Hog Weed

Anyone know anything about "Hog Weed"? We are starting to see some scary reports about this plant in Ontario. Apparently it makes poison ivy look downright benign.
I think that's the same stuff that I've heard called "Wild Parsnip". I haven't seen it, nor had contact with it, but I've heard the same thing. It is like getting burned. Apparently it works in conjunction with sunlight, oddly enough. Wikipedia article here

Here's a photo:

Hogweed.jpg

Anyone know anything about "Hog Weed"? We are starting to see some scary reports about this plant in Ontario. Apparently it makes poison ivy look downright benign.

hogweed is harmless, its everywhere you go....giant hogweed is the one that is toxic, i haven't seen a single one yet in all the area we covered in Ontario

there were a lot of warnings about it in the summer of 2009, haven't seen anything updated this year

Edited by t4e

Hogweed is a name assigned to noxious weeds - different weeds in different parts of the world.

I live in Florida now, the "hogweed" here is not toxic, but a fast growing semi-annual weed that overruns pastures.

When I lived in Colorado, an entirely different plant was called hogweed, and yet another in West Virginia.

hogweed is harmless, its everywhere you go....giant hogweed is the one that is toxic, i haven't seen a single one yet in all the area we covered in Ontario

there were a lot of warnings about it in the summer of 2009, haven't seen anything updated this year

Here's some really recent discussion:

http://www.centralontariogeocachers.com/fo...?f=1&t=1557

Do a search for "giant hogweed" on the CBC website...reports of it being in NB, NS, and BC, as well as Ontario.

I understand this stuff is bad to some people. However, it seems to me it is like another poison ivy - people who react to it need to stay away, people who don't don't have to worry about it. I seem to be immune to PI because people with me have gotten it and I haven't, multiple times. It also seems confined to specific areas of the country (and the Ontario area of Canada). Can we leave these repeated threads in those "regional" forums?

Otherwise, we should probably have a poison ivy, oak, and sumac discussion everytime someone gets a rash too.

Just my opinion.

I understand this stuff is bad to some people. However, it seems to me it is like another poison ivy - people who react to it need to stay away, people who don't don't have to worry about it. I seem to be immune to PI because people with me have gotten it and I haven't, multiple times. It also seems confined to specific areas of the country (and the Ontario area of Canada). Can we leave these repeated threads in those "regional" forums?

Otherwise, we should probably have a poison ivy, oak, and sumac discussion everytime someone gets a rash too.

Just my opinion.

Gee, pardon me.

Just my opinion.

Gee, pardon me.

Eh, don't worry about it. He's just trying to add some balance.

We do discuss poison ivy, oak, and sumac so feel free to continue the conversation.

I got my legs scratched up quite badly by stinging nettles a month or so ago. Perhaps I should call CTV in hysterics so they'll run a sensationalist piece about that too.

Or maybe I'll just wear long pants in the woods from now on.

Not even close to the same!! Nettles... meh! Wait 15 minutes. Or, find some jewel weed for quicker relief.

Not even close to the same!! Nettles... meh! Wait 15 minutes. Or, find some jewel weed for quicker relief.

My legs were pretty bad for several days, but maybe I'm just sensitive to nettles.

Jewel weed's efficacy is entirely mythological and/or placebo effect.

I got my legs scratched up quite badly by stinging nettles a month or so ago. Perhaps I should call CTV in hysterics so they'll run a sensationalist piece about that too.

I don't know how long pants would protect you from 7 foot tall stems that could permanently scar you and cause severe blistering and temporary or permanent blindness.

Apples to Oranges...

read this.

Edited by brslk

It is extremely nasty stuff. Hogweed is here on Vancouver Island also, and if its 'sap' is on your fingers and you rub your eyes it can lead to blindness. The was a story on our local TV news this past week about a little girl (about 4 years old) who had come into contact with it, and the marks on her arms were horrendous.

She was interviewed and identified it as "bad hogweed plant." She had to go to the hospital, poor kid....

I hadn't realised how many areas on this continent had hogweed. There is talk here about trying to eradicate it. Give me stinging nettles or poison ivy over that giant hogweed anyday.

.... I hadn't realised how many areas on this continent had hogweed. There is talk here about trying to eradicate it.

How silly is this?

"Although giant hogweed is a pain, it is still being sold in plant nurseries in B.C."(link)

In the UK the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 makes it an offence to plant or cause Giant Hogweed to grow in the wild.

Hogweed is regulated as a federal noxious weed by the U.S. Government, and is therefore illegal to import into the United States or move interstate without a permit from the Department of Agriculture.

you could call them but they will just have a good laugh

in case you didn't know nettles are edible

Last month I saw the most I've ever seen in one spot, the tall plants were along Sixteen Mile Creek in the Oakville area. If you want to have a look drive out to Excalibur GC1VEJQ.

Another place I've spotted them was on the Humber River on the trailhead at Binder Twine Park, Kleinburg. That was back in 2006 when I was looking for Binder Twine Find.

