100s of finds a day?

danboss

Hi,

From time to time I come accross Cachers who find two or three digit numbers of caches in a single day. Very impressive!!!

Is this just very good organization or rather a matter of high cache density, especially in the U.S.?

It is hard to imagine for me that this would be possible, let's say in Europe, given the available caches.

Best regards

It can and has been done with random caches in a cache-rich area.

Over the years I've been on four cache runs with friends where we found over 100 in a day... we just met at a cache-rich area like Nashville TN and had at it till we either hit 100 or wore ourselves out.

I had a team work together for three months to plan a route around Dallas TX a few years ago where we (four Americans, four Germans in a rented van) found 293 caches in 24 hours.

That number has been far surpassed now.

What you're seeing more of today is 'power trails' which were once discouraged now being set up for this purpose, where you have long strings of easy finds set up along a drive. On a few of those trails you can rack up 100 finds before lunch!

Regardless of how you do it is a fun break from one's normal caching habit! :(

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hi,

From time to time I come accross Cachers who find two or three digit numbers of caches in a single day. Very impressive!!!

Is this just very good organization or rather a matter of high cache density, especially in the U.S.?

It is hard to imagine for me that this would be possible, let's say in Europe, given the available caches.

Best regards

Typically, it's a combination of high-density, good organization, and a finely tuned geosense that allows people to rack up high numbers in a day.

My record for a single day was 46, and it wasn't on a power trail. It actually was in a small town here outside of Reno that had quite a few caches in it. This was only from about 9am until 3pm, and our day included everything from Nano's to ammo cans with some offroading to get to them. There was 5 of us and everyone signed the logs, and we even sat down and enjoyed lunch together! So with a little planning and caching in the right area, triple digit numbers should be fairly easy and quite enjoyable I think.

All you need is a really strong gag-reflex...

It recently became possible to do this in Canada too, so i am told..

You mean this? or have the roadside micro power trails come to The Great White North? Because if they haven't, they will. Trust me. :(

They have ventured into Canada, but not quite to the extent as with the US: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...p;lng=-80.24348

Still in the N42's though, so that should give us some time to build the barricades..

Hi,

Best regards

best for me was a little over 120+ in a day started very early and stopped arond 4 pm

Scubasonic

Just remember, for each find there is a log entry to be typed.

I carry a notepad for observations and hand craft each log entry with loving care and attention to detail. This can be quite time-consuming for 20, or more finds, particularly if there are Earthcaches or Virtuals involved. Even more work if I have some photos I feel compelled to upload.

I've done 32 in a day a couple times and regretted my ambition when sitting down to log the finds.

Edited by DragonsWest

I did 32 in a day earlier this month driving around Mt St Helens and skipping about half of the micros. If I had cut out some of the trail/hike caches and remembered to print out the info for earth caches, I might have been able to hit 40.

My more memorable day of the month was forcing myself to combat mosquitoes and bushwhacking to grab a few more finds for a 15 cache afternoon.

And most memorable day of the month was hiking up the snow on Mt St Helens for a cache and an earthcache at around 6800ft. 3 cache day, but it was for the views and experience, not the numbers.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

Hi,

Best regards

Some of us are simply crazy and Power Trails are rather like a gauntlet which has been thrown down.

Hi,

Best regards

Some of us are simply crazy and Power Trails are rather like a gauntlet which has been thrown down.

I did part of a power trail and didn't like it nearly as much as the creative hides you find or the ones in beautiful places, although this one happened to be in a beautiful, dog-friendly place. I have no desire to finish it. I will say, that it's fun to get a bunch in a day, and I think my record is 18? That was part power trail, part a series. Some were super creative, some quick grabs. I've gone for p&g's in San Diego and realized they're not my style. In Monterey, where I live, we have some cachers who are super creative at making 3 to 4 star hides. I love those, even if I only find one a day. Of course ammo boxes are great too. So, yes numbers are nice but quality is better. Most of the time, my criteria is, can I take the dog? Boy, I probably could have said that better. Any caching is fun, how's that!

I'm new to this whole thing, but I am positive that this sort of thing would lead to burn-out.

People at work thought I was weird for picking up a couple on vaction just to pad my #states stat. Also it was fun to see other areas and made for a nice break on a road trip.

can't say that I understand the need to pump up huge numbers like that though

To each his own but it doesn't sound like fun to me.

I as well like a creative hide, a hide which takes one to an amazing sight, a site of historical importance, a site of geological significance.

Yet there is the lure of a power trail:

WHAT IS THAT LURE?

Can the old guy still plan.

Can the old guy still get it in gear.

Can the old guy still execute.

Can the old guy still play hard.

CAN THE OLD GUY GIT'ER DONE

Noooooooo, the old guy can no longer run with the big dogs, I might not be able to play in the side yard but I woke up this morning and that is good.

Just my perspective after two near death experiences ... wake up in the morning be glad for an extra day and squeeze every bit of good out of that extra day.

GEO HUGGGGZZZZZZZZZZZZ TO ALL.

All you need is a really strong gag-reflex...

It recently became possible to do this in Canada too, so i am told..

You mean this? or have the roadside micro power trails come to The Great White North? Because if they haven't, they will. Trust me. :yikes:

They have ventured into Canada, but not quite to the extent as with the US: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...p;lng=-80.24348

Still in the N42's though, so that should give us some time to build the barricades..

Oh, Simcoe? Still not a road side micro power trail, it's a gravel rails to trails and I've been on it. When the caches were like 2 miles apart, of course. True though, a good number of them are micros. If I'm not mistaken, roadside micro power trails have been spotted across the Country in BC though. Just not 1,000 cache ones. Yet, that is. :D

There are 1440 minutes in 24 hours. Therefore to do 200 caches is a cache every 7.2 minutes.

So every 7.2 minutes you have to:

• travel from the last cache to this cache
  • find the cache and open it
  • sign the log
  • record somewhere for your notes that you found the cache
  • replace the cache exactly as you found it
  • do a "go to" for the next cache with your GPSr
  • jump back in the car! (or on your rocket powered bike!)

For 600 caches you'd have to do all that every 2.4 minutes!

These people are superheroes!

Yet there is the lure of a power trail:

It was only after doing some repetitive caching in Nevada that I stopped calling them "power trails" since to me a power trail leads to an isolated cache on top of some mountain ridge, or a virtual at a Grand Canyon overlook 60 miles from anywhere. So these days I use the term "repetitive trails."

But regardless of where you go for a particular numbers run, it probably helps to do it where traffic will not be an issue, where there is a good density, and the caches are fairly quick grabs. Before our trip to Nevada, one of my biggest days in terms of numbers was a bike path where you can do 100 without too much difficulty. But friends got 260 or so without a trail one day, so you do not need them lined up every 528 feet if you are willing to settle for that.

Edited by mulvaney

...with a fun group of guys and all had a great time.

...and the caching was probably secondary to the actual outing...

Really, these 'mega-runs' (sounds like a digestive problem, no?) are actually about you and your buds becoming a well-oiled geocaching machine, and therein lies the fun and the reward.

That is a very good summary of it. Never done triple digits, but have done in the 50's once and 80's another time and it really was the camaraderie that made it so much fun.

I've been averaging 60-70 per day I go out caching up until last week when I hit 158 in a single day over 16 hours. And that was including our group doing 11 off road caches that I'm the CO on.

I have done powertrails by myself and boy do they get boring! But with a group of 3 or 4 caching friends it's an absolute blast.

Edited by jrou111

Really, these 'mega-runs' (sounds like a digestive problem, no?) are actually about you and your buds becoming a well-oiled geocaching machine, and therein lies the fun and the reward.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. If it's all about the camaraderie, then wouldn't going out with a group of geocachers for a long day, even 24 hours of geocaching, to find 20-30 caches that are further apart, provide the same opportunity for camaraderie then hundreds of caches a bit more than 528' apart? If anything, fewer caches would provide more time for social interaction. Admit it, it's about the numbers.

There are 1440 minutes in 24 hours. Therefore to do 200 caches is a cache every 7.2 minutes.

• sign the log

You don't need to be a superhero. You just need an incredible tolerance for monotony.

I've done 130 caches in a single day where it wasn't a powertrail, just good planning.

