attention geocachers in the Youngstown Ohio area!

I am writing this as a courtesy to you geocachers. I'm not trying to be mean or <potty language removed>. But, you can't leave caches at the Southern Park mall. The Southern Park mall is located in Boardman Ohio on the corner of 224 and route 7 (Market st.). In the past we have found caches left on our property and have had no way to get in contact with their owner. Until now. We found 2 caches on our property this week with this address on them. One is a green hide-a-key, and a large pill bottle. if you want them back. inquire at the mall ether find a guard, guest services, or call. if any more caches are still left on property please remove them. if any more are found by us they will be taken.

like I said be for I'm not trying to be mean or <potty language removed>. I didn't have to post this. we could have just kept on taking them with out you knowing. so I hope there are no hard feelings.

thank you

sincerely,

Southern Park mall security

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Using the word "<potty language removed>" doesnt go with your profession. You come across like a sock puppet accounts. No hard feeling.

I'm calling BS on this too. There are two caches listed on the site of the mall. One placed in 2007 and the other in 2008. If Dick Tracy was doing his job rather than hitting on the chick working at Orange Julius, these would have been gone years ago. :laughing:

Hey socket puppet mall cop- just remember when you place a cache under your real username to get explicit written permission from the property manager.

Otherwise local cachers may inform the reviewer that when you forced the archival of caches, you stated "if any more caches are still left on property please remove them. if any more are found by us they will be taken"

your right. we don't own the property. we are told by the property owners what is allowed and what isn't. geocaching falls under the same thing as a scavenger hunt.

I don't understand what the problem is here. I was trying to be nice to you guys by informing you of the malls policy on this. I'm sure you guys don't want to go looking for a cache that has been removed.

and yes you do need permission from the mall to place a cache on mall property. which hasn't been, nor ever will be granted.

Edited by Mallsecurity

your right. we don't own the property. we are told by the property owners what is allowed and what isn't. geocaching falls under the same thing as a scavenger hunt.

I don't don't understand what the proplem is here. I was trying to be nice to you guys by informing you of the malls polocy on this. I'm sure you guys don't want to go looking for a cach that has been removed.

and yes you do need permission from the mall to place a cach on mall property. which hasn't been, nor ever will be granted.

So contact Groundspeak and ask them to have the caches removed. Include your contact information and be done with it. Posting on a forum only invites speculation and ridicule.

I don't don't understand what the proplem is here. I was trying to be nice to you guys by informing you of the malls polocy on this. I'm sure you guys don't want to go looking for a cach that has been removed.

and yes you do need permission from the mall to place a cach on mall property. which hasn't been, nor ever will be granted.

So contact Groundspeak and ask them to have the caches removed. Include your contact information and be done with it. Posting on a forum only invites speculation and ridicule.

No kidding! :laughing:

On the chance that the OP is legit:

Although the correct course of action would have been to contact Groundspeak directly, and despite the ridicule you've gotten by other members of this forum, some of us do appreciate your attempts to reach out to the community about this issue instead of doing something more rash and unfriendly like calling the police.

So thanks for letting us know of the issue. Hopefully this will be a call for all cachers to seek permission from property owners before placing their caches (especially at the mall in question :laughing:

Cheers

people often think that all security guards are <potty language removed> on a power trip. pretending to be real cops or some such. I wrote this message to show you that that is not necessarily true.

Assuming you're not a sock puppet you have no reason to apologize. There are guidelines about placing caches on private property and apparently there are a few geocachers in your area that chose to ignore those guidelines. At the bottom of the cache page listing for the two caches located on mall property (one was placed in 2007) you can view all logs and the first entry (the one at the bottom) will be for the local geocache reviewer. You can click on that persons name (skeetsurfer) and send them email to inform them that caches are not allowed on mall property. That should prevent any future caches (at least those published on the geocaching.com site) from being placed there.

A mall security office contact name and number sent to contact@Groundspeak.com to verify that the poster is in fact related to the mall in question would go a long way to ensuring that this mall is marked by our Reviewers as off limits.

On the other hand the vast majority of the several thousand other caches at malls don't have permission either! :laughing:

On the chance that the OP is legit:

Although the correct course of action would have been to contact Groundspeak directly, and despite the ridicule you've gotten by other members of this forum, some of us do appreciate your attempts to reach out to the community about this issue instead of doing something more rash and unfriendly like calling the police.

So thanks for letting us know of the issue. Hopefully this will be a call for all cachers to seek permission from property owners before placing their caches (especially at the mall in question :laughing:

Cheers

As I suggested, contacting the reviewer listed as the first log entry on the two caches would probably be the best course of action. That reviewer can archive the listings, and would know not to publish any future caches at the location. The OP may or not by legit, but it was pretty easy to identify the two caches and the mall where they were placed. One of them has had a recent series of DNFs so they may very well have been taken by mall security.

For those chastising the OP for reporting caches that are placed on property he/she does not own, the guidelines talk about the "land owner or land manager". In this case, the mall security was hired to manage the security of the property, and enforce regulations stipulated by the property owner. Mall security is likely going to be the first point of contact for any issues (i.e. a shopper sees a geocacher searching for the cache and deems it to be suspicious behavior) related to the caches. I can't think of anyone more appropriate to address issues about geocaches on the property and anyone considering placing a cache on mall property anywhere else in the world should probably contact mall security first about obtaining permission.

For a minute forget about the rules that geocaching has for us geocachers.

I don't know if the OP is a really is employed by the Mall as a Security gaurd or not. Frankly I could care less if he is or if he isn't.

HOWEVER... lets keep this in mind about Mall Security...

They are employed to keep things in order around the mall & on mall property. They are in effect the "LEGAL" voice in security form of the owners of the Mall. Unless instructed otherwise, they can if they desire REMOVE any cache found on their property and do with as they please. They (the mall security) are NOT required to notify the cache owner, or geocaching.com.

Some malls one that I know of in particular here in the Dallas, Texas area has specifically told their mall security that Geocaches are allowed on the property, That if they find one they are to leave it alone. Other malls & their security gaurds have no idea about geocaching, caches & sometimes remove them.

So my adivce is this. If you place a cache as the mall that the OP is referring to in question, without their approval, then DON'T be surprised if it goes missing.

We as geocachers should always get permission to put a cache on property that does not belong to us. If we do, place a cache without permission, then you should expect your cache to eventually possibly get removed with or even without geocaching.com or you being informed. It may last for years, but you never know.

TGC