buying a gps

meshmom&crew

hi! I am brand new to the world of geocaching. I need to buy a gps; but am a little overwhelmed by all the choices! At this point; I can't go over $250(cdn). what is recommended; any brands that I should avoid? input & advice greatly appreciated!!

Garmin Venture HC is the way to go. You can get one on Amazon for as little a $100, but usually run for about $120, but that is US$ so you will have to convert it.

I would avoid Magellan because of their horrible reputation for customer support.

In your price range something like the above mentioned Garmin Venture HC or a for a bit more, a Garmin Legend HCX. Or better yet, if you can find it, a Garmin 60CSX. They are being sold at nearly half what they were going for a few months ago because Garmin released an updated version. If you can find a 60CSX or 60CX in your price range jump on it. It is still a great unit.

Another option might be the DeLorme PN40, but I'm not sure if Canadian maps are available. You'd have to check into that first.

Hmm wouldn't know about Magellan's support as I've never had to use it. I have the Magellan GC, and it's flippin' amazing. The interface is built specifically for geocaching, and is fully integrated with the website here. In addition, it can hold 10,000 geocaches at once using multiple GPX files, instead of 1000-2000 that similar units use (granted they have the ability to load GPX files on the fly sometimes, but in reality I'd rather just load up everything within 30+ miles and not worry about ). There are people that will say it ONLY meant for geocaching and for the price it should do more, Umm I can't think of one thing I'd need a hiking GPS to do that this one doesn't. I can log my tracks, and map out routes if I so desire with ease.

If I had ONE complaint about this unit, it would be the thumb joystick, it's short, and when your thumb gets sweaty, it's almost impossible to use the joystick to navigate around the screens. And that you can't update the basemap or load Topographic maps.(yet?)

1269339294.jpeg

Here's a pretty good review showing comparison and screenshots http://www.maritime-geocaching.com/forums/...hp/archives/237

Edited by Dragery

dont do like i did i bought a Magellan at first and try to get it to work intill i was blue in the face and than these guys here told me to get Garmin i didnt listen i trade the Magellan in for a bushnell that didnt work!!!

I than decided to get a Garmin //i now have have Garmin eTrex Vista,and as long that you do something with compass, and barometric altimeter. ...

All that i know when i change Batterys i have to set the altimeter,and than walk in a circle to set the compass, :unsure::(

hi! I am brand new to the world of geocaching. I need to buy a gps; but am a little overwhelmed by all the choices! At this point; I can't go over $250(cdn). what is recommended; any brands that I should avoid? input & advice greatly appreciated!!

Garmin Venture HC is the way to go. You can get one on Amazon for as little a $100, but usually run for about $120, but that is US$ so you will have to convert it.

Yeah the Venture HC is a great starter GPSr. And here in Canada, RadioWorld has amongst the best prices on stuff like that. Right now they have the Venture HC bundled with a bunch of stuff for just $128

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?cPat...roducts_id=6613

[disclaimer]no I don't work for Radioworld :unsure: [/disclaimer]

dont do like i did i bought a Magellan at first and try to get it to work intill i was blue in the face

Please specify the model, don't just put EVERY Magellan unit into the same category. I can guarantee you weren't using the GC, and if you were, and still getting blue in the face, then user error is at fault.

I'm also relatively new to geocaching and a few weeks ago a bought a Garmin Dakota 20... (the little brother of the Oregon series)

It wasn't that expensive and i have a compass, altimeter and i can geocache paperless...

It has a touchscreen and every option available for the game...

Very, very pleased with it!

dont do like i did i bought a Magellan at first and try to get it to work intill i was blue in the face and than these guys here told me to get Garmin i didnt listen i trade the Magellan in for a bushnell that didnt work!!!

I than decided to get a Garmin //i now have have Garmin eTrex Vista,and as long that you do something with compass, and barometric altimeter. ...

All that i know when i change Batterys i have to set the altimeter,and than walk in a circle to set the compass, :(:D

Magellan is under new ownership. Having been a long-time Triton owner I can attest to their previous horrible support, but it appears that under the regime, folks are quickly falling in love with the eXplorist GC. Will be interesting to see what folks thing of the new models soon to be released. But I digress... I gave up in frustration and switched to an Oregon 550 and there's no looking back.

Hmm wouldn't know about Magellan's support as I've never had to use it. I have the Magellan GC, and it's flippin' amazing. The interface is built specifically for geocaching, and is fully integrated with the website here. In addition, it can hold 10,000 geocaches at once using multiple GPX files, instead of 1000-2000 that similar units use (granted they have the ability to load GPX files on the fly sometimes, but in reality I'd rather just load up everything within 30+ miles and not worry about ). There are people that will say it ONLY meant for geocaching and for the price it should do more, Umm I can't think of one thing I'd need a hiking GPS to do that this one doesn't. I can log my tracks, and map out routes if I so desire with ease.

If I had ONE complaint about this unit, it would be the thumb joystick, it's short, and when your thumb gets sweaty, it's almost impossible to use the joystick to navigate around the screens. And that you can't update the basemap or load Topographic maps.(yet?)

1269339294.jpeg

Here's a pretty good review showing comparison and screenshots http://www.maritime-geocaching.com/forums/...hp/archives/237

Thanks; this was one that I was also looking at!

We are very new to geocaching and started out paperless. We use an iPad 3gs and the geocaching App. It never dawned on me that people might not be able to do this paperless - lol. There is no way I would give that up now.

With the iPad 3gs we can move from one area to another and just click to get a new search of caches near to us, look over the hints and logs, etc. I can't wait until a native iPad application is released to take advantage of the larger screen, currently we have to use the iPod/iPhone version.

On accuracy, the few caches we have found so far have normally been within 4 to 8 feet of "GZ".

Frank

I am new to geocaching and have done a bunch of research. I have found I can buy either the Garmin Colorado 400i or a newer Oregon 200 for under $200 on eBay. Now they are refurbished units from Garmin but they come with a 1 year warranty. Both these units are completely paperless and are extremely nice. I plan on buying one or the other as soon as I can save up the money.