Stickers and stamp signatures.

brslk

When I get a paycheck and there's a stamp for a signature, the bank takes it.

If it's good enough for my paycheck, it's good enough for a geocaching logsheet.

Even my college diploma is stamped and got stickers on it too. If my boss believe it, its good enough for geocaching logs.

My passport has tons of stamps in it, as well as a few stickers. They are all legal.

I started this thread on a lark. Not to provoke people but to open a general discussion...

I seriously doubt that you did not intend to provoke people. Either that or you are stunningly unable to communicate effectively. Go back, read your initial posts, and consider how you would react if someone else had written them.

Admit it. You were trolling. You got the reaction you wanted.

and what exactly is wrong with his first post or how is it in any way an intention to provoke people? :(

maybe you should go research a bit what "trolling" is before accusing someone of it

the discussion has been going fine and civilized, unfortunately there's way too many overly sensitive in those forums that choose to misinterpret and twist everything, even when someone genuinely asks for opinions, as the OP did

while i couldn't care less if people use stamps or stickers, personally i think that nothing can replace nor represent better a person's identity than their own hand writing

a person's signature has been, and will always be, the highest level of identification

even where seals are used the signature adds more credibility and authenticates it

so bottom line for me is that i will always use a pen to sign the log

if you choose to use a stamp or sticker sign your initials on it

I have read that retina scans are somewhat better.

When I get a paycheck and there's a stamp for a signature, the bank takes it.

If it's good enough for my paycheck, it's good enough for a geocaching logsheet.

Even my college diploma is stamped and got stickers on it too. If my boss believe it, its good enough for geocaching logs.

My passport has tons of stamps in it, as well as a few stickers. They are all legal.

Wow, I have a passport too!! It has some stamps, but no stickers. I hope that that is good enough.

The stamps in my passport look different than those that I have seen in geocache log books, this is a puzzlement.

Passports are really cool, everbody ought to get one. If you can't afford one, let me know and for a small fee, I'll loan you mine.

Edited by Team Cotati

What is a good source for stamps or stickers?

Never really considered before but since the original poster brought up the idea, it sounds good to me.

I do most my stamps through a company called www.stamp-connection.com they are based in Oregon and stand behind everything they do. I like the self contained re-inker.

I have one with my signature turtle surrounded by my Geo-Name.

I usually have the signature at the end of some statement like

"3rd of the day

dropped a dice and a p@tht@g

beginning to rain

TFTC"

then my stamp

I'm not a handwriting expert, but I can tell if two consecutive signatures were by the same hand or not.

If it's a sticker...who knows how it got there.

A stamp...well I guess if someone wants to have several made and hands them out to be used randomly...

Mostly I despise the stickers that clueless cachers put on micro logs thus taking up 3-4-5 lines and leaving me with no place to sign. If the adhesive dries up and the sticker *suddenly* falls free to provide me a space to sign, then I don't mind them so much. :yikes:

I am quoting an online found log " I would have found the container if it was in the hiding spot." People sometimes don't understand the concept of actually finding a cache. No amount of signature policing can change that.

And what happens when a CO deletes your find?

As far as I know that log still stands today. I have never deleted a log nor have I had a log deleted. It just doesn't seem to be a problem in rural Ontario.

I am quoting an online found log " I would have found the container if it was in the hiding spot." People sometimes don't understand the concept of actually finding a cache. No amount of signature policing can change that.

Was this on a cache that you own?

No I was not the CO I actually dnf the cache because it was missing. It is now archived. If I was the CO I would have emailed the "finder" and asked if perhaps they made a mistake when logging. If I got no response and they needed an unearned smiley that bad I would not delete it.

Mostly I despise the stickers that clueless cachers put on micro logs thus taking up 3-4-5 lines and leaving me with no place to sign.

I have only used stickers to save space when several of us are caching together. We scan our actual signatures, reduce them to be very small, and put them on a sticker so that it takes less space on the log than the actual signatures would. Of course, I would never use them in a nano; for those I usually just use my initials (fm for fizzymagic).

What if everyone pees on the log? Do we have the technology to discern one cacher's urine from another? If not, then I'm afraid it doesn't count as a unique signature.

the guidelines don't mention unique signature. you're just required to sign the log. doesn't say how! peeing on it sure leaves your mark. :)

True enough. I will henceforth allow urine logs to stand on my caches.

