Possible to load a GPX file onto Nuvi 350 via SD card?

I have been caught without a cable in the past and wished there was a way to take a GPX file and drop it onto an SD card and have the Nuvi 350 read it. I've tried this and it doesn't work, but I've read posts all over the net implying it should.

I've placed the GPX file in the root on the SD card, in a folder called Garmin, in one called Waypoints, I even created a Waypoints folder and placed it in a Garmin folder (just like on the device) and it still won't load.

Is this possible? If so, what's the trick?

I just double checked - it's FAT. I knew it had to be, as I was using it in the Nuvi for MP3s and it could read those. I deleted the MP3 folder just to make sure nothing was interfering with it reading the GPX file.

What's supposed to happen on screen? A message pops up saying "do you wish to load GPX file?" or something like that?

What's supposed to happen on screen? A message pops up saying "do you wish to load GPX file?" or something like that?

no, it just loads the waypoints, like it does with all the GPX files stored on the internal memory. depending on the nuvi's capabilities and the contents, they waypoints usually get added either as "favorite" or "geocache". i think it does it only when it starts up, not when you insert the card while it's running.

somewhere in the setup there should be an option to check the space usage, which should also tell you the space usage of the SD card. that would tell if you the SD card is being detected/read at all.

how big is the SD card? if it's over 2 GB, the nuvi may have trouble reading it.

Edited by dfx

Have the nuvi 350 and was able to load poi on the sd card and the unit reads them. I wanted to load regular waypoints onto card so they would show up on the map as I drove. POI don't you just get a tone when close. All I could ever do was load waypoints on the unit and it only gave me about 50 in favorites. Nice thing about POI is that you have all the info with them. If you find a way to put regular waypoints on the card then have the nuvi read it let me know. I got waypoints on the card but the nuvi wouldn't read it.

So is it safe to say it can't be done?! I would like to be able to do this - see caches while driving but it is overwhelming to have too many on the screen when driving. I'd rather have them as .GPX files on the memory card I could pop in and pop out when needed. POIs work but they don't show up while driving which is a bummer. It would be nice to drive along, have a cache show up and then decide if I want to go and nab it or not.

So is it safe to say it can't be done?! I would like to be able to do this - see caches while driving but it is overwhelming to have too many on the screen when driving. I'd rather have them as .GPX files on the memory card I could pop in and pop out when needed. POIs work but they don't show up while driving which is a bummer. It would be nice to drive along, have a cache show up and then decide if I want to go and nab it or not.

If you load it as a POI in the Nuvi and turn on alerts when you load it, it will alert you when you are near them. I have the alert set at 4,000 ft. Only problem is sometimes there are too many and then you would just need to pull over and pull up POI and see what is the closest from the list.

Ya, it's just too bad you can't have the caches on the card and pop it in when you want to cache, or be able to turn them on or off when needed. That would be slick! :)

If you load it as a POI in the Nuvi and turn on alerts when you load it, it will alert you when you are near them. I have the alert set at 4,000 ft. Only problem is sometimes there are too many and then you would just need to pull over and pull up POI and see what is the closest from the list.