Turn by turn using 62s

budbon

I am camping here in Colorado and have found a couple of caches. My problem: on my 62s the compass pointer points to the destination and gives me an as the crow flies distance. The preloaded map just shows the destination and maybe some roads. Are there any maps I could load that would give turn by turn directions. That would be turn by turn on streets or named forest roads.

I'm sure the principles and maps for other Garmin GPS's would be the same so please, anyone chime in. I would like free maps but will pay if necessary to get a good map or maps.

if you have TOPO installed, it does TURN by TURN.

Only if you have the 24K ones. The TOPO US (100K) doesn't. Personally I bought a CN SD card some time ago for my Oregon and that works great.

i'm using TOPO CANADA and it works when i geocache (turn by turn that is). not VOICE, but prompts and beeps

setup the NAVIGATION METHOD in SETUP>MAP>GUIDANCE TEXT>WHEN NAVIGATING is how mine is set up, then it asks me each time how i want to get there "off road" "on road for time" or "on road for distance"

as you can see, i don't have 24k's installed, just topo canada and TURN BY TURN does work.

http://img638.imageshack.us/g/28578987.png/

Edited by brucered
if you have TOPO installed, it does TURN by TURN.

Only if you have the 24K ones. The TOPO US (100K) doesn't. Personally I bought a CN SD card some time ago for my Oregon and that works great.

There are differences between the Topo and Navigator Maps for navigating. I was using US Topo 24k on my trip to Colorado and noticed that it was giving me all kinds of screwy directions - including taking me to some side streets where I didn't want to go when I was travelling through strange towns. Once I figured out what was going on I switched back to City Navigator and didn't have a problem since.