GCF 2010 Private collection coin sales not allowed

MHz

If you want to sell in your room, in the lobby, after or before the main event, at one of the many other events over the weekend, at your OWN event that you host at another time/place, then have at it. Why not come up with your own event to host as a Geocoin swap meet? I'm sure the comittee would welcome other events to help add to the fun of the weekend.

Actually, quite the opposite. I was one of the main coordinators for ancillary events to GeoWoodstock this year. People put a great deal of time, effort, labor, money... you name it, into making these events fun, interesting and timely to the geocaching community attending... we had a case where someone just wanted to set up shop and run an event at the same time as other sanctioned events just to promote their business... I had no problem with someone contacting me and wanting to do an event ... if there was a niche need that we needed to fill etc. I was on the other end of this when I did Midnight Madness at last year's GW7, in hindsight I should have contacted them properly before running the event... which is what I did for this years.

Tired, does even what I am saying make any sense to people? :yikes:

Speaking of heavy baggage, better check with the airline now, and see how much they charge extra for that baggage. Added fees are everywhere! You'll have to include that in your expenses to recoup! You might have to forgo a pillow, blanket and soda, just so you can bring your geocoins along.

Speaking of heavy baggage, better check with the airline now, and see how much they charge extra for that baggage. Added fees are everywhere! You'll have to include that in your expenses to recoup! You might have to forgo a pillow, blanket and soda, just so you can bring your geocoins along.

Or you could ship your coins, Priority Mail is a good deal if you use the whole 70 pounds.

If you want to sell in your room, in the lobby, after or before the main event, at one of the many other events over the weekend, at your OWN event that you host at another time/place, then have at it. Why not come up with your own event to host as a Geocoin swap meet? I'm sure the comittee would welcome other events to help add to the fun of the weekend.

Actually, quite the opposite. I was one of the main coordinators for ancillary events to GeoWoodstock this year. People put a great deal of time, effort, labor, money... you name it, into making these events fun, interesting and timely to the geocaching community attending... we had a case where someone just wanted to set up shop and run an event at the same time as other sanctioned events just to promote their business... I had no problem with someone contacting me and wanting to do an event ... if there was a niche need that we needed to fill etc. I was on the other end of this when I did Midnight Madness at last year's GW7, in hindsight I should have contacted them properly before running the event... which is what I did for this years.

Tired, does even what I am saying make any sense to people? :yikes:

I thimk I see what you mean, and I think a "Private Seller Swap Meet" would definitly fill a niche. I hosted an event the morning after GCF09, and I also had asked(although in a somewhat informal setting) and was told that it wouldn't really be a problem, I think at least communicating with the commitee is a good idea, and I can't really see them saying no, if they even have the right.

I thing a side event for private sales/trades would be a great idea. If I lived there I'd host it.

Haha, yard sale at Zelanzy's house!! (No Vendors Allowed)

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I can't believe how many people actually think that starting another geocoin event before/during/after the mega-geocoin event is in any way helpful or right. it just seems counter productive and would seem to be a waste of time as most will be at the mega-event and arranging their caching weekend around this. lets not even get started in what an insult to the committee and volunteers who are setting up a mega-geocoin event. That's not the spirit or solution I was looking for at all. Once again just my own opinion on this. I even went as far as to inquire with my local cache reviewer to find out what the general opinion was from Groundspeak about this and I was quite happy with his answer which lined up with what I thought for the most part. (I like getting 3rd party opinions who don't have anything at stake in an issue).

I think that if you look, you will find that most Mega events are surrounded by several smaller events on both ends, for the week before and the week after. I certainly hope that no one on the commitee is offended by these events. It's not a competition but rather a community effort to make sure that there is a little something for everyone. When I planned my Sunday morning event last year, there were no others planned for Sunday, but by the time the day arrived there ended up being 4 different events throughout the day. I think that was great so that anyone who wanted to could pick one that fit their style and still have room in the day for whatever else they wanted to do.

I am still trying to think of what to say on this thread.

I think it is great we have a chance to rent areas to sell our extra geocoins and etc if the event group allows us to.

I for one did rent a booth during GW this year and it was great to have a secured spot to call home and be able to sell some extra items i had.

I plan on doing this at many more events.

I show up at events and if i am allowed to sell coins then i do and if i am told no then i do not sell them.

I always take part of my sales and give back to the group or event involved to help out with raffle or auction prizes and of course money if they want that.

Geocoiners working togehter with happy and positive attitudes make it a real happy world.

Geocaching events cost a lot of money to host and i am all about working together to make it easier on us all.

DARN!!! I have more events to host so i need to buy, sell and make more geocoins so i can try and host events that will be great memories for us all to enjoy!!

Sorry if i got off track on this at all.

Thanks for allowing or not allowing us to sell coins at certain times.

I am still trying to think of what to say on this thread.

I think it is great we have a chance to rent areas to sell our extra geocoins and etc if the event group allows us to.

I for one did rent a booth during GW this year and it was great to have a secured spot to call home and be able to sell some extra items i had.

I plan on doing this at many more events.

I show up at events and if i am allowed to sell coins then i do and if i am told no then i do not sell them.

I always take part of my sales and give back to the group or event involved to help out with raffle or auction prizes and of course money if they want that.

Geocoiners working togehter with happy and positive attitudes make it a real happy world.

Geocaching events cost a lot of money to host and i am all about working together to make it easier on us all.

