Devices supported by Send to GPS

Does anyone know of a list of GPS units that can use the Send to GPS feature on the geocaching.com website. There are a few obvious ones, but I'm looking for a more complete list. Thanks.

The Delorme PN-40 without the newest firmware update will work. Unfortunatly the new Delorme PN's don't work. Delorme says they are working on it, but it still will be a couple weeks at least until they have a fix for the plug in feature in geocaching.com. I have a brand new PN-60 and I have to download my caches to an sd card in a card reader and then put the card in my gps. Crazy for a new device.

The PN-40 with 2.7 or earlier F/W will work but will only work with IE or an earlier version of firefox. It will not work with 3.6 or later version of firefox. The new 2.8 F/W is not supported yet but really since it is easier to load files it's not that big of deal. I really don't miss it that much.

As far as having to remove your SD card to load caches that's crazy. On the 40 when you hook to the computer it just asks if you want to access the SD card or the internal memory. This is with the 2.8 F/W. So you just choose the SD card and then open windows explorer and drag and drop your PQ/gpx file right into the geocache folder on the SD card. You never have to remove the card doing it like that. I would imagine the 60 would be the same way.

I edited the first line here and removed the not.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

Is there a separate "Geocaches" folder on the new PNs?

Or did you mean "Waypoints"?

Terminology IS important, I'm not being picky, a new user

could get quite perplexed if one casually mixes terms and they

don't recognize, or know enough to know better.

Norm

Is there a separate "Geocaches" folder on the new PNs?

Or did you mean "Waypoints"?

Terminology IS important, I'm not being picky, a new user

could get quite perplexed if one casually mixes terms and they

don't recognize, or know enough to know better.

Norm

Not sure about the 60's but I know with the 40's and the new 2.8F/W there is a separate folder that was made on my SD card for geocaches when I upgraded from the 2.6 F/W to the 2.8 F/W. I would imagine the 60 has the same thing. I just drop a PQ in that folder then use the geocache page on the 40 to load the file and all the geocaches in the PQ are loaded to my 40 with all the pertinent information. The only issue I see is that big PQ's with say 500 or more caches can take a minute or two to load but once loaded they are right there. What's also nice is I can hook my 40 to my computer and delete what I want to off the SD card through WE. I have over 2000 caches on my 40 right now in different files that I just load up when I need them.

Oh yea I got the 2.8 F/W because I had just bought my 40 and I was given the topo 9.0 as a free upgrade.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

Let's keep this on topic! I have a PN-40 and know that it will do the send to GPS. I am trying to discover other devices that also support that feature of the geocaching.com website. When you click Send to GPS you can choose Garmin, DeLorme, or Magellan. I would like to know specifically, which of those devices will work since I'm trying to find a more affordable device as a gift and therefore looking for a more complete list. I would have thought the geocaching.com website would have one, but if so, I was unable to find it.

Edited by lowtone20hz

Let's keep this on topic! I have a PN-40 and know that it will do the send to GPS. I am trying to discover other devices that also support that feature of the geocaching.com website. When you click Send to GPS you can choose Garmin, DeLorme, or Magellan. I would like to know specifically, which of those devices will work since I'm trying to find a more affordable device as a gift and therefore looking for a more complete list. I would have thought the geocaching.com website would have one, but if so, I was unable to find it.

Dakota, and the Oregons work.

Send to GPS works with my Magellan GC (paid US$157 for it.)

Also works with my PN-30 (paid $200 but has been seen for US$175.)

I think the better question is which units have the best paperless features and get their data from PQs, and have complete maps included. Best value choices are those I listed above.

The Delorme PN-40 without the newest firmware update will work. Unfortunatly the new Delorme PN's don't work. Delorme says they are working on it, but it still will be a couple weeks at least until they have a fix for the plug in feature in geocaching.com.

A couple weeks? I"d like to know where you heard that - DeLorme posted on their forums yesterday that they expect it within a week, and that's the first mention of a new Send to GPS plugin they've ever made.

Sorry got side tracked

If you open the "send to GPS" window you will see that it is only for Garmin, delorme and magellan which you know.

Magellan compatible units click here Then look at the tab below and it says compatible units clicking on that will give you their list.

Garmin click here But it really don't give a list. I think though as long as you can connect to a computer with a USB you should be good. I know my NUvi 205w works with it. I would imagine any of the top end GPSr's by garmin would work.

It seems that it also is more about the browser your using too. You have to have a compatible browser for the plug-in.

But if you wait for the 2.8 F/W or buy topo 9.0 for 60$ for the 40 you can fore go all that and just save the gpx file to your computer and drop it in the geocache folder. One more step but works great.

Your best bet would be the magellan GC though or if you can get another 40 or 30 cheap and not uprade to topo 9.0 then you would be good.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo