Rumors!

Fledermaus

NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH --- NEWSFLASH

Information has reached me from a very well known, reliable and experienced geocaching source.

Someone out there in the Puget Sound Region has an agenda of spreading rumors regarding my caches. He or she is saying that I move my caches around, after I have initially hidden them or re-hid them after they have been found. Nothing could be farther from the truth!

Benjamin Franklin once said: “Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.”

The only time any of my caches are ever moved is when and if they are either damaged and/or destroyed by "Mother Nature" or "stolen" by muggles! In such cases, the coordinates are usually adjusted accordingly, provided the distance moved is greater than 20 feet. Your GPSr usually isn't much more accurate than that anyway.

Your accuracy of finding any cache is, for the most part, dependent on your GPS. If you can't find a particular cache, is it really necessary to blame the cache or the cache owner and not the GPSr's accuracy or your ability to use it?

For example and just recently, one of my caches was hidden in a root-ball and a nearby tree fell upon it. So, I replaced it and moved it a total of five to ten feet West of it's original location. In an earlier case and for a different cache hidden in a stump, another tree fell and crushed the stump, in which was hidden my cache, thus burying it and making it unrecoverable.

Here are some words of wisdom from the poet William Shenstone (18 November 1714 – 11 February 1763):

A liar begins with making falsehood appear like truth,

And ends with making truth itself appear like falsehood.

Have you tried Letterboxing lately?

No GPSr Required or Batteries Included!

/\/(°w°)\/\

Edited by Fledermaus

Hmm, now Fledermaus, at the risk of facing your ire, think about what moving a cache means. Doesn't necessarily mean moving a long distance away from where the coordinates are. But perhaps moving them after a number of people found it, just a short distance from the original placement. Coordinates would still get you in the general area, but if someone else has found it already, then it makes it more complicated for them to pass the info on. Does this sound familiar?

If you move it, even five feet without adjusting the coordinates, then you've moved it.

Please change the coordinates any time the cache is not in it's exact position as originally placed.

Nowadays some of us have very accurate GPSr's and expect the coordinates to reflect where the cache is, since that's how the game is played.

For those of us who do not have accurate GPSr's, then you move it 20 feet without changing the coordinates, and then the GPSr is 20 feet off, and then they can't find it because their GPS is telling them it's 40 feet from where it's been moved to.

Do you see what I'm saying here?

You are only confirming the rumors by what you are saying here.

If a cache is moved at all the coordinates need to be changed.

If you move it, even five feet without adjusting the coordinates, then you've moved it.

Please change the coordinates any time the cache is not in it's exact position as originally placed.

This is very good advice. The consumer grade GPS units on the market today are much more accurate than the GPS receivers of say 10-15 years ago. A 20 foot 'built in' error in coordinates only leads to frustrated cachers who will disturb the surrounding flora & fauna more than necessary, no matter how careful they are.

Every cache hider should make it a priority to ensure that their coordinates are as accurate as possible.

This is very good advice. The consumer grade GPS units on the market today are much more accurate than the GPS receivers of say 10-15 years ago. A 20 foot 'built in' error in coordinates only leads to frustrated cachers who will disturb the surrounding flora & fauna more than necessary, no matter how careful they are.

Every cache hider should make it a priority to ensure that their coordinates are as accurate as possible.

I'm guessing that if I placed a cache, averaged the coords as long as the accuracy kept dropping and then captured those coords and THEN went back out the next day and did the same thing the coords would be different. Especially so if the cache was a few years old.

I agree! My gps is far from accurate. I am lucky if I get within 20 feet! Even if someone seeking a cache has a super gps, you have to remember the coords are only as good as the gps that were used to take the hiding coords with. I try to make sure I take multiple readings to get it as accurate as possible, but when finding, I don't have that option.

Your accuracy of finding any cache is, for the most part, dependent on your GPS. If you can't find a particular cache, is it really necessary to blame the cache or the cache owner and not the GPSr's accuracy or your ability to use it?

Actually, the accuracy of me finding a cache is FIRST and foremost dependent on the GPS of the HIDER. If their GPS is not accurate, or they choose to not give accurate coordinates, there is nothing my GPS can do to help the situation. Even at three years old, our GPS is rarely further than a few feet off. However, if a hider does not give accurate coords, my GPS will take us further from the cache.

So yes, in some cases, it is necessary to blame the cache owner.

What a bunch o' whiners....

9 times out of 10, the coords are going to be close enough...I usually put my GPSr away about 20 feet away from the cache anyway. Comon'....use your "Geo-senses"....hmmm, stick-o-flauge....rock-o-flauge...those branches are oddly aligned....that plant does not look real, etc, etc.

And don't tell me..."I never read the hints"...that is like "the check is in the mail", etc.

Sorry, I just get impatient when folks expect their GPSr to "zero out" while standing over the cache... :yikes:

Edited by Go JayBee

Sorry, I just get impatient when folks expect their GPSr to "zero out" while standing over the cache... :yikes:

Well, actually that did happen, at least once. Unit went to zero, looked down and there was the cache. But in all fairness where I looked was about the only area around where the arrow was pointing for a cache.

crying.gif Look at poor me, in addition to the rumors, I'm also being persecuted by TPTB@GC crying.gif

Why don't you just start converting your caches to: AtlasQuest.com, Letterboxing.org, Terracaching.com, Navicache.com or GPS Games.org, oh wait you are! Don't go away mad, just go away.