GC Checklist?

unclefunky

I have been looking everywhere for a "Geocoin checklist", so that people can see just how many and which geocoins are out there. Obviously, none exist. So...

1. Do you think it would be possible for a large team to maintain such a list.

2. Would you be interested in helping collaborate and/or help manage a giant spreadsheet or PDF.

I understand it is very complex and that there are over 6000 geocoins in circulation from what I read in the forums, but I don't think it's impossible with the right group.

Included parameters could be name, edition, finish, region, and type.

Let me hear ya :) !

(Edit to change bullets to 1, 2 to avioid a smiley figure for A, :(

Edited by unclefunky

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys! I received an email from Meckle pertaining to this as well. It sounds like the google spreadsheet combined with his prototype could be a great success.

I do have to say the WILG website looks insane though. I don't know what more we could do...

Ok, as unclefunky mentions, I've been working a little bit on something along these lines..

First, a little background; my project started out as something to track my own collection, but I can see many other uses already, and the data I've begun to collect lends itself very well to the "Checklist" sort of use. Today, my web 'report' shows Coins and Editions, with a few pictures of the editions where I have them (Though, I admit that since it was for personal use, I have a few pictures I grabbed from random places online, those will be removed)

I'd love to share what I have, but unfortunately it's currently not hosted somewhere that can take much in the way of traffic. :wacko:

If all goes well, I'll be able to move it to a bit better hosting location in a few weeks. But in the meantime, I have a few questions that I can probably ask here:

• What information should be included in a list?
  • If this were a community maintained effort, what model of contribution/moderation would be best?
  • Would people be willing to bring collections to select events for a photo-shoot of missing coins?
  • Ok, I asked about what information should be included, but I should probably ask the broad "What features do you want" question too. :laughing:

totally awesome wilg!

the GC list is best place to start as it is always up to date.

we are all duplicating our efforts an awful lot. there's many many websites started with this intention see a list on the frontpage of my efforts which is a wiki style so any can help out - hinty hinty

http://trackablegeocoins.wetpaint.com/

+ i have started discussion with a dutch person to perhaps have a special geocoin category created on the catawiki.com website.

•What information should be included in a list?

•If this were a community maintained effort, what model of contribution/moderation would be best?

•Would people be willing to bring collections to select events for a photo-shoot of missing coins?

•Ok, I asked about what information should be included, but I should probably ask the broad "What features do you want" question too

Okay. First off, I do agree that we are duplicating our efforts, but from what I have seen from Meckle's site, it has the most to work with, so maybe it is worth developing. It does lack content compared to the other giants however. This problem is easily solved though by community contribution!

1. What info to include? I suggest Finish, Edition, Year, and type of coin (Personal, Event, Regional, Misc.)

2. Community maintained effort = wiki. Wiki sites are eaay ways to host info but allow it to be edited and added to by others. You could also set the wiki so that all editors have to be approved by you before they can contribute. I know of a few sites that can do the task and am happy to do some searching for the best one.

3. Would people be willing to transport collections to photo-shoots? This might be tricky, but I'm sure you could receive a substantial amount of pictures this way. I don't think you would HAVE to arrange for this at events. I for one, would be happy to do this, but people are more comfortable doing things themselves. You could ask for high quality photos of certain coins if you are having trouble getting photos at events.

4. What features? Bios like you have are great. Pictures are too, as well as stats like mentioned in 1.

I think you have a wonderful setup, and with sufficient contributions and assistance from competent individuals this project should work out fine.

To all those interested in helping Meckle and I, please post informing us of your interest. Thanks! :blink:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but this is the list of all trackable geocoins (and their respective icons) through geocaching.com and it is updated weekly.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/geocoinslistall.aspx

So that's a good starting place. You have the list of coins, now to start gathering up the info on the quantities and editions, colors and such. Some of them you will never find all the info, but for many of them it will be possible.

Ok. I think I'm ready to share the prototype.

A couple of caveats first:

• This *IS* a prototype, please keep that in mind
  • This is not hosted on it's final server, so bandwidth could be low
  • MUCH data is missing. This may be the case for a little while yet .
  • If you find something problematic, information wrong, or a photo that needs to be removed, I'll be happy to do so.
  • This started as a personal DB, and has grown into this. Please be kind. There should be much more to come!

So, without further ado: Geocoin and Trackable catalog

If, for some reason, you have problems getting it to render or work at all, please be patient and try again. I may be propagating out new code. :)

I hope I've included at least the bulk of the requested data. I'll be making some of the currently partially implemented features (like all the RL-code stuff) work in the next few days, if all goes well.

