is your coin collectible

billrwilson & ladybug

This is an option for those people who mint a coin, activate it and maintain ownership but allow it to be collected by others.

ok so i bought some coins. i did not mint them. i activated them but i dont want to send them out in caches i just want to collect and display them or have them just be discoved when i show them to people. should i check collectable or not collectable

Edited by billrwilson

This is an option for those people who mint a coin, activate it and maintain ownership but allow it to be collected by others.

ok so i bought some coins. i did not mint them. i activated them but i dont want to send them out in caches i just want to collect and display them or have them just be discoved when i show them to people. should i check collectable or not collectable

If you intend to collect and display them, I would mark them as collectible.

If you intend to collect and display them, I would mark them as collectible.

Hmmm, I mark all of my coins as non-collectible, whether traveling or in my possession. They're collectible to me but I don't want a cacher thinking that "hey it says collectible, so I guess I can keep it".

IDK, this whole collectible/non-collectible thing has made things more confusing, at least to me, and I've been in the geocoin hobby since early 2005!

IDK, this whole collectible/non-collectible thing has made things more confusing, at least to me, and I've been in the geocoin hobby since early 2005!

Couldn't agree more. I've read through several threads on the topic - and I still have no clue what it all means. I think Groundspeak should have chosen different wording for the options.

Tiki

My understanding is that it was created so it doesn't show in your inventory if you mark it collectible and doesn't get mixed up with trackables you are moving and have in your possession.

It also makes it alot easier for someone that moves thier own trackables from event to event(some move 100's of coins and this saves time as well....)

I could be wrong though...

for what it's worth, the easiest way I have found to move/log a personal collection is to log all your coins into an archived cache, attach a TB or cachekins to a binder and just move the TB to and fro. The only downfall here is the coins don't get milage or show where they have traveled. Most folks that discover them put in their log where they saw them though... much easier to move 3-4 items than several hundred...

Couldn't agree more. I've read through several threads on the topic - and I still have no clue what it all means. I think Groundspeak should have chosen different wording for the options.

Tiki

I think the whole thing was conceived with coins like Moun10bike in mind and others owned by the Frog. If it's collectible you don't have to own it to be able to place it in your online collection.... off your Inventory list. Otherwise leave it alone... if you activate it you own it and you can place it in your collection. If it's collectible anyone with the tracking number can place it in their collection.... pretty dumb since this applies to 99.99% of all coins out there... so don't ever mark it collectible unless your the Frog or Moun10bike. :laughing:

i'm sorry that link didn't clear anything up for me because in practice i find i don't need to mark my coins or bugs as 'collectible' first in order to move them into my 'collection' - the default setting let's me do it anyway.

The way it stands marking things as 'collectible' is really coinfusing because I really don't want another cacher to collect the things in my 'collection'!

So I think it would be simpler to do away with the marking feature and just leave the default option to move anything I own in and out of my 'collection'.

The way it stands marking things as 'collectible' is really coinfusing because I really don't want another cacher to collect the things in my 'collection'!

they can't. you'd have to move the stuff out of your collection first.

yes in practice they can't but in theory it's marked "collect me"! :blink:

It's still a weird situation and I don't suppose it clears up the issue of selling such a 'collectible' coin onto another 'collection' which is the unstated intention if I'm finally getting the drift.

Edited by forthferalz

its got nothing to do with minting the coin, its simply for any trackable you want to keep in your possession and never release them

It's still a weird situation and I don't suppose it clears up the issue of selling such a 'collectible' coin onto another 'collection' which is the unstated intention if I'm finally getting the drift.

where do you see such thing as marked "collect me"?

for any trackable that is in ones collection the only option is to "discover" or post a note

Edited by t4e

i don't see the problem. if you physically have the coin and it's in your collection, then people can discover it and do nothing else with it.

if you physically don't have it, then it's your choice: should people be allowed to collect it (collectible) or not.

if you don't want people to collect it, set it to non-collectible.

if you sold a collectible coin to someone else, they can put it into their collection. if it's not marked as collectible, then they can't, because it's not supposed to be collected.

i honestly can't think of a scenario where any problem would arise.

Edited by dfx

its got nothing to do with minting the coin, its simply for any trackable you want to keep in your possession and never release them

Actually it was to help get coins you had activated and didn't want to release out of your Inventory (and out of unpublished caches). The point of making them collectible or not was to answer the dilemma posed by coins owned by others that were allowed to be collected by those who didn't own them..... like Moun10bike coins or some Lackeys or a couple of others I can't think of at the moment.

Who else wants to own a coin that is to be collected by others??? 99% of coin owners are flumoxed by this.

Edited by Droo