FTF Treat

Hello everyone. I am kind of new to the whole geo cahcing and my family and I are wanting to put our own out there for people to find. I have read things on guidelines and ideas of what to do but nothing is about what you put in for the FTF person. I have never got a FTF so I am not sure what things people put in them. I seen in the geo store that there are a couple things you can buy to put as your FTF but I was wondering what other ideas people have done. Thanks for your help.

Happy caching

Sarah

Hello everyone. I am kind of new to the whole geo cahcing and my family and I are wanting to put our own out there for people to find. I have read things on guidelines and ideas of what to do but nothing is about what you put in for the FTF person. I have never got a FTF so I am not sure what things people put in them. I seen in the geo store that there are a couple things you can buy to put as your FTF but I was wondering what other ideas people have done. Thanks for your help.

Happy caching

Sarah

Nothing really is required just being the FTF is prize enough. But I have gotten $1 - $5 dollars, gift card for gas pretty much whatever. The FTF hunt is not recognized by Groundspeak it is kinda a side game and a very touchy subject for some so I will sit back and watch now.

:lol:

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

Happy caching

Sarah

FTF prizes are not necessary. Most FTFers are just thrilled with an empty log to sign. We've found a few caches first and have never been given any other prize than being able to log first (not that a prize wouldn't have added to the thrill). Sometimes we will add a prize for the FTF in our caches. When we choose to do so, I like to add something that relates to the cache in some way. For instance, we had a beaver themed cache in which I placed a carved beaver for the first finder. In another cache, a multi with a Sleeping Beauty theme, I added a geocoin that was shaped like a pair of lips for a FTF prize.

When I put out my first cache I will probably put in a nice little FTF. 20 dollar giftcard or a rare coin. Something that really makes it feel like treasure and encourages people to go out and hunt it down. It wont be an easy find or terrain though. >:lol:

Before you drop a $20 on a FTF prize, do a little research to see if there are FTF hounds in your area. Many times there are a small handful of FTF hounds that end up with all the FTF prizes. For the FTF hounds, the blank logsheet is the prize. To "pay" them to beat out all the rest in a race seems silly.

Now if your cache isn't within the area of a hound then someone will find a nice surprise.

***yes, I am a FTF hound.

Thanks for the feed back with all the ideas. I dont think I will put $20 in it but something neat and maybe related to the cache are good ideas. Thanks for the heads up about the FTF hounds. I think I do have one around here. When I was looking for caches in the area, I did see the same name on many and random names on the others I looked at. Talk about ruining the fun for others. Thanks again.

Sarah

Thanks for the feed back with all the ideas. I dont think I will put $20 in it but something neat and maybe related to the cache are good ideas. Thanks for the heads up about the FTF hounds. I think I do have one around here. When I was looking for caches in the area, I did see the same name on many and random names on the others I looked at. Talk about ruining the fun for others. Thanks again.

Sarah

To offset FTF hounds, some cache owners mark items for STF (second to find) and TTF (third to find). Of course, this may cost a bit more and is on the honor system, though I have seen it honored multiple times.

Yes, I enjoy making the FTF prizes relate to the cache hide.

FTF items in my cache hides:

--Laminated FTF certificate personalized for each cache

--Authentic Greek/Roman coins from late BC/early AD centuries (for my Olympian cache series)

--Gift card to seafood restaurant for my "I Wonder...Do Fish Sleep?" cache

--TV series DVD for my "TV Tales-n-Trivia: Mr. Ed" cache, also small stuffed animal horses for kids

Of course, these are easier to include when hiding ammo boxes and non-micro containers.

As others have noted, do it for the enjoyment of others. As a finder, just being the FTF is prize enough.

The only prize most FTFs want is a blank logbook. I suggest taking the money you would have spent on the FTF prize and spruce up the contents for everybody.

Ive picked up a couple of these for a couple of puzzles we are working on. Its an inexpensive trinket, but still something special. Putting it in a puzzle, or something off the beaten path will make it a fair game for those fighting the ftf hounds.

Sarah

I disagree with the "ruining fun for others". There are like 9 FTF hounds in my area. I love the idea that if you go to a cache right as it is posted that you might run into other cachers. It hasn't happened to me yet, since both of my FTF's were pretty quick, but I can't wait for it to happen.

To me, I see it as a challenge to try to beat them, but I don't see non-premium members competing for FTF's in areas with FTF hounds. The notifications of new caches are pretty awesome. I usually notice them within about an hour or so and then decide if it is worth it to drive like 10 miles or not. The two that I have gotten were because they were within about 3 mi of me, so they were definitely worth grabbing.

Edited by TABjuggler

There are only 3 or 4 of us who might even be considered FTF hounds here, and the only reason I participate is to frustrate the others (they're my friends) and I think they do it for the same reason. One lady puts a dollar into all her caches. One lady prints out little cards and attaches some sort of pin to them. That's about it here.

It's definitely not a race for the prize, I just enjoy the social aspect of it. And there's not many caches around here, so when a new one comes out, it's hard to not want to go get it right away. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that...

I consider claiming the FTF to be enough of a prize to anyone, which includes having first option on trade items in a cache.

