FaceBook

I seen an application on Facebook that said it would place a cache counter on your profile but unfourtunately it doesnt work. It would also be nice to see your finds posted on your wall automatically including milestones. If they can get Farmville to post useless updates every 2 minutes you would think someone cold get something like this to work for us. :laughing:

I seen an application on Facebook that said it would place a cache counter on your profile but unfourtunately it doesnt work. It would also be nice to see your finds posted on your wall automatically including milestones. If they can get Farmville to post useless updates every 2 minutes you would think someone cold get something like this to work for us. :laughing:

works on mine.... http://www.facebook.com/frank.wester

Post the link, i do not seed any geocache application on Faceboook

Edited by The Bakkers

Post the link, i do not seed any geocache application on Faceboook

link

works on mine.... http://www.facebook.com/frank.wester

I can't see you FB account but this is a know proplem with the app.

I dont like to go about this wrong but face bo0k sucks!!! i dont post nomore than i have to on face book so many hackers and they use your info to use against you or miss use it how ever they wish,just like your birthdate on facebook they can find your social security number from your birthday so you been WARNED!!!

Works just fine on my Facebook... as for getting 'hacked' on Facebook. One needs to just be careful what they click on, who they friend, and what games and other apps they use. If you are careful and cautious, you have an extremely small chance of anything happening. Just like getting viruses. I've never gotten a virus once since starting to use computers in 1995, and I don't even have antivirus software. I'm just careful.

i dont post nomore than i have to on face book so many hackers and they use your info to use against you or miss use it how ever they wish,just like your birthdate on facebook they can find your social security number from your birthday so you been WARNED!!!

:laughing:

Apps can only scrape what data you put on there. Your posting frequency is irrelevant, so posting "nomore than i have to" is no more or less dangerous that never posting or posting updates every 10 seconds.

You can't determine a person's Social Security number from their date of birth.

I've never gotten a virus once since starting to use computers in 1995, and I don't even have antivirus software. I'm just careful.

If you don't have anti-virus software on your PC, how would you know you don't have a virus...? There are plenty of viruses that don't make a big show of what they are doing to your system.

I have several friends who use this application and it shows up on their profile without problems. As for posting your recent finds on your wall, I believe that would involve some form of cooperation on Groundspeak's part. I'm not aware of any application that does that.

If you don't have anti-virus software on your PC, how would you know you don't have a virus...? There are plenty of viruses that don't make a big show of what they are doing to your system.

Because, ahem, <smug>neither my Mac nor my Linux box get viruses</smug> :laughing:

*DavidMac does a backflip onto his motorcycle, pops a wheelie, and speeds off leaving a cloud of dust in his wake*

... just like your birthdate on facebook they can find your social security number from your birthday so you been WARNED!!!

OK, I'll bite. I've seen this myth floating around for years.

I was born on July 21, 1949. Now, what's my Social Security Number?

--Larry

"A lie will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon, April 1, 1855

... just like your birthdate on facebook they can find your social security number from your birthday so you been WARNED!!!

OK, I'll bite. I've seen this myth floating around for years.

I was born on July 21, 1949. Now, what's my Social Security Number?

--Larry

1949?? Well that shouldn't be too hard. They were four digits back then, right? :laughing:

Because, ahem, <smug>neither my Mac nor my Linux box get viruses</smug> :laughing:

Call me when I can play my games on your Mac/Linux box. :laughing:

I also am a Mac man. I have a 360, PS3 and Wii to play games on. There are to many cheaters and Hackers on PC online games. Not to mention my 2 1/2 year old Mac is as fast as the day I bought it and I have never installed any system robbing virus, malware or spyware programs.

Call me when you get done running your 2nd virus scan of the day. :laughing:

Wow, this thread changed directions... LOL

I don't know about that one, but this one is working fine for me.

How did you get it to post on your profile? Mine wont? I have see that some users were able to get it to work properly but somewhere the buttom to add it to your profile disappeared and the creater has not fixed it.

Well it's certainly possible that it was broken at some point. I added it back in November or December, assumably when it was working correctly.

Perhaps you can go to (in Facebook) Account >> Application Settings, then next to Geocaching Stats press Edit Settings. On the Profile tab is a setting for Box: maybe you can add it that way.

Works just fine on my Facebook... as for getting 'hacked' on Facebook. One needs to just be careful what they click on, who they friend, and what games and other apps they use. If you are careful and cautious, you have an extremely small chance of anything happening. Just like getting viruses. I've never gotten a virus once since starting to use computers in 1995, and I don't even have antivirus software. I'm just careful.

I help out with a website. It was hacked and I found out with Google Safe Browsing. Another friend didn't find out until after the fact and we spent hours removing it.

It is a museum website and you didn't have to click on anything, just go onto the page. It was a spyware program that was written into the orginal HTML as an invisible frame.

