Etiquette question regarding TravelBug's goals

zapped

There a lot of caches around us in Austin, TX, but not a lot of Travel bugs. I'd like to go find a couple of travel bugs but have a couple of etiquette questions:

1) This bug's goal is to head to Alaska. I certainly wouldn't move it from Austin down to South Padre Island, but is it OK to simply move it to another nearby cache (perhaps northward only a mile or two), simply for the Thrill of the Hunt? I'd probably complete the find & relocation on the same weekend.

2) The Key Chains bug wants key chains added to it. But again I'd like to find it Just For the Fun of It, so same question - catch & release OK?

I think it's great you have checked on the goals of these TBs before thinking about moving them. It's good to have an idea about where to take a TB if you pick up one.

Having said that, I'm of the opinion that it's ok to keep these bugs moving. Even a mile or two closer to their goal is...well, a mile or two closer! icon_wink.gif

Travel bugs are fun...go grab one (or two) and enjoy the hunt!

And, Welcome to Geocaching!

icon_biggrin.gif

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

I think it's great you have checked on the goals of these TBs before thinking about moving them. It's good to have an idea about where to take a TB if you pick up one.

Having said that, I'm of the opinion that it's ok to keep these bugs moving. Even a mile or two closer to their goal is...well, a mile or two closer! icon_wink.gif

Travel bugs are fun...go grab one (or two) and enjoy the hunt!

And, Welcome to Geocaching!

icon_biggrin.gif

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

Me too!

Yes, a few miles one way or another seems fine,

even if you can't help it further its goals. In particular, if you move it from a difficult cache to an easy one (but not too easy - wouldn't want it to get plundered) it might stand a better chance of being picked up by someone who can help it along. But don't be like the guy who grabbed my travel bug over the weekend - and brought it almost all the way back to where it started! icon_frown.gif And I thought printing the bug's goals on the container would help prevent that sort of thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

Me too!

Yes, a few miles one way or another seems fine,

even if you can't help it further its goals. In particular, if you move it from a difficult cache to an easy one (but not too easy - wouldn't want it to get plundered) it might stand a better chance of being picked up by someone who can help it along. But don't be like the guy who grabbed my travel bug over the weekend - and brought it almost all the way back to where it started! icon_frown.gif And I thought printing the bug's goals on the container would help prevent that sort of thing.

Catch and release. Excellent term! No problem. Good idea. Some even argue that holdoing on to them for week or month is 'bad', but if you can actually help it along what the heck. I just sent a traveling cache 300 miles rather than put it back locally. It took a few days to make the arangements but everyone will live and the owner will get a big boost in travel.

Thanks for the replies. We never went hunting for the two bugs I mentioned because we stumbled across Tuxedo first. We placed him in another cache in our area a couple of days later.

Also got the four TravelBugs I ordered, at least of couple of which I'll be placing far from Austin during vacations this summer. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the replies. We never went hunting for the two bugs I mentioned because we stumbled across Tuxedo first. We placed him in another cache in our area a couple of days later.

Also got the four TravelBugs I ordered, at least of couple of which I'll be placing far from Austin during vacations this summer. icon_smile.gif