Oregons need the following 10 features:

Garmin Oregons', Dakota's, and Colorado's NEED the following features added:

1. File Manager to move pocket queries from back up directories to the GPX file folder. I have almost 40 pocket queries that I work with. Heck, it could also be used to move maps from one directory to another. It is a pain to have to do this with a computer!

2. It needs to have a way of easily resetting the internal geocache database so that it doesn't hang when you add a large amount of new caches.

Edited by jeepdelfuego

1. File Manager to move pocket queries from back up directories to the GPX file folder. I have almost 40 pocket queries that I work with. Heck, it could also be used to move maps from one directory to another. It is a pain to have to do this with a computer!

2. It needs to have a way of easily resetting the internal geocache database so that it doesn't hang when you add a large amount of new caches.

3. Brighter screen.

3. Brighter screen.

4. Better power connector - USB is not up to the task.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

3. Brighter screen.

5. A way to save track on SD

Edited by splashy

3. Brighter screen.

6. The geocaching dashboard needs to work with Waypoints too so it can be used on multi's

3. Brighter screen.

6. The geocaching dashboard needs to work with Waypoints too so it can be used on multi's

7. A way to change coords on a cache so you have all the info right there.

3. Brighter screen.

8. Several hard buttons that can be custom configured.

3. Brighter screen.

9. A way to reset the main odometer without doing a master reset

I want all the features the new Magellan eXplorist 710 has, especially voice turn by turn navigation and voice notes. When you are driving, you see something you want to mark it, one simple press and then by recording voice notes you will remember why you mark it one month later. I'm confused with so many waypoints with only numbers as names, have no idea what they are for.

I want all the features the new Magellan eXplorist 710 has, especially voice turn by turn navigation and voice notes. When you are driving, you see something you want to mark it, one simple press and then by recording voice notes you will remember why you mark it one month later. I'm confused with so many waypoints with only numbers as names, have no idea what they are for.

You do realize you can rename those waypoints, when they're created?

For Colorado - more important - in my opinion:

1. Track management like in Dakota or Oregon.

2. Route Profile like in Dakota or Oregon.

best version, horizontal, with line showing altitude of current track:

altimetrpoz2.jpg

Do something with contrast, remove that dark/blue.

Please don't spoil the present possibility of Colorado to see every point of the route from profile on map. It is not possible on Oregon/Dakota, but it is very usefull.

3. AlphaNumerical screen keyboard like in 60CS(x). Or 3 levels on roller.

Thanks

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0

it does that: "reset trip data"

Nope.

Oregons - doesn't matter which model, they all do it - have two odometers. A 'Trip Odometer' and an 'Odometer'. Resetting the trip data resets the Trip Odometer but not the main Odometer, the only way to reset that is to do a master reset, which also resets any menu customisation etc.

On my 60Cx there is a seperate reset menu item for the main odometer so it can be easily reset independantly of the trip odometer (no point in having two of them if you can't reset them individually), but that never made it across to the Oregons.

:unsure:

Gary

You do realize you can rename those waypoints, when they're created?

I've already said "When you are driving...". Maybe you don't mind fiddling with your gps while driving, I prefer not to do it -- you know the reason. The same reason for voice navigation -- I don't need to keep looking at my GPS screen to see which way and how far ahead I should turn.

If there is voice note (or voice tag, whatever you call it) function, I can mark a waypoint by one simple press and the device can be setup to pop up a voice question "Do you want a voice note for this waypoint?", You say "yes" and go ahead with "This farm building should be great for a sunset shot with fence as leading line" (I'm a photographer, so use this as example). Later when you back home you can check this voice note and know why you mark it. (Or maybe a double press to activate marking waypoint as well as voice tagging.)

Henry

Edited by Henrylw

I've already said "When you are driving...". Maybe you don't mind fiddling with your gps while driving, I prefer not to do it -- you know the reason. The same reason for voice navigation -- I don't need to keep looking at my GPS screen to see which way and how far ahead I should turn.

If there is voice note (or voice tag, whatever you call it) function, I can mark a waypoint by one simple press and the device can be setup to pop up a voice question "Do you want a voice note for this waypoint?", You say "yes" and go ahead with "This farm building should be great for a sunset shot with fence as leading line" (I'm a photographer, so use this as example). Later when you back home you can check this voice note and know why you mark it. (Or maybe a double press to activate marking waypoint as well as voice tagging.)

Henry

Makes sense, but then if you've already got the features on a different brand of gps, why not use that? You suggested "I want all the features the new Magellan eXplorist 710 has"...

Asking Garmin to change the Oregon series this much would kind of make it a different beast. I think the idea of the "Ten Features" thread would be to improve the current model, not make it into something totally different.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
Oregons - doesn't matter which model, they all do it - have two odometers. A 'Trip Odometer' and an 'Odometer'. Resetting the trip data resets the Trip Odometer but not the main Odometer, the only way to reset that is to do a master reset, which also resets any menu customisation etc.

oh ok. i never noticed that field until now, don't have it configured anywhere and don't really see the use of it. but yeah, i can see how being able to reset it would be useful to some.

3. Brighter screen.

7. A way to change coords on a cache so you have all the info right there. - alternatively, have the "active geocache" seperate from the "active waypoint", allowing one to view the geocache infos even when navigating to a different waypoint.

10. Better handling of new waypoints created through waypoint averaging. As it is now, they always get default names and default symbols, requiring one to go back into waypoint manager afterwards to change them.

Edited by dfx

For Colorado - more important - in my opinion:

1. Track management like in Dakota or Oregon.

2. Route Profile like in Dakota or Oregon.

best version, horizontal, with line showing altitude of current track:

altimetrpoz2.jpg

Do something with contrast, remove that dark/blue.

Please don't spoil the present possibility of Colorado to see every point of the route from profile on map. It is not possible on Oregon/Dakota, but it is very usefull.

3. AlphaNumerical screen keyboard like in 60CS(x). Or 3 levels on roller.

Thanks

Christopher

Number 3. is one of life's great mysteries! Never thought the software engineers at Garmin could not find a way to overcome what is probably one of the most important and assumed to be simple changes. It's my opinion that Garmin still has an opportunity for redemption on the Colorado line. The irony would be for the Colorado to become well sought after in the after market.

Dream all you want, but they will never ADD feature to a discontinued model. Think about it from their perspective. Why would you spend development money on a unit that is not being sold?

Not true. Garmin has added new function on obsoleted GPS, but it's correct that Garmin do not normally do this.