What's in your cache bag?

Becia

Howdy all!

I'm a newbie, just really getting started caching after some prodding from friends. I've realized how fun it is, been to new places I never knew existed, and everyday can't wait to do more (although that thing called work does get in the way!).

My question is what do you take when you're out caching? I'm in the process of creating my "Geo-Cache Bag", including my logbooks (I carry a notepad with me, for notes, etc), my blackberry (I use CacheSense, no GPSr yet, but soon), hiking sticks, water, bug spray, anything else I might need for the trek out (trinkets, pens, camera, etc).

Is there anything particular you like to have handy?

I carry a back pack w/ one of these in it:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/product...PRODID=prd49338

In the top one we carry our notebook, a bag of quarters for parking, pens and pencils and important stuff we need. The 2nd one is full of swag...to the brim. The third one if for tools and such. Gloves, flashlight, compass, first aid kit, batteries. We constantly add things. We also carry a camera of course to document everything we do.

In the car we put a small step ladder that we have had to use already, and a fold up extended reach grabber.

You already mentioned a hiking stick. Add a metal tip (steel) and it makes a great tool for reaching higher up magnetic caches. Use the same thing for placing them back up. :laughing:

For longer trips/hikes:

good magnetic compass & LOTS of spare batteries (blister-packs that re-close);

fire-starting materials are good (something that doesn't require matches/lighter and works while wet -- just in case);

baggies (heavy freezer bags are best -- no zipper-tops);

tweezers (long pointy ones like surgicals) are invaluable at times;

heavier cord (25' is good);

retractable measuring tape for those EarthCaches that require measurements, etc.;

paper surgical tape;

small dental mirror -- tape to walking or other stick w/surgical tape;

flexible mechanic's grabbing tool;

small to medium first-aid kit;

small-ish backpack to hold it all and more and a place to put your geocaching patch; :laughing:

chewing gum (bubble gum is best) -- can use as a retrieval tool w/cord or stick;

Did I say LOTS of batteries?

Don't forget -- LOTS of batteries :laughing:

I have only tried finding ~5 caches, but after my first one I realized that carrying just a GPSr wasn't going to work.

Currently I have a folder with printouts of my cache hit list.

A can of bug spray

a boonie cap

my camera

an inhaler (sad face is sad)

Swag

a pencil and sharpener

pen

water

QR Codes (have my real name, geocaching.com name, and a link to my profile embedded in them)

I try to keep my pack as light weight as possible.

Things I'll be adding soon

gloves --> these things are necessary

first aid kit

dry socks

Things I would like to add eventually

small cheap netbook (for updating and logging while on the road)

more swag, always more swag.

Edited by bfdhud

Depending on the situation, I'll have some of the following on my person.

• Fisher Space Pen, for signing on anything
  • Pocket knife with scissors & tweezers
  • Big, scary knife
  • Extendable inspection mirror
  • Compact High-powered LED flashlight
  • Rubberized fishing gloves (for digging around in bushes and trees)
  • Palm Centro, running Plucker for cache info, plus browser
  • Foldable pruning shears/multi-tool, for thorny-vine extrication
  • Stainless steel water bottle in insulated holder with shoulder strap
  • Trekking pole
  • Digital camera
  • Trail Cards

Edited by Prime Suspect

Camera

spair batteries

leatherman (fake)

Magnet on stick

Emergency replacement log book (printed from geocacher-U)

Laminated Geocaching brocher (printed form Geocacher-U)

bunch of ikea pencils

pen

Flashlight (2D cell MagLED)

Bug Spray

Water

Granola bars

spare Jacket

Travel bugs

work gloves

giant screwdriver (for finding burried benchmarks)

Compass (for finding burried benchmarks)

Hunting knife (for hiking in the back country, it usualy sits on the bottom of my bag)

Edit: this should be a sticky!

Edited by Andronicus

Wow! I'm really impressed. I guess you are all veteran geocachers. I'm just a beginner and have no idea what some of those items are for. :laughing: I think I'm scared now. I just want to walk around and look at my gps and when it says I'm there, look down and see the cache. I guess I'm living in a dream world. Maybe I should just stick to level one and two difficulty caches.