DARN!!! I have more events to host so i need to buy, sell and make more geocoins so i can try and host events that will be great memories for us all to enjoy!!

Sorry if i got off track on this at all.

Thanks for allowing or not allowing us to sell coins at certain times.

I'm in alignment with River Cacher here. I just go with the flow, if its allowed great, if its not allowed thats OK too. I think both him and I would agree that if you just tell us what we can and can not do ahead of time, then we will follow those rules. The issue is that we just don't know the rules most of the time, which is, I believe, what initially spurred this whole thread.

Edit: I should mention I'm a vendor at the GCF main event, if that wasn't clear. See, we also want to sell outside the main event, but aren't allowed. And what isn't clear is if "side events" are considered "outside the main event" or not. Does "outside the main event" literally mean outside in the hallway? Or does it mean the hotel, or does it mean any event that is on the agenda of GCF? Last year, as Anne mentioned, people were selling at the meet and greet. So is that OK? If non-vendors (event participants) can sell at the meet and greet, why aren't paying vendors allowed to do the same? I KNOW some of the vendors last year were upset by hallway selling, not because of the competition, but because they specifically were disallowed from doing so. It was my first year, so I wasn't quite sure what to make of it heh!

Edited by Zelanzy

I'm in alignment with River Cacher here. I just go with the flow, if its allowed great, if its not allowed thats OK too. I think both him and I would agree that if you just tell us what we can and can not do ahead of time, then we will follow those rules. The issue is that we just don't know the rules most of the time, which is, I believe, what initially spurred this whole thread.

Edit: I should mention I'm a vendor at the GCF main event, if that wasn't clear. See, we also want to sell outside the main event, but aren't allowed. And what isn't clear is if "side events" are considered "outside the main event" or not. Does "outside the main event" literally mean outside in the hallway? Or does it mean the hotel, or does it mean any event that is on the agenda of GCF? Last year, as Anne mentioned, people were selling at the meet and greet. So is that OK? If non-vendors (event participants) can sell at the meet and greet, why aren't paying vendors allowed to do the same? I KNOW some of the vendors last year were upset by hallway selling, not because of the competition, but because they specifically were disallowed from doing so. It was my first year, so I wasn't quite sure what to make of it heh!

Certainly a good point. I wasn't aware of the rules against selling or any of the information about vending until after registration closed.

I still don't really have any idea of what will be going on at the event.

Yes. I'm willing to contribute a registration fee to attend an event thats fun for me or have the event structured to reduce the costs to hold it.

From your statement above I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1. What registration did you get?

2. Are you staying at the event hotel?

3. Have you donated anything to Geocoinfest 2010?

Here is a link to the donation topic on the forum.

There is also a donation link on our Friends of GCF page.

These are some of the other ways that an event like this is funded.

Have you supported GCF 2010 at all?

Yes, I have been to the last two GCF and other mega events and yes selling did go on at the trading tables. Was it against the rules? Yes. Did it get shut down? No, because no event organizer wants to make a big scene. If it’s done discreetly, and does not get out of hand, people looked the other way. I am sorry to say that with this being so publicized, that selling, other than by registered vendors, will be shut down, and both parties asked to leave the event.

You have heard from a vendor that if anyone could just setup and sell the he would not be a vendor. I am sure he is not the only one that thinks that way. In conversations with other vendors, they are just hoping to break even, they do it more to support the community and keep their names in front of the coiners. An event of this type could not happen without vendors. If you think it could, then go ahead and make a bid to do one!

At Geocoinfest 2010, only register vendors are allowed to sell. This includes the side events that GCF 2010 is sponsoring. You may not agree, but those are the rules for this event! This has been the case for the last few Geocoinfests and other Mega events. Geocoinfest is about Trading and talking about geocoins. We allow vendors to sell, to help defray the cost of the event.

The Main GCF event will run from 10 am to 4 pm. Vendors will be allowed to sell and traders will trade and talk about Geocoins. There are seminars and other activities that will go on throughout that time.

At Geocoinfest 2010, only register vendors are allowed to sell. This includes the side events that GCF 2010 is sponsoring. You may not agree, but those are the rules for this event! This has been the case for the last few Geocoinfests and other Mega events. Geocoinfest is about Trading and talking about geocoins. We allow vendors to sell, to help defray the cost of the event.

The Main GCF event will run from 10 am to 4 pm. Vendors will be allowed to sell and traders will trade and talk about Geocoins. There are seminars and other activities that will go on throughout that time.

I do not think this is much for you to ask at all.

I have been a committee member of a GCF and there is so much money that it takes to host one of these events and us as geocoiners need to do everything we can to make sure guidelines and rules are followed so we can keep having events like this.

Most of the vendors pay money and give donations to help make sure these events keep going for us all and we should be thanking all the committee members and vendors for making this all possible for us to attend and enjoy.

Please remember this event is FREE for people to attend and the committee is liable for all the cost of the building and etc so we really need to give them a high five for putting there necks out there for us. :P

As one of the folks that was on the GCF Pittsburgh committee, I can also tell you that there was one other consideration that we had to take into account regarding who could sell coins at the event...our venue. In the view of the hotel and township, our event was a vendor show. We, as the event organizers, were required by the hotel to secure a permit from the township (listing all participating vendors) to use their facilities for this type of event. It was part of our contract with the hotel. If anyone was caught selling items at the event who was not on the permit, we would've been in hot water with the hotel and the township.