Garmin GPSMAP62s tracklog to MicroSD

I just bought the 62s today. Upgrade from the 60CSx. On the 60CSx I can set it to record data tracks onto the memory card. However I'm unable to locate similar setting on the 62s. It is recording to the device memory only. Is this function not available on the 62s? No manual came with the unit and it's not available for download (yet) at Garmin.

Edited by CxCP

I just bought the 62s today. Upgrade from the 60CSx. On the 60CSx I can set it to record data tracks onto the memory card. However I'm unable to locate similar setting on the 62s. It is recording to the device memory only. Is this function not available on the 62s? No manual came with the unit and it's not available for download (yet) at Garmin.

According to a helpful Chrysalides in a related thread:

When you connect the GPSr to your computer, the manual appears as an external drive as a PDF manual.

If not, you can get it from the FCC site:

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/bl...tive_or_pdf=pdf

Does the 62s ship with a software CD? Did you install the software?

No. It came with the gps, usb cable, Carabiner clip and Quick Start manual in several different languages.

...When you connect the GPSr to your computer, the manual appears as an external drive as a PDF manual...

Thanks Teach2Learn! The PDFs are on the device itself. *smack head* ... I didn't even notice when I was browsing through its content :laughing:

On the OR/DK/GPSMAP 62/78 you can't archive tracklogs to SD card. You can copy them over to the SD card when connected to a computer but all archived tracks are kept in \Garmin\GPX\Archive in internal memory by default. Personally I've never had an issue with this since the new units have quite a bit of free internal memory especially if you put your maps on the SD card.

Personally I've never had an issue with this since the new units have quite a bit of free internal memory especially if you put your maps on the SD card.

There is one downside. The archived file is only created when the active log gets past 10000 points. If you master reset the unit, the active track is lost and you won't have a copy of that data. With the old system, you would have a copy up to the last time the track logging was stopped in the archived files on the card.

The new Oregon x50 firmware allows for daily archiving, which would add some safety. I "assume" this will make it to the 62 series.

Edited by Red90

There is one downside. The archived file is only created when the active log gets past 10000 points. If you master reset the unit, the active track is lost and you won't have a copy of that data. With the old system, you would have a copy up to the last time the track logging was stopped in the archived files on the card.

That kind of sucks. I routinely clear my tracklog, whenever I think I may need it to get back to where I am. And I know I don't have to worry about having a record of where I've been previously, that I can use for geotagging.

That kind of sucks. I routinely clear my tracklog, whenever I think I may need it to get back to where I am. And I know I don't have to worry about having a record of where I've been previously, that I can use for geotagging.

PS, Think about it...you really have the best of both (old & new) worlds. Save it and then clear the tracklog, no lost data when saving. Download whenever you get a chance, then review, delete, re-load, whatever. Now, with 200 tracks, 10,000 points, and ability to archive (those are IN ADDITION to the 200) it's about impossible to lose data.

I map hiking, snowmobile, ATV trails and it's literally been ages since I lost even a single trackpoint that I didn't want to ......and that's with both old (with card) and new systems (logging to memory).

Last data I lost and had to go back and re-do was when the Dummy User (Me) forgot to turn the unit back on after a lunch break......DUH !

CxCP, I just purchased a 62s five days ago. The manual is in the unit. Hook to your computer and go there thru windows explorer. I saved a copy of the PDF file on my computer, printed a hard copy and saved a copy to the flash drive. I'm sure you will not need it much considering your upgrade.

PS, Think about it...you really have the best of both (old & new) worlds.

The downside only occurs if you get a unit lockup that requires a reset. You then lose the active track . The old system kept a continuous backup of the tracklog.

Overall the new system is better, but the continuous archiving was nicer.

Agreed, I've asked Garmin to change the new units to a continuous archiving to prevent/minimize data loss but so far no dice. Maybe once they have the daily/weekly archives fixed they'll consider adding it.

Like Red90 I'm assuming that these changes will make there way back to the 62 (especially since the 62 has a working calendar function).

PS, Think about it...you really have the best of both (old & new) worlds. Save it and then clear the tracklog, no lost data when saving. Download whenever you get a chance, then review, delete, re-load, whatever. Now, with 200 tracks, 10,000 points, and ability to archive (those are IN ADDITION to the 200) it's about impossible to lose data.

Yeah, but I don't want to *save* them as stored tracks, which I will later have to clean up. I just want a record for geotagging. Not the best of both worlds in my book. Expanding the saved tracks, AND having a continuing record of where I've been that doesn't get cleared - now THAT would actually be the best of both worlds.

This is what I got from Garmin support today.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

We will be happy to address this issue today, ...

On the 62 you will save the Track by going to the Main Menu > Track Manager > Save Current Track. As far as we know this is how it will be on this unit and on the 78 series.

If we can be of further assistance please contact us again.

So, no tracklog to MicroSD for 62s.

Edited by CxCP

This is what I got from Garmin support today.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

We will be happy to address this issue today, ...

On the 62 you will save the Track by going to the Main Menu > Track Manager > Save Current Track. As far as we know this is how it will be on this unit and on the 78 series.

If we can be of further assistance please contact us again.

So, no tracklog to MicroSD for 62s.

Okay. I'm a 60csx user, just upgraded to a 62s. (My 60csx was in an accident...so this is a forced upgrade.)

I count on the daily "Log track to Data Card". I retrieve my tracks from here, nicely organized by date (UTC works fine for me). I "wrap when full" and can thus view my most recent & current tracks.

I'm heading on a long--6 week trip without access to a computer to download my tracks. Naturally, unfortunately w/out much test time.

Am I understanding correctly?

1. No "Log track to Data Card" at all, but "archive" is a similar function with no GPX data loss

1a. "Save" will not cause any data loss, (as use to be the case)

2. "Archive" happens automatically when the file reaches 10,000 points. (Hopefully when firmware is out of Beta, Mac users will be able to choose more frequent archive times?)

***Question: Must I "do" anything to ensure this actually happens? Settings anywhere?

3. "Archive" and "Save" make use of the on-board storage (1.7 GB) and this is obviously plenty for a 6 week trip--even capturing points as frequently as possible.

***Question: What might full up this space? (I'll use the SD card for Maps)

Anything else I'm missing that could cause me to loose track points?

Anyone know if this was fixed on the 62?

Hi Red, I can speak for the 62s/62sc. In Setup/Tracks, you can Auto Archive- Daily/Weekly/When Full and the .gpx track logs are saved to internal memory of which there is plenty if this answers your question. If doing a Reset this data is not touched, although the Current.gpx would be lost.