Yes, it was in Oakville, Ontario, where I saw the most hugest Giant Hogweed specimen I've ever seen (near the Ford plant). It was July 2006, and this thing was about 15 feet high. I still have nightmares.

I have seen it in the St. Catharines area, and in Port Dover. The only pic I have of Ontario Giant hogweed (and not a great pic) is in Dunnville in June 2008, as seen below. So it's definitely been around in Ontario for a long time.

c5a1a5f3-702b-45f5-aeb1-816e7e51e6ce.jpg

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel
I have seen it in the St. Catharines area, and in Port Dover. The only pic I have of Ontario Giant hogweed (and not a great pic) is in Dunnville in June 2008, as seen below. So it's definitely been around in Ontario for a long time.

huh. i don't see giant hogweed in the pic. i can see some tall examples of common hogweed though.

My legs were pretty bad for several days, but maybe I'm just sensitive to nettles.

On poison ivy, that is true. On nettles, I find that it is cooling, and hence, makes it feel better. I don't think there is any medicinal effect, though.

huh. i don't see giant hogweed in the pic. i can see some tall examples of common hogweed though.

How do you know from looking at the photo? What's the difference? I hadn't heard of Common Hogweed.

How do you know from looking at the photo? What's the difference? I hadn't heard of Common Hogweed.

they look alike, the difference is that giant hogweed is giant, and common hogweed is common :unsure:

i can't say for sure from the pic alone, but it doesn't look giant to me. common hogweed is usually small but can be up to 1.5 meters or so tall, while giant hogweed can be 2-5+ meters tall.

i've never seen any giant hogweed around here, but common hogweed is all over the place.

What's the difference? I hadn't heard of Common Hogweed.

common hogweed is everywhere you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Hogweed

difference is that the common hogweed is harmless as opposed to the giant hogweed which is toxic

i have a very good feeling that many don't know the difference and get all panicky, i had someone say in a log of one of my caches "and there is hogweed around the cache"....yes, but its the harmless kind

i read some replies to an article about giant hogweed where some woman said she pulled one out of her garden with bare hands, hmmm i don't think so lady you wouldn't be typing

Edited by t4e

difference is that the common hogweed is harmless as opposed to the giant hogweed which is toxic

i have a very good feeling that many don't know the difference and get all panicky, i had someone say in a log of one of my caches "and there is hogweed around the cache"....yes, but its the harmless kind

i read some replies to an article about giant hogweed where some woman said she pulled one out of her garden with bare hands, hmmm i don't think so lady you wouldn't be typing

Thanks for that link. I think this is a good identifier:

Common Hogweed differs from giant hogweed in the absence of bristles on its stem. Rather, it is smooth, akin to bamboo.

I don't know where you two are trying to take this, but this is the first I've ever heard anyone pooh-pooh Giant Hogweed, and say in effect "don't worry, that's just common Hogweed". :unsure:

And looky here. According to an article in the Brantford Newspaper Giant Hogweed is confirmed in Kitchener.

I agree my pic is bad, but cut me some slack, it was taken in Mid June. I mean if I showed you some pics or 4" high young corn plants in mid-June, would you tell me it wasn't corn?

See my photos in the last post of this topic. It was identified by the parks department as poison hemlock (Conium maculatum of Socrates fame). Also an invasive species from Europe, the sap doesn't cause the same burning/scarring as giant hogweed, but it is poisonous to ingest. This is much more common in our area than giant hogweed, which has very large flowers compared to poison hemlock. Poison hemlock grows to about 6 feet tall and is also in the parsley family.

See my photos in the last post of this topic. It was identified by the parks department as poison hemlock (Conium maculatum of Socrates fame). Also an invasive species from Europe, the sap doesn't cause the same burning/scarring as giant hogweed, but it is poisonous to ingest. This is much more common in our area than giant hogweed, which has very large flowers compared to poison hemlock. Poison hemlock grows to about 6 feet tall and is also in the parsley family.

You know, I remember that pic from that thread, and I was heavily leaning towards that not being Giant Hogweed! But since that was the last post, it just sort of drifted off the page.

Hey dfx and t4e, see my picture posted above his in the same thread? Buffalo, NY Park about a month ago. Giant Hogweed or no?

You know, I remember that pic from that thread, and I was heavily leaning towards that not being Giant Hogweed! But since that was the last post, it just sort of drifted off the page.

Hey dfx and t4e, see my picture posted above his in the same thread? Buffalo, NY Park about a month ago. Giant Hogweed or no?

The city said that was not giant hogweed in that park. Me? I ain't taking the chance.

Giant hogwed flowers are very large, up to a foot across. In our area they eradicate giant hogweed, but don't have the manpower to deal with poison hemlock. There were lots of these plants along this particular stream.

Picture link. Edit to add the link is to a picture of giant hogweed.

Edited by Klatch

Haha, like...by the time you find the Jewel Weed, the effects are already waering off?

