Stickers and stamp signatures.

brslk

My avatar is the stamp I use in logbooks.

As far as using it as a time saving device, I find that by the time I've got it and the ink pad uncovered, I could have written a small essay.

bc39fcc4-f264-4904-a25f-e9225a8c9bb1.jpg

Edit to add picture. While I have no plans to change my avatar, if I need to go into hiding like some others who frequent these forums, it might confuse future readers. . .

Edit again: Oh, man! After adding the pic, I'm reminded that the forums now squish avatars. I'm gonna have to fix mine, someday. . .

Edit again: Why not? :unsure:

Edited by Too Tall John

As a CO who has seen stickers on logs, here's my tuppence.

If I have a log book, fine, stamp or stick to your heart's delight. I'd prefer you wrote a sentence or paragraph for the next cacher to read, but that's to each's own.

Where I have very small caches with very small logs (not many, but they are out there) I don't like to see 3 lines taken up by one sticker. It increases how often I have to swap out logs. I personally like looking at log sheets to see who else has found a cache, and if it's being replaced often then I'm only getting part of the picture.

Stickers can be printed very small and stamps can be made small, too (I have one, but don't always remember to take mine with me.)

In the legal sense... a sticker is NOT considered a signature.

In the legal sense ... a STAMP is not either unless it has been authorized by a notary.

In a legal sense, "niraD" isn't a signature. I doubt "brslk" is either. Why would we apply legal standards to signing geocache logs?

I know families that sign with just their team name when they find micro-caches, to save space in the log. Then they go log online with their individual accounts, rather than with the team account that appears in the log. IMHO, that's fine.

So are stamps and stickers in the log book, although stickers to have a tendency to fall off and both can take a lot of room on small log sheets. A lot of stamps/stickers are going to be much more legible than handwritten signatures anyway.

But frankly, the issue should have been settled when a volunteer reviewer and moderator wrote:

Yes, both the logbook and the online log components are impermissible additional logging requirements. You do not need to pay attention to these, like if you normally use a sticker or stamp when visiting caches.

If the cache in question is a micro or other cache with a small logsheet, then it would be OK for the cache owner to request that loggers be considerate in taking up log real estate. For a full size cache with a full size logbook, the cache page language is inappropriate, even as an optional request.

And FWIW, I know people who use stamps as their legal signature. When necessary (e.g., signing escrow documents), they have the stamps notarized. Otherwise, they just use the stamp.

Fer cry'n out loud. We ain't signing legal documents here.

Maybe the OP is running a scam to turn the cache log book into signatures for a local petition?

While working the US Open as a volunteer, stationed for a week at a cash register (whoa, almost typed cache register) I was dumbstruck by how urban legends and myths are picked up by people and believed, with firm conviction at times.

We were instructed not to accept any credit card which was not signed - this is a requirment of the card issuer (don't like it, don't get a credit card, seriously.)

Somebody, somewhere started some lame story going around the interwebs about people stealing your identity if they find your card, because they can sign for things. :unsure: Sorry, but that's pretty daft. It's quite sad when people will hear something from a dubious source and completely believe it, but then choose to vent about it at a cashier who is instructed to follow the Terms of Use of the card issuers.

I dunno about anyone else, but I have changed how I sign my signature a few times in my life. Particularly when I broke my right clavicle 5 years ago and had to scrawl with my left hand. Perhaps 'scrawl' is too kind, it looked like I wrote with crayons when I was about 2 years old. It was still accepted.

Don't like your sig, for caching or on o-fish-ull documents? Change it! It's your right. :(

What is a good source for stamps or stickers?

Never really considered before but since the original poster brought up the idea, it sounds good to me.

You can print your own stickers using Avery labels. The smallest printable label I've found is the 1/2" x 3/4". You can also get the larger ones and cut them into smaller strips.

Vistaprint.com has free stamps. Limited design, and you need to pay for shipping (about $5, I think) so "free" is not really so.

One of the approved geocoin vendors also make custom stamps, but I can't recall which one.

The smallest custom stamp I've found is the Xstamper N30. You can use a custom image. I bought one from stamp-connection.com - usual disclaimer : customer, no affiliation, etc.

Taoiseach makes wonderful rubber stamps for geocaching and letterboxing. They're quite large, and getting out the stamp and stamp-pad takes a bit of time, so I only use mine once in a while, and only in full-size logbooks. I stamp it in pink ink and then write my log in matching pink pen.

