Geocaching - What Distance - GPS Proximity Alarm

jeep'g

Just trying to get an idea to what extent you rely on your GPS proximity alarm and what distance do you set it for? For example, how many of you set it for .10 of a mile? What other distances do you use or do you rely on your distance indicator on your GPS unit? I am new to this and have only found 3 caches so far. Thanks in advance for your input! :lol:

Just trying to get an idea to what extent you rely on your GPS proximity alarm and what distance do you set it for? For example, how many of you set it for .10 of a mile? What other distances do you use or do you rely on your distance indicator on your GPS unit? I am new to this and have only found 3 caches so far. Thanks in advance for your input! :lol:

None at all. I don't hear well so I didn't notice it when I had it on.

Usually when we get about 50 feet away I double check the D/T and size of the cache. Then look for about 10 mins for each difficulty star, then look at the hint (if we remembered to write it down), then look for another half hour and then finally give up.

I never used the alarm. The units I've used that have one, don't have a setting that would be beneficial for geocaching. I don't consider 500 feet as "proximity" when I'm on the cache hunt.

If I'm close enough to the cache then I'm looking at the unit and don't need an alarm.

The only time I think one might be useful is if I were on a trip and had loaded caches along the route. Then if I came within range of a cache I'd hear the alarm. I often pass by caches on trips because I'm not paying attention to the GPS so a proximity alarm while driving might be a benefit.

We have alarms? :lol:

Driving I just use the factory presets. Once I'm on my feet I'll stop looking at the GPS more than the terrain when it gets me inside 50'. I'll located a Ground Zero and then use the force more than the GPS.

In other words, don't be too reliant on your unit-let it get you close and then try to think like a hider.

Edited by wimseyguy

My Delorme PN-30 is automatically set to 60m and then 10m. I use it because I like the trail hunts. You might walk for 1/2km to the cache. With the alarm I don't have to keep looking at my GPS. When the alarm goes off I take the GPS off my neck switch to the compass screen and start searching.

I can enjoy my hike better between caches this way.

I cache with a smart phone.

I use the satellite view until I get very close to the cache so that I can make sure I am taking the right paths and not bushwhacking unnecessarily.

When I get close I will switch between my gps distance arrow and satellite view as needed, but when I get to a good GZ, I usually put the phone away and use my geosenses.

If I get stuck, I go back and read past logs and re-read the description to see if I missed something. If the first couple logs don't do it, I access the page from my phone and read ALL the logs.

After 30-60 minutes after that I'll usually call a DNF and come back on a future date.

I don't use it for finding geocaches, but for hiding them. When I set the prox alarm it draws a circle around the cache on the map page. If I set it to .1 mile I can see if I'm too close to another cache (or in some places several caches). If I want to be real sure I set it to .11.

My Garmin 60csx is set to 50' so I know when to really start paying attention on the trail to the cache. For my car GPS I set proximity alerts to .10 mile (in the POIs). It was more but I had to lessen the area due to alerts kept coming up every second or so in a cache dense area. Talk about driving me crazy!

I never used the alarm. The units I've used that have one, don't have a setting that would be beneficial for geocaching. I don't consider 500 feet as "proximity" when I'm on the cache hunt.

If I'm close enough to the cache then I'm looking at the unit and don't need an alarm.

The only time I think one might be useful is if I were on a trip and had loaded caches along the route. Then if I came within range of a cache I'd hear the alarm. I often pass by caches on trips because I'm not paying attention to the GPS so a proximity alarm while driving might be a benefit.

I'm not sure what mine is set at. I usually just ignore it when it beeps (I don't get a popup message or I'd probably turn it off).

I've thought that a proximity alert by symbol type would be useful for caches along a route. Instead of an alert when you're within .1 of a mile of a waypoint you've selected to navigate to, if it could sound an alert when when the proximity goes under .1 of a mile for *any* geocache then you could just drive without checking the GPS every few minutes to see if one is coming up. To be really useful, it would only sound an alarm if the proximity has reached a threshold *and* the distance is decreasing.

I used the proximity alarm in Memory Map, for the first time a few weeks ago.

I set it for 50 feet and sure enough as the distance came down, it duely sounded,

And I couldnt for the life in me work out how to stop it, so as I was franticaly tapping the screen of my PDA in an effort to silence it, my caching partner found the cache, signed the log and then came to see what I was doing.......................

Needless to say , I WON'T be using it again :unsure::(:(

If it could sound an alert when when the proximity goes under .1 of a mile for *any* geocache then you could just drive without checking the GPS every few minutes to see if one is coming up. To be really useful, it would only sound an alarm if the proximity has reached a threshold *and* the distance is decreasing.

When i load the gpx/memorymap files on the PDA I aslo add the caches to tomtom as POIs - the tomtom then "mooos" at me when we are within 100yard of a cache

Edited by Smurf

Turning off all the darn sounds was one of my first tasks when I got my new GPSr... :(

I used to cache with a partner who had all the alarms and bells and whistles turned on. It made funny annoying noises for turns and almost theres' and just about every other thing I could think of. And it made really obnoxious noises when it wanted you to turn and you didn't.

I detest having a piece of equipment tell me what to do... :(

And yes, I don't turn the oven timer on either.... :unsure:

If it could sound an alert when when the proximity goes under .1 of a mile for *any* geocache then you could just drive without checking the GPS every few minutes to see if one is coming up. To be really useful, it would only sound an alarm if the proximity has reached a threshold *and* the distance is decreasing.

When i load the gpx/memorymap files on the PDA I aslo add the caches to tomtom as POIs - the tomtom then "mooos" at me when we are within 100yard of a cache

Does it "moo" at you when you're within 100 yards of *any* cache/poi, or do you have tell the TomTom that you want to navigate to a specific POI first? If you don't have to indicate that you're navigating to a specific waypoint, how does it determine that the POI it's mooing about is a geocache?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a car navigation GPS for awhile and if the TomTom can provide proximity alerts for a POI category then that's a data point in favor of a TomTom rather than another vendor. I would, however, leave the car navigation GPS in the car and use my handheld for navigating once I get out of the car.

I never have sound on my nuvi (that lady is annoying!) It does have a red pop up when I'm within 500 ft (which is kind of annoying). My PN40 beeps at 200 ft and 100 ft. I don't mind it because it lets you know to start looking without having to stare at the GPS the whole time.

Does it "moo" at you when you're within 100 yards of *any* cache/poi, or do you have tell the TomTom that you want to navigate to a specific POI first? If you don't have to indicate that you're navigating to a specific waypoint, how does it determine that the POI it's mooing about is a geocache?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a car navigation GPS for awhile and if the TomTom can provide proximity alerts for a POI category then that's a data point in favor of a TomTom rather than another vendor. I would, however, leave the car navigation GPS in the car and use my handheld for navigating once I get out of the car.

I have it set to display POIs on the main navigation screen and disable all POIs exapt caches, i have the distance set to 100 yards, but you can set it to whatever distance you want.

Then as you drive round the caches show up on the screen as POIs and the alarm sounds if it's within the specified distance, you don't have to be navigating to it (or anything else) it works either way.

As for genorating the POI file - GSAK is my best friend

Edited by Smurf

As a P.S. ......

I also have been known to use tomtom for urban caching, enter the co-ords, (or the POI)

set it to walking mode and off you go, great for getting to GZ in a strange town/city.

I switch to "normal" gps once i get close to GZ.

Thanks for everyone's input -- much appreciated! I use a Garmin 76CSx handheld unit and am not sure whether a proximity alarm helps that much. It sounds from the input that overall there are not very many of you who rely on a proximity alarm. Any other thoughts? :(