What does everyone else think?

white_owl

Check out this link and tell me if I'm over-reacting:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/find.asp?A=106882

This user has 33 Travel Bug names registered (most relating to "The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams) but only has 2 bugs realeased.

I can see someone wanting to put a few names on reserve for planned releases but does this seem like abuse? If every user reserved 30 names on a subject that interested him/her just because the name is "cool", there soon wouldn't be any worthwhile names left for those who want to release a bug.

quote:
Originally posted by white_owl:

If every user reserved 30 names on a subject that interested him/her just because the name is "cool"......

There would still be an infinite number of possible bug names.

Nice trolling bait!

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Yeah that makes me mad. NOT. He bought em, he has the right to name em whatever he wants whenever he wants. Like Markwell said, if you want to name your TB the same as something on his TB list, do it. No big deal with having a TB the same name as another.

IMHO

-Lets play global Thermonuclear war-

Ok! So it seems that I was wrong. I consider myself put in my place. icon_eek.gif

I was under the impressions that:

1) A travel bug name could only be used once.

2) This person registered these names before the tags were introduced. (Kinda like when the internet first started and people were registering URL's for free just for the purpose of selling them later. This happened at macdonalds.com for one example.)

If this person indeed has a plan, then we are lucky to have a dedicated user as this to help promote the sport. We all benifit.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Hi,

Wow! I'm the guy that caused all this. Well, I have 108 Travel bug tags. Collectively they are: Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans Travel Bug Army, and one of their main goals is to get on all 7 continents at once. There will be many more goals. I figure that with attrition, I might have a pretty good chance with the 107 that will be released. (actually more; some will be multiples on one tag.)#108 is my personal TB, Snoogatola. They will all be released within the next 10 to 12 months. TB's and the neat out of the way places that caches get hidden are my favorite part of this sport. Hold onto your hat. If I get the corporate backing that I'm seeking; there will be at least 500 more. (Don't hold your breath) (Psst! Jeremy is reading this going Cha-Ching! Cha-Ching!) Just to keep the flames off. This would not be an advertising stunt. It would be a "Sharpen the Saw" exercise for my coworkers. STS is the 7th Habit of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. My company is way into supporting this program & I've been livin it for over a year. Geocaching is even better. I get to STS every day and I've lost 20 lbs. in less than 2 months.

White Hooter: I'm glad you eased up. I would be flattered if you copied any of my TB's or caches. I would be honored if you posted the first Veet Voojagig's Ballpoint Planet Wormhole Cache in Canada. You can copy my text. That last part gave me a warm fuzzy. I wouldn't say dedicated; 9Key coined the term G.A.S. to me at the Texas Challenge. G.A.S.: Geocaching Addiction Syndrome.

I got it baaaaaad!

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

PS- If ya check the Snoogatola TB page; that's not me licking the TB. I have standards and I'm a whole bunch better lookin. icon_wink.gif

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

[This message was edited by Snoogans on April 28, 2003 at 07:02 PM.]