I get errors trying to create a route.

antisane

Every time I try to create a route I get a "500 - Internal server error."

It's a bit disappointing that it fails the first time I try (and yes, I tried several times before posting this). It doesn't seem to matter if I try a local/short route (Dover, NH TO Durham, NH) or long route (Dover, NH TO Somerville, ma), every attempt gives me the same error.

What happens is this:

1. I go to http://www.geocaching.com/my/routeedit.aspx

2. I enter the 2 cities/states

3. I click "Save route changes"

4. I click "Ok" on the popup "Are you sure you wish to make these changes?"

5. I get the error.

Hello,

Please add my data to the list of people who have problems with the route plotting.

I also get the 500 server error when trying to save changes to a plotted route.

I have tried on win xp sp3, vista sp2, and osx10.4 somethingorother

Is this a known issue on your side?

Love the site, looking forward to many adventures.

nehlan

Grrr...

Thanks for thespeedy answer and the link to the correct start page.

I'm very excited about getting started.

Just for the record I did start my post before your answer came in, but I got pulled away before I could finish.

Won't happen again. :unsure:

Nehlan

As I browse around the forums, it seems as though many people are having the same sort of problems that I had. It seems that a certain eagerness did us no good. I was able to fully resolve my understanding of pocket queries for caches along a route on a page that I found from a Google search. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, (mods?), so I will offer my search terms instead. "markwell pocket queries for geocaching.com"

From this page I was better able to understand that pocket queries are run on a server and are not delivered instantaneously. This was very important to understand. I was hitting generate, and putting in several different email addresses and not getting anything. I was unnecessarily pounding the server with requests. Not cool. But I didn't know it.

Also, setting the date to run as the current day will have your PQ emailed to you faster as long as it is unique.

Unique requests get priority.

I hope this little bit of information helps clear up a couple of headaches and spats of confusion.

please look up the page I mentioned, it is much more thorough and eloquant than I can be on this topic.

nehlan

I'm trying this evening (after the downtime) and I'm getting "An Error Has Occurred". I hope this gets fixed before tomorrow evening as I have a big trip planned to the US.

Yikes... back to the old way of following a route and clicking on caches (Ontario to Florida was brutal!).

Thanks!

~Annie

:) Tried the work around for route planning, but it seems to be the same way I have always done it. Can get to the very end and press submit when it goes to a new error page with the icons for Groundspeak and a link back to the main page. any new fixes for this?

Are you talking about the route creation itself, or the creation of a Pocket Query from the route? There was an issue right after release where an error would occur when submitting a PQ if you had only a single email associated with your account, but we fixed that right away.

I am currently seeing no issues with route creation itself. Could you be more specific about the steps you are taking so that I can attempt to repro?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the route creation itself, or the creation of a Pocket Query from the route? There was an issue right after release where an error would occur when submitting a PQ if you had only a single email associated with your account, but we fixed that right away.

I am currently seeing no issues with route creation itself. Could you be more specific about the steps you are taking so that I can attempt to repro?

Thanks!

I had issues creating a PQ from a route today. :) Sad face is for the lack of PQ.

** No email, no nothing. Just a weird reroute message (I know better, I should have taken a screen shot.

Edited by MooseJawSpruce

I had issues creating a PQ from a route today. :) Sad face is for the lack of PQ.

Have you tried again since the issue has been fixed? In addition to all of this, we had the servers shut down before the release and there were some issues when they came back up so PQs were not getting sent out. All should be back up and running now.

Have you tried again since the issue has been fixed? In addition to all of this, we had the servers shut down before the release and there were some issues when they came back up so PQs were not getting sent out. All should be back up and running now.

I just tried it again. Still a sad face.

It is a new route and a new PQ. I don't have any PQs that were supposed to run today, so I don't know about that. The route worked and saved but didn't run.

I don't know how to upload a picture without a URL, but I did remember to take a screenshot this time.

Are you talking about your "Park City" PQ? All of the PQs I see in your list - including that one - are scheduled to run on Friday. Today is Wednesday. Did you change the day settings?

I feel silly. It has been a very long work week.... :)

Thanks for pointing out the day of the week to me. :D

getting same error after creating a new route query - then a PQ getting - An Error Has Occurred - then you look at the PQ list and Wed and Thurs is checked to run but is says it has never ran..... not sure if I am doing someting wrong

Thanks

I also get an error when I submit it as a PQ. Also, my existing route PQ gets the same error when I edit it without changing a thing and select Save.

getting same error after creating a new route query - then a PQ getting - An Error Has Occurred - then you look at the PQ list and Wed and Thurs is checked to run but is says it has never ran..... not sure if I am doing someting wrong

Thanks

When I try to "Create a Route" from my Profile page I (and my girlfriend with her account "Samm99") immediately get the error:

Geocaching (icon)

Waymarking (icon)

Wherigo (icon)

An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue.

After re-booting, I'm able to get through the entire process of creating a route and then requesting a pocket query and I click "Submit Information" and now still get the same error...

Still getting the error but we are now getting the Pocket Qweries via e-mail after the error message appears....

When I try to "Create a Route" from my Profile page I (and my girlfriend with her account "Samm99") immediately get the error:

Geocaching (icon)

Waymarking (icon)

Wherigo (icon)

An Error Has Occurred

Your request has resulted in an error. Please return to this site's home page to continue.

That is what I got, but it was pointed out to me that I had the wrong day chosen (well more accuratly I was confused as to the day of the week).

Maybe look at that.

The error is separate from selecting the wrong day; it appears to be related to having only one email address associated with your account (a side-effect of the change to allow multiple validated email addresses for an account). We have a fix underway and hope to have it rolled out to the live site shortly.

The error is separate from selecting the wrong day; it appears to be related to having only one email address associated with your account (a side-effect of the change to allow multiple validated email addresses for an account). We have a fix underway and hope to have it rolled out to the live site shortly.

I have routes setup, 4 validated e-mails, and I get errors when I click on "generate Pocket Query" on any routes from Las Vegas to Groundspeak (3 legs as it's 1100 miles). And yes Jon, I am coming up to see you before I head overseas.

Will you be available for a beer after work Monday?

Edited by Moose Mob

I was able to repro the error and we are on it. It looks like one of yesterday's fixes may have led to the problem.

And yes, MM, I'm available on Monday! :laughing:

Thanks for looking into this, Mr. Bike. I, too, am having the same issues with setting up a PQ. I'll wait patiently until all is resolved.