Just to avoid confusion, it might help to mention your logging method in your online logs, so people know that the urine is your log and not just vandalism.

Micturation might not work on a power trail ... especially if you let it all fly at the previous cache. Rehydrate and then wait for the magical osmolarity caper in and around the proximal and distal tubules etc. etc.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time and daylight wasted

Micturation might not work on a power trail ... especially if you let it all fly at the previous cache.

Collect before the run, and sign using a syringe.

Awesome idea, heck you wouldn't have to open the lid all the way. LOL

Nor unroll the log. what a great time saver. LOL, LOL

Edited by humboldt flier
Micturation might not work on a power trail ... especially if you let it all fly at the previous cache.

And don't forget to say "I peed in this" in your online log.

I saw some British sci-fi TV show once that had a character who appeared to be part human and part feline. He was walking around the space station with an aerosol can spraying things and saying "That's mine."

So there's your solution... you just have to figure out how to pee in a spray can.

In the legal sense... a sticker is NOT considered a signature.

In the legal sense ... a STAMP is not either unless it has been authorized by a notary.

WRONG...

I routinely deposit checks that have a rubber stamp signature, and they aren't notarized, and the bank has never squirmed about the legality of those checks.

I can file a form with my brokerage firm to accept a "mark" as my signature, and that mark can be anything, including a simple "X", so even signing a full name isn't a legal requirement.

I'm sure if I thought about it for more than 15 seconds I could argue against your "rubber stamp not legal" argument too, but I'd imagine it easily falls into my second point.

This seems like a pointless question. If the log was marked, in any fashion by the finder, then its obviously been found and signed as a find and can't be disputed.

In the legal sense... a sticker is NOT considered a signature.

In the legal sense ... a STAMP is not either unless it has been authorized by a notary.

WRONG...

I'm sure if I thought about it for more than 15 seconds I could argue against your "rubber stamp not legal" argument too, but I'd imagine it easily falls into my second point.

Agreed - as my guild seal is legally recognized (engraved metal into sealing wax) and our corporate embossing stamp is legally certified too, I'd be confident that an appropriate rubber stamp would be acceptable

Anyhoo this is a game and we each enjoy it in our own ways - so stamps, stickers and calling cards for me will continue to show that we have visited the GZ, found and opened the cache before claiming our smiley :)

i only startec geocaching this month and have seen both stamps and stickers, I think its a good idea, especially if you are walking with young children, (either your own or perhaps beavers/cubs) this way each can take a turn "signing" the log and can feel involved where as if you were only writing their involvement will be limited due to oversized handwriting etc...

Apologies if someone already brought this up but if they did I didn't see it.

Groundspeak sells these:

Log Stamp Mouse

and on that same page they provide the URL to:

Nevada Rubber Stamp

who sell:

Geocaching Stamps

Seems to me that would tacit approval from Groundspeak on using stamps to sign logs.

expensive. I have an Ideal 170R stamp. With one line and the correctly sized type I can even use it on the standard nano logs.

I had a tiny stamper made because it it so hard to sign the micro logs. When I chose my name I had no experience or I would have worked on something shorter. The little stamper is easier to keep in the lines than my signature.I agree that this is no legal document. If people cheat, who are they shortchanging? I havent been in the game two weeks but you can bet that I take pride in my finds and will not do anything but try to improve for my own sake. Such a simple activity yet some people will try to muck up anything. Years from now I will probably look back on this and think what a naive newbie I was.

Apologies if someone already brought this up but if they did I didn't see it.

Groundspeak sells these:

Log Stamp Mouse

and on that same page they provide the URL to:

Nevada Rubber Stamp

who sell:

Geocaching Stamps

Seems to me that would tacit approval from Groundspeak on using stamps to sign logs.

expensive. I have an Ideal 170R stamp. With one line and the correctly sized type I can even use it on the standard nano logs.

was with a lady cacher not too long ago and she had a stamp with a date stamp on it. We were impressed and both wanted one. A name is a name on the logbook. My daughter could sign sometimes. Maybe I wrote left handed one time. Maybe I wrote with a bad pen and it was scribbly more. Maybe one of the cachers I was with signed my name....I mean really, who has the time or skill to do a signature analysis on logs, really? This statement is about some past posts, not what Mr Jholly said.