The really neat thing about using a distinctive stamp is that it stands out so other cachers who know me will spot it. Knowschad and I visited Arizona's oldest geocache within days of each other - we know this because he spotted my stamp!

But forget fun, geocaching is supposed to be about pedantic rules and controlling others.

while i couldn't care less if people use stamps or stickers, personally i think that nothing can replace nor represent better a person's identity than their own hand writing

a person's signature has been, and will always be, the highest level of identification

even where seals are used the signature adds more credibility and authenticates it

so bottom line for me is that i will always use a pen to sign the log

if you choose to use a stamp or sticker sign your initials on it

Edited by t4e

Why did you start this post AFTER a reviewer stated that stamps and stickers are permitted?

Why are you attacking me? It goes against my personal caching ethics. This is what happens in a free world.

I know you like to follow me and attack everything I say but please just walk away if you have nothing to add.

What would happen if they used a sticker made of plastic? It would degrade as fast as a rose in liquid nitrogen!

Lol - coming from a science teacher, it actually is quite well preserved in liquid nitrogen. Just don't bang it on the table :(

Why did you start this post AFTER a reviewer stated that stamps and stickers are permitted?

Why are you attacking me? It goes against my personal caching ethics. This is what happens in a free world.

I know you like to follow me and attack everything I say but please just walk away if you have nothing to add.

What would happen if they used a sticker made of plastic? It would degrade as fast as a rose in liquid nitrogen!

Lol - coming from a science teacher, it actually is quite well preserved in liquid nitrogen. Just don't bang it on the table :(

But, but, that's the fun part!

Don be getting all up in my grill with your fancy schmancy "science." Freeze, degrade, react, break, and decompose all mean exactly the same thing.

Edited by narcissa

I had actually considered using some stickers for a cache run for numbers - make some larger ones and some smaller ones for a group that is going, and that way we don't have to wait 2 minutes for one person to sign 4-5 names so we can move on.

Haven't ever done it before, but it makes sense when going with a group. Signing FireRef and the date doesn't take much time, but a bunch of names takes exponentially longer.

if you choose to use a stamp or sticker sign your initials on it

Why?

Hey, Monty Python Knight guy, snap out of it. You're going into pinehurst mode. (I know it - I just opened myself up for a response of ????????? *sigh*)

I would, but I'm trying my best to respect Keystone's wishes, as much as it pains me not to do it. :D

I'm still wondering why one would need to sign a stamped log or a sticker. I realize t4e feels that a signature is the best representation of someone. But signing a stamped log or sticker just seems redundant.

(I'm trying real hard to stay on-topic) :(

(I'm just about ready to stop worrying about double posts. The forums are driving me nuts tonight.)

I'm still wondering why one would need to sign a stamped log or a sticker. I realize t4e feels that a signature is the best representation of someone. But signing a stamped log or sticker just seems redundant.

this is me, t4e, making a suggestion, not someone else from around here, that shall not be named, that gives commands :(

what if i pee on the log? it's a natural signature, all kinds of mammals use it to mark (sign) their territory. would that count?

:(

What if everyone pees on the log? Do we have the technology to discern one cacher's urine from another? If not, then I'm afraid it doesn't count as a unique signature.

this is me, t4e, making a suggestion, not someone else from around here, that shall not be named, that gives commands :(

"if you choose to use a stamp or sticker sign your initials on it"

That's worded as a command, not a suggestion.

What if everyone pees on the log? Do we have the technology to discern one cacher's urine from another? If not, then I'm afraid it doesn't count as a unique signature.

the guidelines don't mention unique signature. you're just required to sign the log. doesn't say how! peeing on it sure leaves your mark. :(

Edited by dfx

the guidelines don't mention unique signature. you're just required to sign the log. doesn't say how! peeing on it sure leaves your mark. :(

True enough. I will henceforth allow urine logs to stand on my caches.

Just to avoid confusion, it might help to mention your logging method in your online logs, so people know that the urine is your log and not just vandalism.

(I'm just about ready to stop worrying about double posts. The forums are driving me nuts tonight.)

it looks like you're spending the time you get from waiting for the pages to load to pick new avatars. which makes for a lot of avatars in a short time :(

I'm digging ya.

