Oregon 550t owners

I have a 550t that I bought maybe a year ago, and I still love it. I don't use the camera as much as I thought I might, but it's fairly decent for what it is. If I had to do it again, I might go for the 450t, and skip the camera. I do like having the topo maps on there without having to install them separately - they're the sort of thing I might not think about ever installing, but as they're already there, I appreciate having them on the few occasions that I want to look at them.

I have the Oregon 400t that we use for Geocaching. I would like to get another paperless GPSr so both my wife and I have one to use. I am used to the Oregons and made my decision to stay with this model.

My question is. . . Is the 550 worth the extra $$$. The reviews have been very good. But are you happy or not with your purchase and why?

I have a 450 and love it. However, there are those times that I would really like to have the camera. Although, I wouldn't pay the additional $100 or so for it. You will love the brighter screen and the 3 axis compass on the x50 series. Which ever one you get consider buying the non t series. Free maps are readily available and they are very good.

OldA'sFan

Yes. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I had a CO 400T and loved it. However, ithe seal went bad and the ruber was breaking. So REI gave me my money back and I got an OR 550T. There were some things I like better on the CO, but overall I like the 550T much better. I also really like the camera. I like to make maps. So it is real nice to be able to take a picture of what I want to add to the map instead of writing a descpt in the waypoint name. I also really like the 3D compass.

I feel the money was well spent. The camera is always ready and we use it more frequently. Whenever we pass a trail map it only takes a second to snap a pic in case we need it later, also the camera is waterproof- I've taken pictures of the trail when I wouldn't dare pull the other camera out of the pack. Your pictures are also tagged with the coordinates of where it was taken, very handy for placing caches and Waymarking. I'm happy I spent the $. Bob.

It depends on what you want to use the camera for. I use the camera on my 550t to take a lot of pictures when I'm geocaching: travel bug tags, multi-cache waypoints, trail maps, hints/clues, interesting containers and it is great for information recording. Occasionally I take landscapes and other photographs but if you care at all about quality it isn't that good.