I don't know where you two are trying to take this, but this is the first I've ever heard anyone pooh-pooh Giant Hogweed, and say in effect "don't worry, that's just common Hogweed". :unsure:

And looky here. According to an article in the Brantford Newspaper Giant Hogweed is confirmed in Kitchener.

I agree my pic is bad, but cut me some slack, it was taken in Mid June. I mean if I showed you some pics or 4" high young corn plants in mid-June, would you tell me it wasn't corn?

wrong, read again, i said learn to differentiate between the two.....there is a huge difference...as the article says the plant can tower up to 5 meters and the leafs can be 1 meter in diameter, that is 16 feet tall and 1 foot in diameter...nothing like that in the picture you posted :(

same as there are plants that look just like poison ivy, yet they are not the real thing

maybe there is, but we haven't seen any of the giant kind yet and we went all over the place and bushwhacked plenty and many times in shorts and short sleeves, the common hogweed heck yeah fields and fields of it in some places looks like it snowed that's how much there is

tell you what, i'll take a picture of the next field of it i see and post it here

Edited by t4e

The city said that was not giant hogweed in that park. Me? I ain't taking the chance.

Bull. It was already over 7 feet tall at that point. It's got the sharp pointed leaves, and the stems had bristles. They can feel free to bury their heads in the sand though.

wrong, read again, i said learn to differentiate between the two.....there is a huge difference...as the article says the plant can tower up to 5 meters and the leafs can be 1 meter in diameter, that is 16 feet tall and 1 foot in diameter...nothing like that in the picture you posted :(

same as there are plants that look just like poison ivy, yet they are not the real thing

maybe there is, but we haven't seen any of the giant kind yet and we went all over the place and bushwhacked plenty and many times in shorts and short sleeves, the common hogweed heck yeah fields and fields of it in some places looks like it snowed that's how much there is

tell you what, i'll take a picture of the next field of it i see and post it here

Yes, please do!!

that is definitely giant hogweed...as i said i have yet to see anything of that size here

the highest i've seen yesterday was 3-4 feet tall with hardly any leafs and in the shape of the parsnip leafs, that is just common hogweed

Did you really think I was serious about contacting CTV about nettles? Sheesh. I guess I need to use more emoticons. :D

Real stinging nettles can be pretty nasty. They contain several noxious compounds that cause burning and itching which can last for several days, depending on the individual.

Stinging nettles can be eaten, provided they are cooked long enough for the heat to break down the chemicals that cause a reaction. The fibre in the stems can also be used to make rope and cloth.

But if you want to go make yourself a fresh salad with it, be my guest. :(

hard to tell from the fuzzy picture, but judging from the shape of the leaves i'd say no, it isn't. then again, if the picture was taken from quite a long distance away, it might be. a close-up of the stem would've been helpful.

btw, nobody's trying to "pooh-pooh" this stuff here. the point is that just because it looks like giant hogweed, doesn't mean that it is. same applies to poison ivy, there's so many look-alike plants out there, it's really hard to tell which is and which isn't. the thing is that people don't even try to distinguish: they see something that looks like giant hogweed or poison ivy, and immediately go berserk and try to tell everyone that they know what they've seen.

of course it's better to avoid the stuff when you're not sure, but don't tell other people that you you've seen giant hogweed or poison ivy there, when you're not really sure yourself. this is especially important when confusing giant hogweed with common hogweed, which is extremely common. you wouldn't be able to go anywhere if you were to avoid anything that looked like hogweed.

Edited by dfx

Did you really think I was serious about contacting CTV about nettles? Sheesh. I guess I need to use more emoticons. :D

Real stinging nettles can be pretty nasty. They contain several noxious compounds that cause burning and itching which can last for several days, depending on the individual.

Stinging nettles can be eaten, provided they are cooked long enough for the heat to break down the chemicals that cause a reaction. The fibre in the stems can also be used to make rope and cloth.

But if you want to go make yourself a fresh salad with it, be my guest. :(

my response was as sarcastic as your was, than again seeing past actions from you i wouldn't be surprised if you did call

actually you don't have to cook the stinging nettles very long at all, all you have to do is dip them in very hot water and cook them as you would spinach

it is also available as a dry leaf for tea

nowhere did i say they can be eaten raw as a salad, but smart *$$ are your specialty

there are no chemicals, the only thing that causes the histamine release, thus producing a burning sensation. is the formic acid...you will not die from it nor will you have any ill effects from it, except the mentioned temporary burning feeling

the stinging nettle has been known for the health benefits for hundreds of years

In Europe, it was used as a spring tonic, a treatment for scurvy, as a diuretic, and a treatment for joint pain. Nettle is rich in Vitamin C and the antioxidants beta-carotene and vitamin E. It is also high in chlorophyll, iron, potassium, magnesium, chromium, and zinc.

Other possible health benefits for nettle include anti-inflammatory effects, relief of benign prostatic hyperplasia and urinary tract infections, and the lowering of blood pressure and blood sugar. Nettle tea also has a mild laxative effect, which could be useful for the treatment of constipation

Edited by t4e