(But not too deep. Don't want you to sufficate.) :D

Just to avoid confusion, it might help to mention your logging method in your online logs, so people know that the urine is your log and not just vandalism.

But.... who's gonna compare the scents to validate that cacher's log? And what if they decide to log the log with a log? :(

it looks like you're spending the time you get from waiting for the pages to load to pick new avatars. which makes for a lot of avatars in a short time :D

It's definitely a side affect. A good one? I let you decide. :)

But.... who's gonna compare the scents to validate that cacher's log?

what makes it worse is that the scent will vary depending on what the cacher had to drink or eat earlier. coffee? asparagus? that would throw the validation grossly off.

is anyone not convinced yet about how pointless this whole discussion is? :(

now we're on to something...instead of a log book can have sample containers, pee and write your name on it, if the CO owner decides to contest your presence at the cache reserves the right to request another sample and send it off to the lab for a test :(

is it just me or this thread has gone to the dogs? :D

I was convinced by the time we heard from the reviewer, about three comments down in the FIRST thread.

Where do you get this idea that hearing something from a reviewer is like hearing something from God, Narcissa. More often than not, all they are expressing is an educated opinion, and I believe that is exactly the case in this situation. And even if it were the "word of God", that does not mean the issue is closed for discussion, does it?

I was convinced by the time we heard from the reviewer, about three comments down in the FIRST thread.

Where do you get this idea that hearing something from a reviewer is like hearing something from God, Narcissa. More often than not, all they are expressing is an educated opinion, and I believe that is exactly the case in this situation. And even if it were the "word of God", that does not mean the issue is closed for discussion, does it?

Hey, I won't hesitate to call out a reviewer, but when it comes down to an issue of what is/isn't allowed on a cache page, reviewers know the ropes.

is anyone not convinced yet about how pointless this whole discussion is? :D

Yes, it does. Now shut up!

:( What?!

I have seen people complain about people slapping a sticker signature or stamping one all over a log.

My question is, Geocaching.com and Groundspeak says that we must sign the log to claim a find. Pretty basic.

In the legal sense... a sticker is NOT considered a signature.

In the legal sense ... a STAMP is not either unless it has been authorized by a notary.

So in any sense.. neither should be considered acceptable.

The best case is that a team or family has taken the time to have a stamp made or stickers and use them.

The worst case is that people use them to get numbers and dont even visit the chaches these stickers or stamps are placed on.

I have no dog in this fight but just find it odd that the guidelines say that you have to sign the log to claim a find but will accept a sticker or stamp as a signature...

Well the thing I don't like is I have seen them both used on small log sheets where they take up sometimes as much a 6 lines therefor filling up the log prematurely.

Just say "NO" to Stickers & Stamps.

Scubasonic

what if i pee on the log? it's a natural signature, all kinds of mammals use it to mark (sign) their territory. would that count?

:D

:(And I thought all those DAMP logs were from leaking containers, not leaking cachers!!!

Now for sure I won't leave home without my stamper.............and rubber gloves........and Bio-hazard suit! :)

I never realised that log-book stamps are frowned upon by some – oops – I had one made up for our team very early on in our geocaching career – as I had seen a couple of stamp impressions in other logbooks, and thought they looked great.

We don’t use it in teeny tiny logs, as it is about an inch square, but we do always use it where there is ample space. Not in lieu of handwriting – we always write at the very least the date and our first names, usually more than that – what we think of the location, details of any trades etc etc.

Is that considered somehow inappropriate / annoying?

As for a “proper” signature – I’ve never signed my full name in a cache signature-style (what I would use to sign a cheque) – and I’m pretty sure I’ve not seen anyone else do that either, at least it’s certainly not common.

They are not frowned upon, there are just a few people who for some unknown reason like to stir up a bunch of garbage about it. If you like to stamp tthe logs, stamp the logs. If anyone ever deletes a log because of it, they are just some kind or control freak, and I wouldn't let it bother you..

I never realised that log-book stamps are frowned upon by some – oops – I had one made up for our team very early on in our geocaching career – as I had seen a couple of stamp impressions in other logbooks, and thought they looked great.

We don’t use it in teeny tiny logs, as it is about an inch square, but we do always use it where there is ample space. Not in lieu of handwriting – we always write at the very least the date and our first names, usually more than that – what we think of the location, details of any trades etc etc.

