Garmin software for Mac (Oregon 300)

Hi all :blink:

I run all Mac hardware at home and I do my geocaching with a Garmin Oregon 300. I'm really happy with the 300 and my question is about using it on a Mac and transferring .GPX files.

Currently I browse directly to the Oregon and transfer the .GPX files from my pocket queries using Finder. This works fine but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a Garmin Oregon and uses it on OS X - if so, what software do you use to manage your caches?

I've had a look at MacCaching but it doesn't natively support the Oregon series and I've also had a look at GPS Connect and that seems OLD (last update was back in 2006). Route Buddy is $100 ... yeesh!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi all :blink:

I run all Mac hardware at home and I do my geocaching with a Garmin Oregon 300. I'm really happy with the 300 and my question is about using it on a Mac and transferring .GPX files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Garmin's BaseCamp is what I would recommend for an Oregon and a Mac.

Hi all :lol:

Currently I browse directly to the Oregon and transfer the .GPX files from my pocket queries using Finder. This works fine but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a Garmin Oregon and uses it on OS X - if so, what software do you use to manage your caches?

I've had a look at MacCaching but it doesn't natively support the Oregon series and I've also had a look at GPS Connect and that seems OLD (last update was back in 2006). Route Buddy is $100 ... yeesh!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi

I use a Mac running OS X in conjunction with a Dakota 20. With the approriate Garmin software, i.e. their communicator plug in, I can download the cache locations direct to the GPS. An alternative, is to sent the geocaching locations to an application called Basecamp, freely available as a download through the Garmin website, and then with my Dakota 20 plugged into my Mac, transfer the caches from Basecamp to the GPS.

Happy caching!

Bikehog

Hi all :P

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Garmin's BaseCamp is what I would recommend for an Oregon and a Mac.

Thanks. I've got Basecamp now and have used it to create routes but didn't consider using it for Geocaching. Yes, I know a cache is "just" a waypoint but ... yeah. :laughing:

PQ.

Unstuff/unzip PQ.

Place the two files into the GPX folder on the Oregon.

Job done.

I have an Oregon 300 and use Mac OS X. What Bear and Ragged says works very well for me. Keep it simple.

That's what I've been doing up until now and I agree, that approach works very well - especially for me since I like everything to be as minimal as possible.

The point of the topic wasn't so much to replace what I'm doing now (bad choice of words on my part, perhaps) but more to complement it, maybe make things easier for other people in my household who seem to be gagging to switch from Windows to Mac and still be able to go caching.

Hi all :P

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi

I use a Mac running OS X in conjunction with a Dakota 20. With the approriate Garmin software, i.e. their communicator plug in, I can download the cache locations direct to the GPS. An alternative, is to sent the geocaching locations to an application called Basecamp, freely available as a download through the Garmin website, and then with my Dakota 20 plugged into my Mac, transfer the caches from Basecamp to the GPS.

Happy caching!

Bikehog

Great, 3 replies, 2 to use Basecamp. Aside from manually copying/using the Garmin Communicator plugin it seems that Basecamp is a favourite. :laughing:

Thanks everyone!

PQ.

Unstuff/unzip PQ.

Place the two files into the GPX folder on the Oregon.

Job done.

Thanks for the simple answer to what I perceived as a difficult conversion / upload problem! I searched for two hours for this solution. I had it half right - I uploaded the larger of the two .gpx files but - not both. Thanks.