Edited by Kelochka

On long bike ride caching circuits I bring:

-Lots and lots of water

-Swag

-Baggies

-Replacement Logs (Small, micro, nano)

-replacement cache (you never know)

-Towel

-Snacks

-Lots of batteries

-Cellphone which doubles as my camera

-Pen

-Sharpie marker

-Printed out satellite map(s) of the area I'm doing with cache overlay

-Geocoins/Travelbugs

-An LED headlamp

-Athletic tape, which doubles as ToTT creation tape, or "please stop bleeding" tape.

-A glue/adhesive.

-Big knife

I'd like to add

-Bug Spray

-First Aid Kit

-Machete

It would also be nice to carry around some thick coveralls for spur of the moment forest/weed adventures.

Wow! I'm really impressed. I guess you are all veteran geocachers. I'm just a beginner and have no idea what some of those items are for. :laughing: I think I'm scared now. I just want to walk around and look at my gps and when it says I'm there, look down and see the cache. I guess I'm living in a dream world. Maybe I should just stick to level one and two difficulty caches.

Don't think like that. Just keep adding to your gear as you realize you wish you had something with you. When doing Urban caches, I usualy don't have my bag with me, it is usualy in the car. So it is not like you have to pack it around all the time.

Then there is a whole other list when I am doing a significant hike/climb cache.

Food

Home Made First Aid Kit

sweater

extra socks

Cache to place on the top of the mountain

also remove some of the stuff to keep my bag reasonable

We have only been doing this for 3 weeks or so. After every trip we add more stuff to the box when we think about it. I hope it doesnt continue at this pace, or I will be carrying a tool box around!

If I'm doing urban or suburban caching, all I carry are my GPS, camera, some swag and maybe insect repellent.

If I'm doing hiking caches, here is what comes along (well I don't use the PDA anymore now that I have a paperless unit):

26f969a4-ed83-480a-810a-da08d1fccffd.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I have a small pouch that I hook to a belt loop. The GPSr fits into it. The GPSr has a tether that is attached to another belt loop with a caribiner. Just in case it wants to fall out when I'm up a tree or jumping across a stream. On the outside of the pouch is a small pocket I have two cigar tubes. One carries my pen and the other has spare batteries. This is what I have on me every time I go caching.

On longer hikes: Water, skeeter spray, gloves, snacks, TP.

I carry a camera but it is on my belt. I also wear snake guards on my lower legs. I had a pygmy rattler bite me on the boot once.

I have two bags now.

For city-park type areas, a small fanny bag with

camera

extra baggies and log sheets

golf pencils

mechanical pencils

a few little toys and keychains for trade

"classic" swiss army knife

LED flashlight (3AAA)

small insect spray

pen, gps and phone in my pockets

For slightly longer walks in forested areas I have a small messenger bag, to the above list, I add -

work gloves

better flashlight

emergency rain poncho

small baggie of first aid supplies

tweezers

extra GPS

more swag

"tinker" swiss army knife

water bottle clipped to my belt

Everyone appears to be going overboard. You only need 1 item, a towel!!

A towel, is about the most massively useful thing a geocacher can have.

But seriously, a lot of good ideas here. I need to add to my bag (but I already have a towel :blink: )

A tick removal. I originally got 'em to remove ticks off my dogs, but I've used it twice on myself. I have the Tick Twister, but any brand should do. Don't spend more than five bucks. I've had the same plastic one for four years; so, don't get suckered into buying the more expensive metal ones.

turn-otom-tick-twister.jpg

most respondents carry far more than I do even on ling hikes. I have a large fanny pack that has been converted to a shoulder bag I carry bandoleir style. Eagle creek if i recall. It goes with me on most trips and contains:

swag

2 spare sets of rechargable batteries

12"x12" rag

log roller

cache repair kit

GPSr

PDA

notebook

pen

flashlight

on hikes I add a couple bottles of water and perhaps a sandwich. I flyregularly and try to keep the pack sleek.

It depends on where we're going. General caching I have a bag with the GPS, batteries, camera, compact mirror, our log stickers, lots of pens, some small trade items, a mini tripod, and sometimes a ziploc bag with tylenol, hand sanitizer, a swiss army knife and a trash bag roll.

If we're going hiking I usually ditch the general bag and grab my backpack taking pretty much the same things, but adding water, my hiking stick, a hat, bug spray & sunscreen, small food items. As long as the bag isn't too heavy that's pretty well it.

im in the uk and my bag contains:

first aid kit (with antihistamine cream for bee/wasp stings).

torch and spare batteries for it

gps and spare batteries.

pens and notepad

bottles of water

map

sunglasses

waterproof jacket

some snacks inc boiled sweets for any sugar drops.

hand sanitiser

extendable magnetic pole

mirror

I think these things have to grow organically. There are things that I absolutely will not go hiking without like a flashlight, flint, water filter...

The thing is, people can make suggestions but you kind of have to figure it out for yourself. Most people probably don't carry flint, but when I was 16 my best friend and I were hiking in a gorge near where we grew up. It started raining and she sprained her ankle when she slipped in the mud. We ended up spending the night in a cavern. Because I had flint, we had a fire. But that's just me.

I carry a back pack that has all my geocache stuff in it as well as all the geocache stuff that my three kids need. I'll modify the contents per the terrain we are going into. We don't do big hikes because they're just not up for it yet. Mandatory items for me are water, first aid kit, smartphone, GPSr, swag, pen, paper, extra logs, bags and sometimes even a cache container. One thing though that I do carry that most don't is my firearm. I realize this is out of the ordinary in this community (or most).

Nice thread. It's always nice to get new ideas for what to take or not...Question for those that take camera's anyone taking a dSLR camera with them. I know they are bigger than the small digitals, but when you get the opportunity for those long shots (scenic overlooks, etc) they are nice...how do you carry them? :P

Edited by Running Crazy

I wear a Camelback transformer with a 102oz bladder in it which helps on those long bike rides / hikes.

Carabiners with my Magellan eXplorist GC hanging on the front.

Inside:

Zombie Horde cards

tons of swag for caches

bison tubes and nano's

multitool

extra pocket knife

flashlight

pens / markers

First Aid Kit

Sting kit

Snake bite kit

Bug spray

Spare batteries

duct tape

electrical tape

Both my daughters (7 & 9) carry the same. Well... in their backpacks they mostly have swag.

The others in our caching group carry the same as I do.

Nice thread. It's always nice to get new ideas for what to take or not...Question for those that take camera's anyone taking a dSLR camera with them. I know they are bigger than the small digitals, but when you get the opportunity for those long shots (scenic overlooks, etc) they are nice...how do you carry them? :P

Unless I am in an extraordinarily beautiful place I don't carry mine. I will carry my point and shoot. But when i do carry it, I will put the back pack on first and then sling the camera over my shoulder

I am just getting into geocaching and am adding items to my backpack every day, lol. Here's what I carry with me when I cache, either in my backpack or in one of my pants pockets:

-GPSr, cell phone, compact point n shoot camera

-Digital voice recorder for taking audio notes while I cache (what I took/left, etc)

-Small bright flashlight

-Extra rechargable batteries

-Small road atlas book, just in case

-Clipboard with blank paper

-Pens, pencils, pencil sharpener

-Small pair of scissors, pocket knife, lighter, small first aid kit

-A couple cheap towels to wipe my hands off if they get dirty/wet

-Bags to CITO

-Some small freezer bags and extra log books for cache repair

-A couple bottles of water, I usually drink at least one during a hunt in the woods

-Tons of swag of different sizes, my TBs, and signature items to leave

Nice thread. It's always nice to get new ideas for what to take or not...Question for those that take camera's anyone taking a dSLR camera with them. I know they are bigger than the small digitals, but when you get the opportunity for those long shots (scenic overlooks, etc) they are nice...how do you carry them? :anibad:

I take my good dslr camera with me in the car, but I don't take it to go hiking for caches. I like to bring it just in case I'm in a nice area, but I would never cache with it. It's too heavy and expensive! I've broken one compact camera already during the hunt, and that's enough for me! :cry:

My daughter and I have not been geocachers for long - but we've got a small tackle box where we keep our items as well as a shoulder bag that keeps some of our extra items. I've not noticed anyone else commenting that they use one but the compartments in the tackle box seem to work well for sorting out trinkets and everything is easy to find so it's working quite well for us so far!