SAR only? Seems you and I got kicked off of it once.

So how do you guys like the Wouxon? I'd like to get your impressions of the radio if either of you have had time to play with them.

I guess I thought ham would be a little like CB, or FMS radio. Turn it on and pick a channel, then listen or talk.

I haven't been able to figure this thing out, and am going to have to get in touch with a group that can help me get started with it.

I was told some search and rescue groups have people who will give classes on using the radio. Anyone know anything about that?

I will post on the thing as soon as I figure out how to use it. :):huh:

I guess I thought ham would be a little like CB, or FMS radio. Turn it on and pick a channel, then listen or talk.

I haven't been able to figure this thing out, and am going to have to get in touch with a group that can help me get started with it.

I was told some search and rescue groups have people who will give classes on using the radio. Anyone know anything about that?

I will post on the thing as soon as I figure out how to use it. :):huh:

Have you been able to trigger a repeater at least? If you can’t even get a handshake from the repeater it’s probably because either the offset you're using is wrong, or the PL tone is wrong. Trust me, there’s no shortage of people that want to talk out there. Several clubs also have ‘nets’ where anyone listening can chime in with their call sign. Just listen in on any of the more popular repeaters; they often hold them in the mornings or in the evenings.

Getting some assistance from a local club is your best bet.

Hi All,

I am indeed AB7YL. I don't have a lot of time for radio, but enjoy taking my VX-7R on hikes, a little DXing when I have the time, and a little contesting (notably, going on camping trips off the grid to ridiculously remote locations with my teammates on N7PP to do the Salmon Run contest in September--this year not so remote)

In addition to self-study, there are other ways to study for the license exams. The Radio Club of Tacoma holds regular classes for the Technician license (held on a weekend at the clubhouse in Tacoma) as well as monthly testing sessions and periodic classes for the General license. Check out their web site at: Radio Club of Tacoma

Trust me when I say that if I can pass the tests, anyone can if they study. I find all the electronics stuff boring, but the more I know about it the better I am as a radio operator.

Linda

If anyone is interested...

If you go to http://kc4x4sar.org/ and shoot them mail they can tell you when the next radio meet up is. They just did a come and get your radios tuned event at Marymoor in redmond. If there was enough interest from this community they may do another one. It would be a good way for folks to get introduced to 4x4 SAR.

If you just want to get in touch with our comms person let me know thorugh email and I will give you their info.

Dick, W7WT, asked me to post this up. If you live in the Seattle area it looks like a great way to get your General ticket.

Course Information

1. The course meets on Monday nights starting October 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM and continues through November 21, 2011.

2. Class hours are generally from 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM.

3. The course is at the Seattle Red Cross, 1900 25th Ave., South, Seattle, WA 98144, room 130 (lower level).

4. The course is built to give you confidence in passing the licensing test and knowledge and competency in functioning as a General Class radio operator.

5. Prior to the first class you will need to obtain the textbook. Textbooks are available from places

like www.arrl.org or www.amazon.com. We will not have any available for purchase at the class.

The textbook for this course is: The ARRL General Class License Manual 7th Edition

6. The class is free; however, should you want to take the licensing exam during the last class session you will need $15 for the licensing test.

7. Attendance is not required for every session of the class; however, if you wish to take the license

examination with the class you must attend the last session.

8. You are not obligated to test with your class, should you not be able to make the test you may take it at another time or place. Check the arrl.org website for locations.

9. What about commercially available flash cards, test software, and other textbooks? You may use whatever materials you wish and you are not obligated to use the ARRL licensing manual.

10. To register contact Kevin Kopp at 206 720-5296.

Fax: (206) 720-5395

www.seattleredcross.org

I was signed up for this General ticket course but it interfered with my trip to Hawaii so Hawaii won ;) Need to start self studying to so I can get my General by the end of the year...