Some day I might feel like putting a geocoin or humorous little plastic FTF trophy if the cache is a particularly difficult find, but I'm assured of one thing - If I place a cache it will be found, at least once, because some people around here will go find it. Most of the treacherous terrain has already been claimed, unless I want to go about 70 miles away to place a cache. This means doing big multi or fiendish puzzle closer to home.

Ni!

Is this you saying that the post is "Not Interesting" ? or are you just really into Monty Python?

It is a reference to Monty Python. About a month ago someone suggested we start replying with Ni! when people as questions that have been asked 1000s of times.

"Ni!" is too easy. Maybe you should say "Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing Zow Zing!" instead.

Ni!

Is this you saying that the post is "Not Interesting" ? or are you just really into Monty Python?

It is a reference to Monty Python. About a month ago someone suggested we start replying with Ni! when people as questions that have been asked 1000s of times.

So.........you want a new topic in a geocaching forum?? (snarky/ playful tone here - y'all seem to like that anyway) How about Crochet? I know a lot about that!

Anyway, whatever the specific geocaching question, it's not been touched on for forum visitors who are NEW, or people learning the rules of geocaching. I guess when I feel like I know everything I want to know about geocaching, I'll stop coming here to read and ask questions. Some of you might be here to answer the questions for those of us asking. But "Ni" might be considered kinda RUDE if the original poster understood the inside joke (and even if they didn't, since inside jokes are kinda rude in a group setting anyway).

But "Ni" might be considered kinda RUDE if the original poster understood the inside joke (and even if they didn't, since inside jokes are kinda rude in a group setting anyway).

It's not really an inside joke since it was openly discussed just a little over a month ago. It was definitely after you joined. It's also actually intended to keep from being rude. It was suggested as a way to say this has been asked and answered a thousand times, it's likely to lead to a flame war due to the fact that this particular topic generally leans in that direction, and I will simply say Ni! and leave it at that as not to contribute to the ensuing argument that is about to happen.

But this is side banter which I've been asked not to participate in.

So to stay on-topic, I'll add that I find I always enjoy finding mint condition $50 bills and/or keys to a new car when I get to a cache before anyone else.

*** Edited to add that we also enjoy our fair share of shubbery around here.

Edited by GeoBain
But "Ni" might be considered kinda RUDE if the original poster understood the inside joke (and even if they didn't, since inside jokes are kinda rude in a group setting anyway).

It's not really an inside joke since it was openly discussed just a little over a month ago. It was definitely after you joined. It's also actually intended to keep from being rude. It was suggested as a way to say this has been asked and answered a thousand times, it's likely to lead to a flame war due to the fact that this particular topic generally leans in that direction, and I will simply say Ni! and leave it at that as not to contribute to the ensuing argument that is about to happen.

But this is side banter which I've been asked not to participate in.

So to stay on-topic, I'll add that I find I always enjoy finding mint condition $50 bills and/or keys to a new car when I get to a cache before anyone else.

*** Edited to add that we also enjoy our fair share of shubbery around here.

Just goes to show. No matter what you do someone can find a way to take offense.

No FTF prizes in my caches any more. If I want to give the Flashes a gift I'll just go meet 'em for coffee.

No FTF prizes in my caches any more. If I want to give the Flashes a gift I'll just go meet 'em for coffee.

I used to put FTF prizes in caches. And I might again, depending on the placement. But we now have FTF hounds that will travel 40 miles to get FTF in a day or so. There's not really any point to it now.

Just goes to show. No matter what you do someone can find a way to take offense.

Some people just have no sense of humor. :(

I used to put FTF prizes in caches. And I might again, depending on the placement. But we now have FTF hounds that will travel 40 miles to get FTF in a day or so. There's not really any point to it now.

Some people just have no sense of humor. :(

haha! He edited out half of my reply! I wasn't offended. It just goes to show that no matter what people may say, someone will say "NI" to it!

Alright... whoever the joker is that has been spreading this concept of "FTF Prizes" (or "treats", if you will) please stop it! A blank log is all the reward that is needed by the folks that chose to practice this imaginary contest. Please don't encourage them with treats.

Alright... whoever the joker is that has been spreading this concept of "FTF Prizes" (or "treats", if you will) please stop it! A blank log is all the reward that is needed by the folks that chose to practice this imaginary contest. Please don't encourage them with treats.

Surely a treat would lure a young pup such as yourself.

milkbone.gif

Arf!!!

milkbone.gif

Arf!!!

That would be a great FTF treat for a cache hidden in a dog park. :(

Thanks for the heads up about the FTF hounds. I think I do have one around here. When I was looking for caches in the area, I did see the same name on many and random names on the others I looked at. Talk about ruining the fun for others. Thanks again.

Sarah

Sarah,

Don't know why it would ruin the game for others everyone has the same opportunity to get up and go get a FTF just some don't want to, and then like to point fingers at the ones that do, and make condescending statements towards them, as if there is something wrong with getting multiple FTFs.

And YEP to answer your question I am a FTF Hog and darn proud of it, I worked hard for all 930 of them.

:(

Scubasonic

These are my FTF treats:

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

b37217ae-cd63-4472-ac9b-4739c973a950.jpg

I also like to leave the 2nd place one on the rare occasion that I get FTF. :anibad::(

Where do you get these things made up?

I designed the die(s) (12 + 2 backside dies) and I own a coin press. I can run off about 130 to 170 and hour and then I don't need to make any for YEARS. :D:):o

Edited by Snoogans