If you don't have anti-virus/anti spyware, your computer might be infected and you may be sending out information without knowing it.

As for the ap, I will have to check it out.

I dont like to go about this wrong but face bo0k sucks!!! i dont post nomore than i have to on face book so many hackers and they use your info to use against you or miss use it how ever they wish,just like your birthdate on facebook they can find your social security number from your birthday so you been WARNED!!!

OMG! The sky is falling!! :laughing:

Edited by 9Key

I also am a Mac man. I have a 360, PS3 and Wii to play games on. There are to many cheaters and Hackers on PC online games. Not to mention my 2 1/2 year old Mac is as fast as the day I bought it and I have never installed any system robbing virus, malware or spyware programs.

I've never understood the "one box for games, one box for email/internet" thought process- having said that there is a Wii in the house for the games that aren't released across multiple platforms. There are cheaters and hackers on X-Box and PS3 online games too. There are also systems admins that boot PC game cheaters, just like there are for console on-line cheaters. You can lose your WoW account just like you can have your Live account banned for cheating. The on-line environments for PC vs consoles are almost identical with most of the recent releases.

I haven't seen a virus in this house since 1998. I think it's more about user demographics and surfing habits than anything else. My father-in-law always gets malware on his PC after a visit from his wife's grand-kids. I recently worked on a PC for a friend with a pre-teen-aged daughter that had been "watching movies on-line" and I found 40+ infections of some kind of malware or another. Worked on a friend of my dad's PC and found the same. Both systems had no protection what-so-ever and had a handful of different Trojan infections that were opening the gates to let in all sorts of fun stuff.

My 1.5 year old hardware is just as fast as the day I bought it too. Time for a mobo and video upgrade!

Viruses are more prevalent on Windows for one reason and one reason alone- market share. Don't kid yourself.

I've never understood the "one box for games, one box for email/internet" thought process- having said that there is a Wii in the house for the games that aren't released across multiple platforms. There are cheaters and hackers on X-Box and PS3 online games too. There are also systems admins that boot PC game cheaters, just like there are for console on-line cheaters. You can lose your WoW account just like you can have your Live account banned for cheating. The on-line environments for PC vs consoles are almost identical with most of the recent releases.

I haven't seen a virus in this house since 1998. I think it's more about user demographics and surfing habits than anything else. My father-in-law always gets malware on his PC after a visit from his wife's grand-kids. I recently worked on a PC for a friend with a pre-teen-aged daughter that had been "watching movies on-line" and I found 40+ infections of some kind of malware or another. Worked on a friend of my dad's PC and found the same. Both systems had no protection what-so-ever and had a handful of different Trojan infections that were opening the gates to let in all sorts of fun stuff.

My 1.5 year old hardware is just as fast as the day I bought it too. Time for a mobo and video upgrade!

Viruses are more prevalent on Windows for one reason and one reason alone- market share. Don't kid yourself.

I'm not even going to entertain this anymore because this argument never goes anywhere. I like Macs, you like PC's. I can talk about 1,000's of reasons why I like Macs and you could do the same for windows. Whatever....

There are cheaters and hackers on X-Box and PS3 online games too.

I also play Live and PSN and the only cheaters I have encountered are people dropping out before the end of a game. I have seen no mods or hacks.

When I was online with the PC (yes I was once a Windows Fan) I played Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Warcraft and Nascar (Seirra). I always ran across guys with mods and hacks. That is why I no longer play. What fun is it if you cheat. Just like those people who Log caches they never found. Whats the point? Its about accomplishments not if you can cheat better then your opponents.

Sorry, stepping down off my soap box. Like I said, there is never a winner in this argument.

Edited by Dorothy_&_Tin_Man

I dont like to go about this wrong but face bo0k sucks!!!

Amen!

If your not into Social networking I can understand that. I don't mind it. I talk to a great many Friends I wouldn't otherwise talk to. I know it's not for everyone.... But for the people who do like it, it would be nice to have a working banner. Thats all. :laughing:

If it $ucks why are you using it. I think disco $ucks so I don't listen to it.

Common sense is the least used of all senses.

I dont like to go about this wrong but face bo0k sucks!!!

Amen!

If your not into Social networking I can understand that. I don't mind it. I talk to a great many Friends I wouldn't otherwise talk to. I know it's not for everyone.... But for the people who do like it, it would be nice to have a working banner. Thats all. :laughing:

Jeremy Irish has over 2000 friends on Facebook (mostly geocachers). I just asked to have him confirm me as a friend. I sign on about once a week for less than an hour to see what my friends are doing.

Maybe Jeremy can get the banner or whatever to work at least as well as Farmville.

I couldn't get it to work on my FB. After installing it the stats that showed up were correct but I didn't see it on my page.

I tried going to my page through my wife's account and it was nowhere to be seen.

I tried all the different suggestions here and on the ap's forum but none seemed to work.