I've also done 135 caches in a day which included the Tribute series in Maine. At the peak of that raid, I averaged a find every 3 minutes.

I also have a series of 100 caches hidden which can be done in a day but they are not on a powertrail.

All depends on where you are and what kind of plan (if needed) you have.

• sign the log

You don't need to be a superhero. You just need an incredible tolerance for monotony.

What fun! :yikes:

• sign the log

we did a little trail out our way last week... actually, we did all of the trail we had the stamina for...

"we" being me and my 11 year old son. at the 60 cache mark in 2.5 hours... it was all we could stand. monotony is the key descriptor. obviously what makes it tolerable is having a group (and taking turns).

Questions you should ask yourself before posting negative opinions:

What is the point of posting comments such as 'I don't like it', 'I wouldn't do it', 'I deny your stated motive', 'Admit it, you only do it for the numbers' (as if that were a bad thing!) and 'This couldn't possibly fun'?

Is it that important to you that folks cache your way?

You don't feel validated unless you can sway other people to your way of thinking?

Does our knowing that you don't like it somehow add to the conversation?

Did anyone ASK if you like it?

Do you feel compelled to belittle, criticize and ridicule anything that does not meet your personal standard of fun?

I don't get it. Really. If you don't like it don't do it, but to feel compelled to pepper discussion threads like this with negative posts stating your dislike for the topic (repeatedly, every time it comes up), man, I think that's pretty unhealthy.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. If it's all about the camaraderie, then wouldn't going out with a group of geocachers for a long day, even 24 hours of geocaching, to find 20-30 caches that are further apart, provide the same opportunity for camaraderie then hundreds of caches a bit more than 528' apart? If anything, fewer caches would provide more time for social interaction. Admit it, it's about the numbers.

Can't it be about D-all of the above? Four of us traveled to Seattle for GW8 together. We always start before 8AM and return to the hotel well after midnight (heck we didn't even check in until 1:30 am on arrival day). We had some longish hikes, long drives, walks in the park, easy PnGs, hard well cammo'd caches, and attended a few events along the way. We didn't break 100 on any of the days this trip, but have done it plenty of times and enjoy doing it all.

That said-if you are heading to CO, or NV to find caches on these newer power trails, numbers are certainly a priority. That too can be FUN.

Hi,

Best regards

Right on dude!! ;-)

• sign the log

On my GPSr, your steps 4 and 6 (record somewhere for your notes, do a "go to" for the next cache") are achieved with two clicks.

• sign the log

Power Trail envy.

• sign the log

On my GPSr, your steps 4 and 6 (record somewhere for your notes, do a "go to" for the next cache") are achieved with two clicks.

Not to mention that with two GPSrs you set each one to leap frog the other.

I think that you missed two things. First, you are ignoring the fact that it is perfectly normal for others to enjoy things that you don't. Second, you ignored the 'well-oiled machine' part of the PP. For some, tuning their procedure to be able to find more and more caches in an outing is a huge part of the fun that they simply wouldn't get if they only looked for 20 or 30 caches.

• sign the log

Why is it that you have to insult anyone who enjoys anything that you don't? Everything doesn't have to be about BS.

I agree that you don't have to be a superhero to amass numbers along a repetitive trail. It took me 18-30 seconds (depending on the state of the log) to get out of the car and back. My noncaching wife who put up with me for part of a day was the superhero. It does not even take a well oiled machine to do that but the more repetitions you do the more camaraderie becomes important. That is also true for a long hike to an isolated cache. So ultimately it depends on how you want to spend your time. I'm glad I visited the trail in Nevada. I could be persuaded to do more of it with a group of friends, but I am also glad that we did other caches that day for the "wow factor."

I think that once Groundspeak opened the door to a mass of containers on a well defined road, they should have developed a separate category for that type of experience. A lot of the discussion comes down to the experience you seeking. There is certainly room in this game for more than one experience.

Edited by mulvaney

I agree that you don't have to be a superhero to amass numbers along a repetitive trail. It took me 18-30 seconds (depending on the state of the log) to get out of the car and back. My noncaching wife who put up with me for part of a day was the superhero. It does not even take a well oiled machine to do that but the more repetitions you do the more camaraderie becomes important. That is also true for a long hike to an isolated cache. So ultimately it depends on how you want to spend your time. I'm glad I visited the trail in Nevada. I could be persuaded to do more of it with a group of friends, but I am also glad that we did other caches that day for the "wow factor."

I think that once Groundspeak opened the door to a mass of containers on a well defined road, they should have developed a separate category for that type of experience. A lot of the discussion comes down to the experience you seeking. There is certainly room in this game for more than one experience.

I disagree that a separate category is needed for these. After all, the mere fact that there are other caches nearby doesn't force anyone to find more than one.

I think that you missed two things. First, you are ignoring the fact that it is perfectly normal for others to enjoy things that you don't. Second, you ignored the 'well-oiled machine' part of the PP. For some, tuning their procedure to be able to find more and more caches in an outing is a huge part of the fun that they simply wouldn't get if they only looked for 20 or 30 caches.

Regarding the first; I've never commented or suggested in any way that those that do power trails don't enjoy the experience. Most of the postings here from those that have done any of the power trails have indicated that they did enjoy it, and I believe them. I'm not going to get into why I think that power trails are a bad idea and detrimental to the game as a whole, but none of the many arguments I've presented against them were "I don't like them". All I am asking is that those that are supporting powertrails because it's so much fun, that they're honest about why they're actually do them.

Regarding the second; Perhaps I didn't address the well-oiled machine premise was because I'd never seen that argument presented before. I fail to see how a group of friends becoming a "well oiled machine" for finding geocaches is exclusive to power trails?

I did do 35 in 12ish hours one day, out with my geo-Jeepin' buddies and it was no more or no less fun than the 80ish cache roaming around the greater Nashville area. Both experiences were different but equally fun. In Nashville (after GW2) we were all in one vehicle and had the shared experience of the drive along with hunting caches. In the woods, most interaction was over the CB while navigating from place to place with some trail time while hiking for a some caches that were more that 50' off the Jeep trails. In both cases I stand by my statement that the camaraderie is what made both outings a blast. If being crammed in a van with 6 friends for 12+ hours is not your idea of a good time then don't do it. If it is you idea of a good time but you're not having fun, then you need to find some different friends [:)]

Edited by clan_Barron

Questions you should ask yourself before posting negative opinions:

What is the point of posting comments such as 'I don't like it', 'I wouldn't do it', 'I deny your stated motive', 'Admit it, you only do it for the numbers' (as if that were a bad thing!) and 'This couldn't possibly fun'?

Is it that important to you that folks cache your way?

You don't feel validated unless you can sway other people to your way of thinking?

Does our knowing that you don't like it somehow add to the conversation?

Did anyone ASK if you like it?

Do you feel compelled to belittle, criticize and ridicule anything that does not meet your personal standard of fun?

I don't get it. Really. If you don't like it don't do it, but to feel compelled to pepper discussion threads like this with negative posts stating your dislike for the topic (repeatedly, every time it comes up), man, I think that's pretty unhealthy.

Never even knew that these kinds of "power trails" existed, and was poking around the forums while gc.com is down for maintenance this afternoon. Hmm, after reading this post I think they could be fun with the right group of people, but not so much with the wrong ones. Great way to rack up numbers if I ever want to try that! I appreciated reading both the positive and negative responses. Thanks everyone and please keep posting you ideas and experiences! Helpful to us new guys!

The point was that the number of caches found would be secondary to the enjoyment of time spent with your friends.

This SHOULD be the case, whether it's one cache found at the top of Angel Falls, or a silly powertrail of 627 somewhere in the Nevada desert.

The point was that the number of caches found would be secondary to the enjoyment of time spent with your friends.

This SHOULD be the case, whether it's one cache found at the top of Angel Falls, or a silly powertrail of 627 somewhere in the Nevada desert.

And another thought:

Powertrails?

It seems as if there really is a serious LACK of power involved...

It was only after doing some repetitive caching in Nevada that I stopped calling them "power trails" since to me a power trail leads to an isolated cache on top of some mountain ridge, or a virtual at a Grand Canyon overlook 60 miles from anywhere. So these days I use the term "repetitive trails."
Given that these trails tend to attract "numbers runs", perhaps we should call them "numbers trails" or "numbers run trails"...