No frills GPSr

Glyn

Hi folks,

I've been geocaching for a while now with a smartphone, and whilst it has all the bells and whistles of brilliant apps, google maps etc, the GPSr just isn't good enough, especially under tree/cloud cover.

I'm looking for a better GPSr - I can still use the smartphone for logs/maps/clues etc, I just need more accuracy, as cheaply as I can.

Bear in mind that I'm in the UK, so compared to the US you can usually add a good 30% to the price, and it's always cloudy.

I'm thinking of an etrex H, but worry that I might be missing other options.

Can anyone recommend me a cheap, accurate, no frills GPSr unit?

Cheers,

Glyn.

etrex H is probably the cheapest option that gives you the bare necessities. not sure if there's anything cheaper out there.

alternative: bluetooth GPS receiver, if supported by your phone.

Edited by dfx

etrex H is probably the cheapest option that gives you the bare necessities. not sure if there's anything cheaper out there.

alternative: bluetooth GPS receiver, if supported by your phone.

Thanks - I don't think the bluetooth ones work very well with my phone. They'll work, but I don't think any apps support them.

Hi there Glyn, another UK cacher! I have the garmin etrexH and along with my Blackberry running the Trimble Geocaching app between them they do everything you could ever need. I didn't find the serial cable being an issue at all as I found a uk ebay seller that does a usb cable for £13.50 and it works faultlessly. If you want anymore info on it feel free to give me a shout!

Cheers folks.

The venture HC certainly has more/better features, but it's almost twice the price of the etrex H, and i've already got maps on the phone.

it's looking like the etrex H, unless anyone knows of anything comparible in price.

Thanks again,

Glyn.