Caching in a different language

pmolan

I am going to Montreal Canada, where the primary language is French. Most of the geocaches in that area are listed in French.

1. Other than running each cache through a translator, are there any other options? The reason is that I am new to paperless caching and it seems that its not possible without a lot of effort. I just got a PN-60 and I'm still new at that.

2. Do I log my finds in English or French?

I thought your thread was going to be about tired feet and aching backs when caching in other languages :laughing: .

The company I work with has branches in Montreal. There, by law, signs must be in French at the top, and twice the size of the English translation, which must be below it. But they do not speak Classical, European French. A friend of mine maintains an old computer system of theirs, and the program's comments are written in Canadian French. He uses Google to translate them, but often it makes no sense at all (and Google's translation programs have come a long, long way in the past few years!).

If you don't speak Canadian French, I'd suggest you simply post in English and if they need to, let them use Google.

Isn't moaning and groaning pretty much the same in all languages?

Geesh, do we have start right off with our jaded side with a new cacher?

He beat me to it, and did a better job of it, to boot!

Well, perhaps he should use a smiley and then answer the question.

Isn't moaning and groaning pretty much the same in all languages?

Geesh, do we have start right off with our jaded side with a new cacher?

He beat me to it, and did a better job of it, to boot!

I thought GeoBain was pretty funny too - I also opened this thread wondering what body aches have to do with foreign language.

Anyway, if you can't find someone local to help you with the language, just use an online translator if you need it. As for logging, definitely use English.

If you don't speak Canadian French, I'd suggest you simply post in English and if they need to, let them use Google.

I suppose youre right... The French get pissed when you mess up their language :laughing:

It's pretty amazing how dense the caches are in Montreal. Use google earth and have a look around there.

I suppose youre right... The French get pissed when you mess up their language :laughing:

That's nothing... you should see those French Canadians!!

It's pretty amazing how dense the caches are in Montreal. Use google earth and have a look around there.

Its been that way for at least a couple of years. One of the first places I knew of with what we now call power trails.
One more thing... one thing that you do NOT want to post in your logs is: "prom moi poush!!" Isn't that right, Starbrand? :laughing:

Push him too far, he might just hire Sioneva's hit guy and send him after you... :laughing:

That was one of the best drunk fingers/ tired hand typos I have seen.

I worked with a woman from France, and she said even she got confused with the French that the Canadians use. And, those in other provinces have no qualms about mocking them. Totally non-politiquement correct, à coup sûr!

Like American English compared to The Queen's English... :laughing: (sorry could not resist)

Back on topic - if the caches are not in your native language (or a language in which you are fluent), then I agree stick to traditionals, with google translations to help (e.g. translate the hint). Unless you can get a local to help you - then you can solve puzzles etc. Trying to solve a puzzle cache based on a google translation alone is very difficult. (I've tried!).

And when logging, again if you don't know the local language, post in English.

When communicating with French speekers, I usualy send the English and a google translated version of French, along with an appology for the bad French and blam it on google translate (of couse the appology is generated in google translate as well, so who knows how that goes). I have a bit of french lessons (we all had to take it in grade school), so I can often do a bit of checking on the translation, and sometimes do minor corrections.

I am going to Montreal Canada, where the primary language is French. Most of the geocaches in that area are listed in French.

1. Other than running each cache through a translator, are there any other options? The reason is that I am new to paperless caching and it seems that its not possible without a lot of effort. I just got a PN-60 and I'm still new at that.

When I found a bunch of caches in Montpellier a couple of months ago I wrote all my logs in English but ended them with "Merci pour la cache". In Barcelona, I wrote my logs all in English. I had read the logs on many of the caches, which were written in many different languages, and few attempted to write "Thanks for the Cache" in Catalan.

Learning how to say "thanks for the cache" for the language spoken in the country in which you're caching isn't a bad idea (BTW, for Swahili it's "Shukrani kwa cache ya") but reading past logs to see what the general accepted practices are may even be better.

There's nothing wrong with writing your logs in English, but maybe translate something that you can copy and paste that says you're visiting from the US.

Contrary to what some people are saying in this forum, most French Canadians appreciate it when English speakers at least TRY to speak French.

While French is the primary language of Montreal - and the rest of Quebec - Montreal has a substantial population of anglophones, many of whom are not bilingual and get along just fine in English.

Anyway, how long are you going to be in Montreal? Ottawa is just two hours away, and we are probably one of the best spots in Canada - if not North America - for geocaches. Take a look.

Ouais.

Our laws require you to log in both Joual and English.

Don't forget to stop at a pataterie for some poutine (and maybe a hambourgeois!). You can grab a beer at any nearby dépanneur! (<- Google Translate that one!)

Anyway, how long are you going to be in Montreal? Ottawa is just two hours away, and we are probably one of the best spots in Canada - if not North America - for geocaches. Take a look.

I plan on hitting Ontario, just to have that mark on my map. I'm going to that balloon festival in St Jean Sur Richeleu. Mother-in-law is a balloon pilot.

Learning how to say "thanks for the cache" for the language spoken in the country in which you're caching isn't a bad idea (BTW, for Swahili it's "Shukrani kwa cache ya") but reading past logs to see what the general accepted practices are may even be better.

I agree it is nice to say thanks or a few other words in the native language. I generally do that. I just would not use google translate to write my entire log into a native language which I don't know.

Edited by redsox_mark

Even in Montreal you will find that some have english descriptions as well, look up key words in french that will help you like 'low, high, rock'. Feel free to write in english or french, merci pour le cache. Enjoy your trip!

Even in Montreal you will find that some have english descriptions as well, look up key words in french that will help you like 'low, high, rock'. Feel free to write in english or french, merci pour le cache. Enjoy your trip!

I have found that whether or not the caches descriptions contain English varies depending on the country and the cache owner. Many of the caches I've found in Rome have descriptions in both English and Italian, though some hiders only write their descriptions in Italian. In Barcelona, quite a few of the caches had descriptions in Catalan, Spanish, and English. Pretty much all of the caches I've seen in Africa were written in English even though it's not the primary language. Of course, in some countries there may be several official languages (South Africa has 11), but in many, English is the official language for business and in some countries (i.e. Zambia) it's *the* official language. When I was in Tanzania, where English and Swahili share the official language designation, I heard of a highly contested debate regarding a proposed law which mandated that English be the only language used to teach primary school students. Apparently the use of English, especially in secondary schools and universities has diminished. The contention however, was that although both English and Swahili are recognized as the official languages the first language that is learned by a Tanzanian is that of his or her tribe. Those contesting the law are concerned that local tribal language and culture may be loss by forcing young students to communicate in English while in school. The one cache that I found in Tanzania had the listing only in English.

Quite a few Montreal residents can speak and read English fairly well. It may not be the first language on the cache page, but they can likely understand it. I log in English when I'm in Quebec. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'll end up brutalizing the language anyway so I'm better off not using it. Merci beaucoup pour la cache, does go a long ways!

And don't worry about a language barrier in Montreal either. Any hospitality workers will be able to understand what you are asking if you make a little effort - again it may not be their first language, but they want your money and are willing to work to get it!