Just a Suggestion

RocketMan

The "About Geocaching" page on this website has some great "Geocaching Guides" on finding and hiding geocaches, but I can't find anything similar for the use of the Travel Bug.

I see recurring questions on this forum that could easily be answered by a basic guide to the use of the T-Bug. I was able to fumble around and figure out the fine points of the T-Bug on my own, but a guide would have made life a lot easier. I think that many Newbie mistakes could also be avoided if a T-Bug guide was available.

It would be nice to have a link to the guide at the top of the travel bug page. The guide could include:

-Bug Activation Procedure

-Placing the Bug in a Cache

-Placing the Bug in a New Cache (Your Own)

-Transferring the T-Bug to Someone Else

-How to Post a Picture w/the T-Bug and Have it Show up in the Gallery

-How to Show That the T-Bug was Retrieved from a Cache

-T-Bug Etiquette (e.g. – Don’t Post or Show the T-Bug Code)

I’m sure that one of the experienced geocachers out there (including myself) would be willing to create a draft of the guide.

Thanks – Rocket Man

[This message was edited by Rocket Man on September 03, 2002 at 09:46 PM.]

You have some good T-Bug information on your website Markwell. And you do address some of the topics that I listed in my original post. I have actually visited your site previously.

I still think it would be a good idea if there were a T-Bug user guide that could be accessed from the geocaching.com T-Bug page.

Rocket Man

I have a suggestion. Maybe it would help people to remember to log that they left a TB if the drop down inventory was before the comments rather than afterwards. It seems like maybe TB's are being left in caches and not being marked as such. They are mentioned in the notes but the person who left it never takes it out of their inventory and the "bug" icon doesn't show up on the cache list. Maybe there's a reason people do this? Some sort of strategy? I think those who have released the bug would like to know where there bug is at all times. I know I would. I'm new here so maybe I don't know all the ins and outs but I think that should be added to any TB instructions and that the format of the cache log could use a change.

I have to agree on this one. I've ordered tags and will be setting a TB loose quite soon. I tried looking for info on what I need to do to activate it and have it entered into the system once my tags arrive. I couldn't find that info in the FAQ's; and even looked in Markwell's, having found that a great source of info when I was first starting out. I didn't post the obvious question yet, assuming that when I get my tags, it will have all the necessary info. I figure it can't be too tough to do, but with a relatively brief look, I couldn't find the info on starting a TB; just on how to log a find and place. Links would be nice.

When you receive your bug, there's an activation code and instructions on how to activate the bug.

From there, the bug is listed "in the hands of the owner GoPherStash" or whoever. You as the bug owner can then edit the page to your hearts content.

When you really start the bug off in a cache, it's just as if you had found the bug in a previous cache - you post a "note" or a "found it" log on the cache that the bug is in, and use the drop down from your inventory.

It really is that simple. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

When you receive your bug, there's an activation code and instructions on how to activate the bug.

From there, the bug is listed "in the hands of the owner GoPherStash" or whoever. You as the bug owner can then edit the page to your hearts content.

When you really start the bug off in a cache, it's just as if you had found the bug in a previous cache - you post a "note" or a "found it" log on the cache that the bug is in, and use the drop down from your inventory.

It really is that simple. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching