Can't download to my GARMIN

MR57

I hook up USB to my Garmin and try to download my caches to find. Now all of a sudden I try to download from website and it says its successful but it's not on GPS. What's going on? Help

I just tried again. It worked. cache is 2miles away. When I try to download caches in calif 260 miles away doesn't work. Can't I download anything in the world?

Edited by MR57

I hook up USB to my Garmin and try to download my caches to find. Now all of a sudden I try to download from website and it says its successful but it's not on GPS. What's going on? Help

I just tried again. It worked. cache is 2miles away. When I try to download caches in calif 260 miles away doesn't work. Can't I download anything in the world?

After you download them, can you see the GPX files in your Garmin/GPX folder?

Are you downloading them individually or in PQ files?

I download then individually. Then i press find in geocaches and its there. But not now. It works if caches are within 30 miles but doesn't work on longer distances. doesn't make any sense. I'm going to calif tommorw and caches won't load on GPS. I'm confused. I don't know what you mean about Garmin/GPX folder. where is that?

I download then individually. Then i press find in geocaches and its there. But not now. It works if caches are within 30 miles but doesn't work on longer distances. doesn't make any sense. I'm going to calif tommorw and caches won't load on GPS. I'm confused. I don't know what you mean about Garmin/GPX folder. where is that?

Your California caches are probably there...you just need to display them.

I know if it's a 60csx (and possibly on other Garmin GPS receivers) you need to change the preference to alphabetical for displaying geocaches or waypoints or it will simply search for nearest within a defined radius like the 30 miles you mentioned and display only those.

Press the "Find" geocaches button/icon and when the list comes up, hit "Menu" and then change your preference to "Find by Name" for alphabetical listing and you should be able to scroll to any cache you sent to your GPSr.

On the map screen, you can also move your cursor to the area of the cache and it should show up, then hover over it for a few seconds and hit "enter" when the GC cache ID appears.

Edit: changed to "Menu" button and screen terms

Edited by Teach2Learn

When you send the caches to your Oregon, they are stored on the internal memory.

With the Oregon plugged into the computer and in mass storage mode, navigate to your Oregon... My computer/Oregon [mine is the K drive] then open it, then open the Garmin folder, then open the GPX folder. Your caches should be stored here under their GC codes.

Verify that the California caches are there.

Ok thanks I did that change preferences and then moved cursor to calif and i found them. Is there a way of increasing that radius from my home coridinates so I can see all my downloads on my screen regardless of how far away?

I know if it's a 60csx (and possibly on other Garmin GPS receivers) you need to change the preference to alphabetical for finding geocaches or waypoints or it will simply search for nearest within a defined radius like the 30 miles you mentioned. Hit "Find" geocaches and when the list comes up, hit "Menu" and then change your preference. On the map screen, you can also move your cursor to the area of the cache and it should show up, then hover over it and hit "enter" when the GC cache ID appears.

Edit: changed to hit "Menu" button

Ok thanks I did that change preferences and then moved cursor to calif and i found them. Is there a way of increasing that radius from my home coridinates so I can see all my downloads on my screen regardless of how far away?

Good, at least you know the caches are in your GPSr.

The display will work itself out once you're in the area as those will be the nearest caches.

In the meantime, you can always select the out-of-range caches by changing your preference:

--"Find" geocache>>List of caches>>Hit "menu button>>Select "Find by Name"

There could be a way to change the radius of which I'm not aware and somebody might chime in with the answer.

Thank you Teach2Learn it worked alphabetical I can see them all. So I guess when I get to calif and I'm within the 30 mile radius they'll show up together as nearest to my current location. You saved my day. Thanks

Your California caches are probably there...you just need to display them.

I know if it's a 60csx (and possibly on other Garmin GPS receivers) you need to change the preference to alphabetical for displaying geocaches or waypoints or it will simply search for nearest within a defined radius like the 30 miles you mentioned and display only those.

Press the "Find" geocaches button/icon and when the list comes up, hit "Menu" and then change your preference to "Find by Name" for alphabetical listing and you should be able to scroll to any cache you sent to your GPSr.

On the map screen, you can also move your cursor to the area of the cache and it should show up, then hover over it for a few seconds and hit "enter" when the GC cache ID appears.

Edit: changed to "Menu" button and screen terms

Thank you Teach2Learn it worked alphabetical I can see them all. So I guess when I get to calif and I'm within the 30 mile radius they'll show up together as nearest to my current location. You saved my day.

Yes, the nearest caches will show up that way as long as you change your preference back to "Find Nearest" from alphabetical "Find by Name." That's what I did when I was last in LA and cached on Catalina Island a few months ago as well as on many other trips. If you look for other waypoints while there (landmarks, restaurants, etc.), remember to use the cursor on the map to locate them or you'll be limited to the nearby radius.

Glad it worked and that we could help no matter whether it was a 60csx or an Oregon.

Thank you Teach2Learn it worked alphabetical I can see them all. So I guess when I get to calif and I'm within the 30 mile radius they'll show up together as nearest to my current location. You saved my day.

Yes, the nearest caches will show up that way as long as you change your preference back to "Find Nearest" from alphabetical "Find by Name." That's what I did when I was last in LA and cached on Catalina Island a few months ago as well as on many other trips. If you look for other waypoints while there (landmarks, restaurants, etc.), remember to use the cursor on the map to locate them or you'll be limited to the nearby radius.

Glad it worked and that we could help no matter whether it was a 60csx or an Oregon.

Thanks again. I'm off to Calif for fun and geocaching thanks to you guys for your help.