WHERE to buy my new GPSr?

I think I have finally decided which unit to purchase (oregon 450), but now I need to find a great price.

When I google I see many places, and some seem to sell cheaper, but I don't know the retailers well enough to know if I would get ripped off or not. Which online retailers are for real?

Are there any brick n mortar stores that typically have good sales and if I watch their flyers I can catch one?

Do you know of any places that have great prices but horrible return policy?

For me, spending $300-$400 is a HUGE investment-so I need to know if there are issues that I can have some sort of faith that the store I purchased from is going to respond or atleast allow me to return the item, kwim?

I doubt a store-bashing thread would be allowed, but can we start one where we have had good purchasing experiences?

thanks!

REI is not the least expensive, but they have the best return policy. A couple of week ago I returned my Colorado because it was falling apart and they refunded it no questions asked and I got an OR 550T. If you are a member, you will also get 10-15% of the price back at the end of the year.

REI is not the least expensive, but they have the best return policy. A couple of week ago I returned my Colorado because it was falling apart and they refunded it no questions asked and I got an OR 550T. If you are a member, you will also get 10-15% of the price back at the end of the year.

Check prices at Amazon. If REI is close, buy from REI. Note that whenever Garmin is about to release a new model REI has a good sale of the about to be orphaned model. Last Thanksgiving OR300's were on sale for $250 USD. They are no longer being produced, but the price was right then.

You probably don't need another one of these, but really REI is the best place to buy pretty much anything outdoors. There are two in the Charlotte, NC area, so I would definitely suggest you get a membership ($20 for a lifetime membership). This would get you 10% dividends at the end of the year for all of your purchases, as well as free online shipping for orders over $75. Their return policy is the best in the business as far as I'm concerned, beat up, not working, chewed by a dog, no questions asked return. The Oregon 450 is going on Amazon for $355, while REI it's going for $360. If you became a member at REI, the shipping would be free just like amazon, but for an extra $5, you would have better peace of mind, as well as getting $36 back at the end of the year. The only problem with REI is the well documented fact that you will always spend 100 bucks more than you expected to. It's addictive, management knows what they are doing!

I can't vouch for them myself, but my Mom likes Costco's return policy as well. She has bought and returned a couple of digital cameras there after trying them for a month or two and not liking the image quality or feature set. (she has kept the 3rd one for quite a while now so I think she likes it!)

I also recommend Cabela's or Amazon.com. I have been very satisfied with everything ordered from them. BEWARE Bass Pro Shops! I ordered the new Delorme PN-60W from their catalog, and received the regular 60. After several days of phone calls to them, what I pretty much get is that if I send them another $100, they will ship me a PN-60W. Otherwise, they will wait till they receive the PN-60 back before they will see about giving me a refund. They say it is not their fault that the catalog advertises the 60W, and I was verbally promised the 60W, because they have a disclaimer statement that was supposed to have been read to me by one of their staff (not till the 4th call did I ever hear it). Nice, they pull a classic bait & switch, but are not responsible for thgeir own actions.

Thanks everyone, I just got home from REI with my new 450.....now to figure out how to use it...It came with a quick start guide but no actual manual. ugh.

You will love the Oregon 450. It is really a great GPSr. Also, REI is a great retailer. Their return policy is second to none, and thier customer service is super.

OldA'sFan