KF7QCI

Enjoy your trip to Hawaii. We went to Kauai on our 60th wedding anniversary and had a great time geocaching. South Pacific was filmed there and there was a nice cache at every site. 73 Dick

For those of you that have the general or higher class license and those that are going after the general class- Great news. This weekend was the CQ Worldwide Contest. All the bands were wide open. I haven't done much hamming since I got into geocaching and the bands have been dead. I tuned into 10 meters and worked a little of the contest, just to check out the old Ft-1000D and the Pro-67B beam. Worked every one I called including Japan with my beam pointed east. I like 10 meters as you can work a lot of stations with low power and a simple antenna. Also a great ground wave band for rag-chewing in the evening. However, we will be geocaching when and IF the weather is good. 73 Dick, W7WT

Hams Help Save the Life of Fellow Ham

It was 10:00 PM as I reached for the power button of my ham radio and call it a night. Just before my finger touched the switch I heard a faint call -- someone was lost and needed help. Naturally, I would stick around to hear more. After all, this is one of those rare moments many hams live for.

Ron, KB6UF was not only lost in the Sierra Nevada mountains but also stuck. While driving alone from Louisiana to California to visit his grandkids for the Thanksgiving holiday the 68 year old missed the exit where he was scheduled to stay at a hotel. So he turned to his GPS. It instructed Ron to turn here and go there. The road turned into a gravel road and Ron knew something was wrong. "I felt like I was going in circles," he later said. He was 8 miles from the main road.

Pitched black and no street lights for miles, Ron hit a ditch. The front wheels of his small truck were in the air and it was clear he was going nowhere fast. He checked his cell phone. No cells. He has a 2 meter radio in his truck. No answers on any local repeaters. He turned to 40 meters, remembering there are usually a bunch of hams on 7.195 MHz.

Within minutes, multiple hams were offering advice; use the low gear, fill in the hole with brush and sand, rock the truck back and forth. Somebody asked if Ron's GPS was working. It was. Ron gave out his coordinates over the air. Now as many as 100 hams monitoring the frequency knew Ron's exact location: in the hills near Mono Lake, California, near the Nevada-California border.

Dave, N5SDO in New Mexico stepped up and became net control. Everyone including Ron can hear Dave. Dave assessed Ron's predicament by asking pertinent questions: Are you alone? How much fuel do you have? Do you have food or water? Is there somebody we can call for you? Ron gave Dave an 800 number to the Sheriff's office. Dave tried the 800 number but it was a non-functioning number.

I thought about that non-working 800 number for a second. Maybe the Sheriff's office discontinued the 800 service due to budget cuts, so I Googled the 800 number and found the local dispatch number to Mono Lake Sheriff's office in California. I called it. I had to explain I'm a ham radio operator in Chicago and I'm monitoring a man stranded and lost in hills near Mono Lake. The dispatcher said she would bring this info to her sergeant. Ten minutes later the sergeant returned my call. I quickly explained what had been happening over the past 90 minutes. "Does he need a tow or is this a search and rescue?," asked the sheriff. I relayed the question to Dave who then asked Ron. Ron said he was requesting an officer. As soon as the sheriff heard "requesting an officer" he said someone will be there in 30 minutes.

When Ron announced on the radio he could see the lights of the sheriff's car approaching, many hams monitoring the frequency cheered on air. Working together Ron doubled the nylon rope the sheriff had in an attempt to pull Ron's small truck out of the ditch. The rope snapped. Luckily, there was a piece long enough to triple fold the line and that proved strong enough to pull Ron's vehicle free. Again, hams cheered on the air as Ron was following the Sheriff back to town.

The sheriff said, "It's a good thing you had that radio otherwise we would have found you in the Spring. Nobody comes up here this time of year."

HF was the only way Ron was able to get help. Thank goodness he had a good HF mobile or he might have been out there for days (or longer). Several comments were heard stating "that does it, I was thinking about putting an HF rig in the mobile but now I'm convinced and going to do it" after listening in that night.

Thanks to all the hams that helped a fellow ham in need, especially Dave N5SDO in New Mexico, Nick W9ZXT in Illinois, Jerry N0VXE in Colorado, Dan KD0LYK in Kansas and Dave W7DBS in Nevada and of course the Mono Lake Sheriff's Office. -- Henry Schleichkorn, K9KDE, Chicago, Illinois henry@k9kde.com

I thought I would renew this thread to mention that there is a program called Summits on the Air (SOTA) which I have been doing since last June. It has been a lot of fun combining hiking and ham radio. (And yes, there are usually geocaches along the way). Points can be earned for both the operators on the summits (Activators) and those who make contact with them (Chasers).

For more info, see the following:

http://www.sotawatch.org

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nasota

http://www.sota.org.uk/

http://www.pnwsota.org/

In addition to the fun of it, I find I am learning a lot about portable operation, power sources, antennas, etc....

Linda

AB7YL

You can add me to the list. I am EFHutton (geocaching) and my call is N7SMT. I have several handhelds, including two Baofeng portables (2 meter and 440 MHz) and two Wouxon portables (2 meter and 220 MHz). I have used them all to coordinate geocaching excursions with other ham friends who cache. The Baofeng radios are small, powerful and very inexpensive....almost disposable! At around $40.00 each, they work well for the price. A bit difficult to program with repeater frequencies, but once you get the hang of it, it is ok. The Wouxon radios are a bit more rugged and a bit easier to program too. I dropped one of them in Puget Sound after a fishing excursion and it took on some water and stopped working. I dried it out thoroughly and turned it on and it has worked fine ever since. You can't do that with most cell phones! As far as using them hiking, camping or, of course, geocaching....they are more than a life saver. Both radios have a built in FM broadcast receiver that picks up local radio stations fairly well. If there is no one to talk to, you can still listen to music. The batteries last a decent amount of time and are easily re-chargable. The drop chargers that come with the radios work on both 120VAC and 12VDC, not to mention that they both have AA and AAA battery packs that you can buy separately if you want to go that route. The Baofeng radios can be programmed with all of the FRS/GMRS frequencies and with the higher wattage, they work very well on road trips between cars or in thick woods hunting for that elusive 4 difficulty cache. If you have non-ham friends along on the trip, you can talk to their FRS radios without too much trouble.

I have been known to use my handheld radios to talk to friends in Eastern Washington while they were camping.....and I was in Seattle! Where they were, there was no phone service, but a ham radio was able to get there no problem. Granted, I was using a simplex repeater system that forwarded my signal over the mountains, but it worked great anyway! I have also noticed that most ham radio operators that you will run into are just as friendly as most of the geocachers that you have run into. They are more than happy to help you out with your set up, as a geocacher would be to help you find that tough cache. They pretty much go hand-in-hand! Another interesting tidbit about ham radio is that most NASA astronauts are also ham radio operators. Kinda makes me proud to be a part of such an elite group.

I just HAD to put my two cents in. Thanks for creating this thread!

-Dave (N7SMT and EFHutton)

Hello everyone,

I am not a big fan of blogs! I do however like the topic here and love the idea that someone is pushing Ham Radio to the geocaching community. I have been a ham radio operator for over 20 years. My call sign is KB7TWX… I run a Kenwood TH-F6 handheld while hiking. It has three bands 2 meters, 440 MHz and 220 MHz, plus you can open it to operate on the FRS frequencies. This radio also has the ability of all-weather frequencies, FM radio music and more. It is a Tri-Band radio with dual band display. This means you can listen to two frequencies at one time and toggle to which ever frequency you want to chat on.

I have used ham radio for emergency up on the mountain loop high way, it is a bad area for ham radio even but we were able to get help. Once you leave Granite Falls you loss cell phone coverage and so ham radio came to the rescue from the Ice Caves parking lot. I like using 220 MHz when hiking, it’s a quite band, and we also use it while traveling the high ways between vehicles. Keep in mind that 2 Meter has better coverage generally and if you are a new comer to ham radio, you most likely want something on the 2 meter end. Dual band is very nice and today isn’t all that expensive…

Thanks for having this great topic.

Hike a Photo