Is that considered somehow inappropriate / annoying?

As for a “proper” signature – I’ve never signed my full name in a cache signature-style (what I would use to sign a cheque) – and I’m pretty sure I’ve not seen anyone else do that either, at least it’s certainly not common.

They are not frowned upon, there are just a few people who for some unknown reason like to stir up a bunch of garbage about it. If you like to stamp tthe logs, stamp the logs. If anyone ever deletes a log because of it, they are just some kind or control freak, and I wouldn't let it bother you..

Wow, you need to settle down. I didn't see anyone that was ready to delete logs because of anything mentioned in this thread. You and a certain narcissistic person got your gonch in a knot and went on a tangent.

I started this thread on a lark. Not to provoke people but to open a general discussion and it seems to have brought out the worst in people.

I'll leave it open because I am some kind of control freak who knows nothing about Plastics. (snicker)

I started this thread on a lark. Not to provoke people but to open a general discussion...

I seriously doubt that you did not intend to provoke people. Either that or you are stunningly unable to communicate effectively. Go back, read your initial posts, and consider how you would react if someone else had written them.

Admit it. You were trolling. You got the reaction you wanted.

To be on-topic, I used to be rabidly anti-sticker, but I have seen the error of my ways.

I started this thread on a lark. Not to provoke people but to open a general discussion...

I seriously doubt that you did not intend to provoke people. Either that or you are stunningly unable to communicate effectively. Go back, read your initial posts, and consider how you would react if someone else had written them.

Admit it. You were trolling. You got the reaction you wanted.

To be on-topic, I used to be rabidly anti-sticker, but I have seen the error of my ways.

You are not a mind reader. you have no idea what I had in mind.

Feel free to read through my forum posts and see how many times I have trolled.

You have an opinion and sometimes it is right. It is also wrong many times.

I have no reason to go back and read my posts. I wrote them. I know what I wrote.

I, unlike you do not pretend to know how others would react to my posts.

And hey.. good for you for adding the on-topic bit :(

stunningly unable to communicate effectively

I think this is the only reasonable conclusion to be ascertained. An actual troll would have found a more clever way to fan the flames than simply bringing up previous, entirely unrelated posts every time someone refuted his assertions.

My avatar is the stamp I use in logbooks.

As far as using it as a time saving device, I find that by the time I've got it and the ink pad uncovered, I could have written a small essay.

bc39fcc4-f264-4904-a25f-e9225a8c9bb1.jpg

Edit to add picture. While I have no plans to change my avatar, if I need to go into hiding like some others who frequent these forums, it might confuse future readers. . .

Edit again: Oh, man! After adding the pic, I'm reminded that the forums now squish avatars. I'm gonna have to fix mine, someday. . .

Edit again: Why not? :(

I think your stamp is way cool and I'd enjoy seeing it in a log book.

There are two people I know of in my area who use stamps, small round stamps, 5/8 or 3/4 of an inch, and I often notice the stamp. OTOH, I don't pay much attention to the written signatures.

In general, this thread is simply unbelievable. The name of the game is GeoCaching, not GeoLogging. I just don't understand so much energy being expended on an incidental aspect of the game.

Hi there,

I use a stamp basically from the beginning on, however only on logs which support the size of the stamp. I would never use it on nanos or micros.

Why do I use it? Because it makes the entry look "neat": It's a small logo and says "found by DANBOSS on ___ at __:__. IN: ___ / OUT: ___ . TFTC!"

So if I am in a hurry or the log looks pretty full, I just complete the empty lines and that's it (so there is handwriting to a certain extent); if I have time (not a crowded place!) or I want to add further remarks to the owner, I stamp and add further comments.

For me, this is a nice solution and I don't see, why this should be an issue. Besides that, I find it much more interesting to look at the various stamps and stickers in a log than to just see something like "8/25/09 - USER - TFTC".

Regards danboss

P.S. I used my local print shop to buy the stamp. The accepted my layout as a WORD-Doc and created it with no extra costs (i.e. was included in the price for the stamp).

I seriously doubt that you did not intend to provoke people.

You are not a mind reader. you have no idea what I had in mind.

Fizzy wasn't claiming to be a mind reader, but I am.

Fizzy's astute observation was right on and from my poking around a bit in your mind, you're gonna go to heck for that thang you did when you were 14. :cry::ph34r::anibad::(:D:):o