That looks REALLY good! There will be a lot of work ahead but what a great start! I would be happy to contribute what I can as my time permits. Will there be a an info page to tell us how to contribute info? Or a quick form to make sure you are getting the applicable data?

Also, you may wish to change the title of your thread (perhaps to Geocoin Catalog or something...and then Now Compiling Data in the subtitle line) -- GC Checklist is a bit misleading and you might get more people checking in if it was a bit more descriptive. Just an idea.

Looking forward to participating!

That looks REALLY good! There will be a lot of work ahead but what a great start! I would be happy to contribute what I can as my time permits. Will there be a an info page to tell us how to contribute info? Or a quick form to make sure you are getting the applicable data?

Also, you may wish to change the title of your thread (perhaps to Geocoin Catalog or something...and then Now Compiling Data in the subtitle line) -- GC Checklist is a bit misleading and you might get more people checking in if it was a bit more descriptive. Just an idea.

Looking forward to participating!

Yes, I'll have a full info page on how to contribute, along with some forms to fill out for each coin/edition/etc and how to request missing artists be added, etc..

Since this is actually a hijack of this thread, I'll probably start a new one. I'm not *quite* ready to compile data at full tilt, as I'm still working on the submission/editing experience, and until that's a bit further along, the more data the more unwieldy it is to add/edit.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Ok, I've added a little bit of a blog space on the about page of the site, and a new function, probably the one I'm most excited about.

RL-Codes are here!

My hope is that these make it easy to refer to individual coin/edition combos, both online and off.

For instance, one of my favorite coins is: http://geotrackable.info/RL-CAGOLJ (Butterfly 2010 - GW8 Tie Die Edition)

There are a few limitations: If the mint is not defined (common for pre-release coins) then I don't assign a code. Codes are also currently assigned only on demand.

How was your holiday Mekle? How is the contributor aspect going?

No pressure, just wanted to keep this thread alive. :)

Fairly good, though rife with unexpected distractions. :)

I've made some progress, and done some rethinking due to current events.

I saw that there is some risk that one of the collection sites (with many pictures) may not be around much, so I've been looking at options to help fill some of that potential gap too.

Along with all of that, I've come to the conclusion that I need to beef up my "security" plans a bit, to make sure that I really can support the 'Artist/Mint verified/provided' data, which means making sure that THEY can edit their coins, but the general community can't. :)

I should have probably said this sooner, but if you are interested in contributing, you could start now by emailing me data on specific coins you'd like to see added/edited on the site, and I will do the actual entry. That would be helpful in several ways, as it both gives me data to test with, and an incentive to get the community editing done. :)

Information I would want to see included in a submission at minimum:

Coin name

Edition information:

Edition Name/designation (Artist, RE, LE, Black Typhoon, Golden Dawn, Luxury, etc)

Primary metal (gold/silver/nickel/etc)

Primary Finish (satin, antique, brushed, black)

Optional other information:

Mint if known

Mint date (approximate month/year)

Artist (if known)

GC Series (assists with Icon and 'official name' linkage)

Size and Thickness

Descriptions/backstory for the coin

Descriptions/backstory for the editions

Ok. I think I'm ready to share the prototype.

A couple of caveats first:

• This *IS* a prototype, please keep that in mind
  • This is not hosted on it's final server, so bandwidth could be low
  • MUCH data is missing. This may be the case for a little while yet .
  • If you find something problematic, information wrong, or a photo that needs to be removed, I'll be happy to do so.
  • This started as a personal DB, and has grown into this. Please be kind. There should be much more to come!

So, without further ado: Geocoin and Trackable catalog

If, for some reason, you have problems getting it to render or work at all, please be patient and try again. I may be propagating out new code. :)

I hope I've included at least the bulk of the requested data. I'll be making some of the currently partially implemented features (like all the RL-code stuff) work in the next few days, if all goes well.

Another cool list. These are great... hope I didn't miss any. The hardest thing for me is keeping track of all the editions, versions & remints. ;)

PS - I apologize if I missed anyone's list. These are all really helpful. :D

I saw that there is some risk that one of the collection sites (with many pictures) may not be around much, so I've been looking at options to help fill some of that potential gap too.

If this is in regards to our GeocoinCollection.com Trading site, not to worry. We are working on a new version. We are in beta testing right now, and will make the new version public in just a few weeks.

If this is in regards to our GeocoinCollection.com Trading site, not to worry. We are working on a new version. We are in beta testing right now, and will make the new version public in just a few weeks.

that's welcome news... I haven't been able to access the site since last June or so and have all but given up hosting my collection there. I always liked the fact I could show my unactivated coins available for trade, but since I can't edit that info anymore I've had to rely on my own methods which lack anything that remotely resembles.... organization! :laughing: