QR and Bar Codes

Wouldn't you know it: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=3c4416ff-a089-43da-8697-1030210f0fcd

Wet Noodle Found Mingo smile.gif

Chrysalides said it's OK to find this from 800 miles away. (visit link)

*facepalm*

Hey, that's okay, I'm sure that the CO will delete the bogus find. Because he hasn't abandoned that cache or anything... :ph34r:

LOL...the reviewer can archive the cache if people turn that cache page into a forum. :laughing:

I know it has been posted earlyer in this thread, but Chrysalides, can you give us a refresher on how to build a URL that has will open the log page with the "Found" log type pre-selected?

I think dfx posted this some time ago. Basically, if you add "&LogType=2" to the end of the logging URL, the "Log Type" dropdown will be set to "Found".

Example :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=156997&LogType=4
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?WP=GCK25B&LogType=4
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?GUID=1827cb76-52a8-4c4e-8081-782a6e14c00b&LogType=4

Note that you can use ID to refer to the numeric cache ID, WP for the GC code, and GUID if you really like long strings of hexadecimal numbers :) Above example is for Groundspeak HQ, and log type is for "Write Note".

LogType values :

2 - Found It

3 - Did Not Find

4 - Write Note

7 - Needs Archived

45 - Needs Maintenance

(And for the sake of completeness)

For generating your own QR code, there are multiple free online sources. Google Charts API is one way of doing it, a search should turn up many others.

I know it has been posted earlyer in this thread, but Chrysalides, can you give us a refresher on how to build a URL that has will open the log page with the "Found" log type pre-selected?

I think dfx posted this some time ago. Basically, if you add "&LogType=2" to the end of the logging URL, the "Log Type" dropdown will be set to "Found".

Example :

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=156997&LogType=4
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?WP=GCK25B&LogType=4
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?GUID=1827cb76-52a8-4c4e-8081-782a6e14c00b&LogType=4

Note that you can use ID to refer to the numeric cache ID, WP for the GC code, and GUID if you really like long strings of hexadecimal numbers :) Above example is for Groundspeak HQ, and log type is for "Write Note".

LogType values :

2 - Found It

3 - Did Not Find

4 - Write Note

7 - Needs Archived

45 - Needs Maintenance

(And for the sake of completeness)

For generating your own QR code, there are multiple free online sources. Google Charts API is one way of doing it, a search should turn up many others.

Thanks!

I like to use google's goo.le to shorten the URL. Not only does it give you a short URL, it will also do lots of cool tracking for you.

I haven't seen anything about this posted in this forum (but it was posted in Challenges Forum):

QR Challenges

Looks like there is going to be a site update today. I wonder if it's going to include this new feature.

That's GC1D3Q8 two Lackeys found it on the 22 and replaced the log in the nano while filming their video according to the logs.

I haven't seen anything about this posted in this forum (but it was posted in Challenges Forum):

QR Challenges

Looks like there is going to be a site update today. I wonder if it's going to include this new feature.

Didn't see it mentioned in the release notes. Wonder if it is because they're being threatened (or expect to be) by that other QR code site we're not allowed to mention over here.

QR Challenges

Didn't see it mentioned in the release notes. Wonder if it is because they're being threatened (or expect to be) by that other QR code site we're not allowed to mention over here.

It also makes one wonder how long QR Challenges have been in the works as we've not been allowed to mention that other site here for awhile an one of the threads in which people did was closed with a comment that it was promoting a "competitor" site.

Wonder if it is because they're being threatened (or expect to be) by that other QR code site we're not allowed to mention over here.

Unless that other site got a patent on using QR codes in this method (unlikely), there isn't much they could do. I just did some searching on the USPTO site, and can't find such a patent. It's similar to the way that other sites list geocaches. No one has a patent on geocaching, so anyone and everyone can use it all they want.

As a side note, I found the following two patents owned by Groundspeak, Inc.:

System and method for executing user-definable events triggered through geolocational data describing zones of influence (Wherigo)

System and method for facilitating ad hoc compilation of geospatial data for on-line collaboration (Waymarking)

But wouldn't it be great if Groundspeak strated allocating a special Qr code for each cache, so if you wanted, you could add this to your cache somehow. Then, if you cache with your smart phone, you could just scan the code and it would automatically upload your FOUND IT! to the site. It could also automatically then open up a text box for adding in Log text for the found cache.

You can do it in a number of ways without Groundspeak needing to change anything.

1. You can write an app that uses Groundspeak's API. If there's no coverage where you were, it will upload later when there is.

2. You can have a QR that automatically opens up the caching log page.

For an example of (2), try this QR code :

(image removed, blame Wet Noodle)

It should open up the logging page for Mingo and default the Log Type to "Found It". EDIT TO ADD : DO NOT LOG THIS AS FOUND UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY FOUND THE CACHE. And that means you, Wet Noodle. OK, own up, whose sock is this?

Well being as most people can't write an app, and the geocaching App is a bit over priced compared to most phone apps, maybe Groundspeak should implement it? This way they could also implement the QR codes into all caches, meaning you can just download the image to include in your cache. The app can then scan the code for offline logging till you have internet access. I mean you can do this now, but it would be a faster way to do it, plus it will also prove you have been there, so you don't really need to sign a log book. Only CO's will be able to see their QR codes on the caches page.

You could use a QR code to open up the cache's page, but that's pointless since the apps pretty much do the same already.

The idea of QR codes is to short cut access to data, whether that be a URL, of a number or data entry. If these QR codes could be linked to the Ground Speak site, then you could have log book less caching almost. Sites like Munzee do this. Problem is with Munzee is that you have to run around logging QR codes stuck on a post and not much else. I think Groundspeak should implement a similar system, but still keep the fundamentals of Geocaching intact. Make each scan of a caches QR come up with a text box to enter in your log entry comments.

Over all this would also bring Ground speaks Geocaching up to date with modern technologies. Sure the guys still using regular GPS will have to do it the old way, and nothing wrong with that, but considering how smart phones are virtually taking over the world, and the majority of people have them, I think it is a smart step in a right direction.

Well being as most people can't write an app, and the geocaching App is a bit over priced compared to most phone apps, maybe Groundspeak should implement it? This way they could also implement the QR codes into all caches, meaning you can just download the image to include in your cache. The app can then scan the code for offline logging till you have internet access. I mean you can do this now, but it would be a faster way to do it, plus it will also prove you have been there, so you don't really need to sign a log book. Only CO's will be able to see their QR codes on the caches page.

Do you mean a separate app? If you're using Groundspeak's geocaching app, you can mark the cache found without the QR code.

I've thought about how this would make it more convenient, but don't really see an advantage.

If I'm using a Smartphone app to find the cache, the phone already knows what cache I'm searching for. Scanning a QR code seems an unnecessary step.

If I'm not using an app to find the cache, then I'd need to take out my phone to scan the QR. Unless you have a GPS receiver that's not paperless capable, that seems like too much trouble.

Now, if we can do the same thing for trackables, and if people would print a QR code to attach to geocoins / TBs with the TB # on the QR, I think it would be great at events. Much faster than writing down TB # or photographing them.

Now, if we can do the same thing for trackables, and if people would print a QR code to attach to geocoins / TBs with the TB # on the QR, I think it would be great at events. Much faster than writing down TB # or photographing them.

Wish granted.

http://www.cache-advance.com/products.asp?cat=58

You can also print them (laser printers do better than inkjet) and then laminate the QR. This can be attached to the dog tags or insert them in the plastic coin holders.

I need to get a lamination machine and I will be adding QR codes to my TBs and coins that I release. Does it help me? No. It helps other cachers. Thats good enough reason for me.

Wish granted.

You can also print them (laser printers do better than inkjet) and then laminate the QR. This can be attached to the dog tags or insert them in the plastic coin holders.

I need to get a lamination machine and I will be adding QR codes to my TBs and coins that I release. Does it help me? No. It helps other cachers. Thats good enough reason for me.

I have made a wooden nickl this way. The key to remember is you either need to print in backwards so the transfer is forwards, or invert the colors. I have read that you can mirror a QR, but if you do, you must invert the colors. Never tried it though.

Wish granted.

Still need an app to make this more straightforward though. The way I envision it :

1. Launch "Trackables" app

2. Scan QR from TB

3. App prompts for log type (discover, retrieve, drop) and optional log text. App saves TB code, time, log type and text (similar to field notes)

4. Repeats 2 - 3 until user quits application

5. Logs online through API immediately (if possible, I haven't managed to find a list of APIs supported), or do it later.

If I can find sample code for a QR reader, I may give it a try once my current project at work dies down. I have mightily resisted coding in Java because I'm an old school programmer :P If anyone wants to give it a go, and decide to borrow my idea, go right ahead. All I ask for is a copy of the app for my private use :)

Best reason there is :)

If you're looking for a laminator, the 3M Scotch TL-901 thermal laminator is strictly light duty, but is inexpensive and it gets the job done.

I have made a wooden nickl this way. The key to remember is you either need to print in backwards so the transfer is forwards, or invert the colors. I have read that you can mirror a QR, but if you do, you must invert the colors. Never tried it though.

Does inverting the color work? I have to give that a try! I know mirroring the QR alone will not work, as I did that once.

Does inverting the color work? I have to give that a try! I know mirroring the QR alone will not work, as I did that once.

The guy over at QRarts has said that if you are going to mirror a QR, you must invert the colours. I should try it some time.

If a QR code is required as a component of the cache, I hope they are placed in their own category so I can filter them out. I'm too cautious about avoiding viruses to consider any technology that turns my browser over to a site I did not type in.

I'm 100% sure Groundspeak will never require QR to be a component in existing caches. It would alienate way too many existing players. The backlash would be horrendous. If they are considering a QR cache or challenge type, it will definitely be a new category, so that they can be filtered out easily.

Regarding "turning your browser over to a site you did not type in", I've only used a few QR readers, and the ZXing reader in particular. After scanning in the QR, you're shown the URL in plain text, and asked if you want to go to the site.

For the reason you mentioned, I usually avoid URL abbreviators. If I point people to a site, I like them to know what it is before they click.

Regarding "turning your browser over to a site you did not type in", I've only used a few QR readers, and the ZXing reader in particular. After scanning in the QR, you're shown the URL in plain text, and asked if you want to go to the site.

For the reason you mentioned, I usually avoid URL abbreviators. If I point people to a site, I like them to know what it is before they click.

That's been my experience with QR readers as well. That said, even if a URL look innocuous doesn't mean that you're going to get what you expect. I've been bitten a couple of times by clicking on a link in the results of a Google search and had it take me to a site that didn't provide the user experience I expected.

Do you mean a separate app? If you're using Groundspeak's geocaching app, you can mark the cache found without the QR code.

I've thought about how this would make it more convenient, but don't really see an advantage.

I can. Think about the menu and button on screen you need to use at the moment to log an app. You have to press to go to the log or write field not app, then select log type, then hit the write note so so the keyboard comes up ( on Android ) then once you are done, shut the keyboard back down then submit to Geocacing.

Now instead have QR codes. Hit one button, scan and its done. Head off to next cache instead of standing there trying to type and hit buttons while mosquitoes eat you alive ( as happens a lot when I cache ).

How is that not an advantage to standing around trying to submit your log, hoping you have cell reception?

Scan and go sounds like a more convenient way to log to me.

How is this not easier and an not an advantage? You can do it one hand even, and takes less then a few seconds and your 100% confirmmed found the cache.

I can. Think about the menu and button on screen you need to use at the moment to log an app. You have to press to go to the log or write field not app, then select log type, then hit the write note so so the keyboard comes up ( on Android ) then once you are done, shut the keyboard back down then submit to Geocacing.

Now instead have QR codes. Hit one button, scan and its done. Head off to next cache instead of standing there trying to type and hit buttons while mosquitoes eat you alive ( as happens a lot when I cache ).

How is that not an advantage to standing around trying to submit your log, hoping you have cell reception?

How is this not easier and an not an advantage? You can do it one hand even, and takes less then a few seconds and your 100% confirmmed found the cache.

Perhaps it's more convenient for you, but not so much for the cache owner and others that enjoy reading logs. Whatever happened to: "The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online." Confirming you found the cache is hardly "sharing your experiences online".

Perhaps it's more convenient for you, but not so much for the cache owner and others that enjoy reading logs. Whatever happened to: "The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online." Confirming you found the cache is hardly "sharing your experiences online".

NYPaddleCacher : I don't think it's the time of the month for that topic :D Some people don't enjoy writing logs, and personally, I think forcing them to do so is a waste of everyone's time - the developer, the cacher, and those who read the logs.

soupbones : what you proposed could be accomplished by a simple UI change to the geocaching app (or one of the 3rd party apps) without incorporating QR. Instead of all the extra steps, I should be able to hit a button and it will mark it as found (or DNF). Preferably, it should allow both upload as a field note or as an actual log entry.

If you're proposing adding some sort of authentication mechanism to the QR, I think it is a great idea, but unlikely to happen. Groundspeak will never take away the ability to log caches as found without the authentication step, and if the existing method of logging a cache found exists, adding authentication does not add any value.

Still need an app to make this more straightforward though. The way I envision it :

If you're looking for a laminator, the 3M Scotch TL-901 thermal laminator is strictly light duty, but is inexpensive and it gets the job done.

Wish Granted:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=QR+Code+Reader&c=apps

There are 10 pages to choose from.

Properly coded, the QR will have the link directly to this website to the tracking log page. All smart phones come with a web browser, thats all you need (other than the code reader).

1. Start Bar Code Scanner (example and one I use)

2. Scan QR (Opens web browser automatically)

3. Log it as if you had typed in the url yourself.

Easy. No "special" app needed. Best of all? ZERO cost.

You do NOT need another specialty app installed.

You do NOT need any custom programming done.

You CAN use the scanner for many other things, not just geocaching!

TY about the laminator tip, will google it and see about finding one locally. I am assuming office max/depot will likely have them.

Here is a snippit I posted in another thread:

Scan this (yes, right from your computer monitor).

qrcodeexample.png

It will take you directly to:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2820991

BTW, that QR code got generated in less than a minute of my time, most of which was finding the TB url again to paste into the generator web site at http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ (one of dozens of free sites to generate QR codes).

NYPaddleCacher : I don't think it's the time of the month for that topic :D Some people don't enjoy writing logs, and personally, I think forcing them to do so is a waste of everyone's time - the developer, the cacher, and those who read the logs.

I can't seem to find my posting calendar but this is not really about whether or not people should be forced to write logs. As I've said before, Geocaching is a game that depends on the goodwill of other geocachers that volunteer their time, energy, and money to place caches for others to find. I think it's important to remind others from time to time that online logs were not just created to provide verification of a find so that the finder can add a smiley to their stats. No, we shouldn't force others to write verbose logs, but I feel the "sharing your experience" is part of the essence of a game played by the geocaching community.

If you're proposing adding some sort of authentication mechanism to the QR, I think it is a great idea, but unlikely to happen. Groundspeak will never take away the ability to log caches as found without the authentication step, and if the existing method of logging a cache found exists, adding authentication does not add any value.

But an authentication mechanism already exists. It's just that it's done in the client app, but those credentials have to be sent to the server, otherwise a "Found It" log (or QR code scan) can't be associated with a specific user.

qrcodeexample.png

BTW, that QR code got generated in less than a minute of my time, most of which was finding the TB url again to paste into the generator web site at http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ (one of dozens of free sites to generate QR codes).

Take it one step further and change the URL to :

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?wid=b011faaf-dbce-4a36-b1e1-2eaa1a15d456&c=123456

That will bring you to the logging page with the tracking code filled in. Obviously this is not the correct tracking code for this TB, so it won't work if you try to use it.

I tried substituting ID for WID, and I can't get it to accept the tracking code.

If the TB is meant for discover only, you can append "&LogType=48" to that URL.

Now I see why DoD was sponsoring this robots competition in the desert ... they want to pick out a winner, duct tape a smart phone to it and have it go out and log finds for them while they watch TV and drink yellow fizzy water. The cunning!

Meh. Why bother? Just armchair log.

Or better yet, since it is a DARPA project, develop an AI that would armchair log for you. Except it wouldn't be from an armchair, so what does that make it?

Edited by Chrysalides

soupbones : what you proposed could be accomplished by a simple UI change to the geocaching app (or one of the 3rd party apps) without incorporating QR. Instead of all the extra steps, I should be able to hit a button and it will mark it as found (or DNF). Preferably, it should allow both upload as a field note or as an actual log entry.

First of all, conformation is quick and easy. This is beauty of QR codes. Press a button, the scanner starts up, you point it at the code on the front of the log book, or in the cache lid, or where ever and it reads it. This could then send the special authentication code of the cache, along with your user name as a find. Lastly it could pop up a box to either add in a default log message (TFTC for example) or type in your own log. This could then send it straight to the site, or if there is no Internet access store it till it is, and push it to the net when back in range of Internet access.

The current method of authentication is what? You sign a log book as proof? Then log it online? This is full electronic authentication, as only the cache owner has the QR to add to his cache. Cache QR codes could be generated easily when creating a cache, even so, the cache owner could create the QR for his cache, take it to the chosen GZ, and using the app on his phone, log the position and submit it for assessment right there and then, just by scanning a QR code. The details could be filled in later.

Other treasure hunt sites out there use a similar method, and I think its very innovative myself. It is also the way of the modern world. Take modern warehouses for example. Gone are the days of stock controllers hand writing everything, and fork lift drivers writing down their dispatch movements. Now they use bar codes and hand held scanners that relay all stock movements back to the network.

Anyone I think who doesn't see this as a good thing, and a step in the right direction is probably a bit behind the times I think. I think this would be a good step for Geocaching, and probably attract a whole new generation of players in, simply because they can use their phones to find caches, and scan them. It has a certain modern cool factor I think. Mind you, I am a young fella pushing 40 myself.

Properly coded, the QR will have the link directly to this website to the tracking log page. All smart phones come with a web browser, thats all you need (other than the code reader).

1. Start Bar Code Scanner (example and one I use)

2. Scan QR (Opens web browser automatically)

3. Log it as if you had typed in the url yourself.

Easy. No "special" app needed. Best of all? ZERO cost.

You do NOT need another specialty app installed.

You do NOT need any custom programming done.

You CAN use the scanner for many other things, not just geocaching!

TY about the laminator tip, will google it and see about finding one locally. I am assuming office max/depot will likely have them.

All good, but this kind of defeats the purpose of using the app on your smart phone for paperless geocaching. People don't want to have to start up the browser, which will come up on their screen as a tiny web page which they have to zoom in on and move around just to make sense of it, and write a log.

If it was all implemented in the Geocaching app then you would not need to open anything else. Personally i think the geocaching app is a tad out dated myself, being an android user pretty much since it came out about 5 years ago now, this app could do so much more and be so much better if the developers put their mind to it.

Just the fact that I get my pocket queries notifications pushed through my Gmail is annoying. This is something the geocaching app should on it own without using email if i wanted too. Lots of other apps do similar things. I have one that tells me when my fav TV show is going to come out next.

at the end of the day I think geocaching will need to keep up with technology, and grow around such innovations as QR codes. If you can't see the benifits of this, go check out Munzee.com.

The concept is great at this site, but it lacks to me the excitement of the Geocache hunt, the knowledge of the terrain rating, and difficulty, and the hint and puzzle factor. But I like the ease of the QR codes confirmation and even cache hiding. Merge this concept into geocaching in the right way and I think it would work rather well, and attract more people to the sport.

If a QR code is required as a component of the cache, I hope they are placed in their own category so I can filter them out. I'm too cautious about avoiding viruses to consider any technology that turns my browser over to a site I did not type in.

If implimented into the geocaching app, this would not be an issue...

I'm 100% sure Groundspeak will never require QR to be a component in existing caches. It would alienate way too many existing players. The backlash would be horrendous. If they are considering a QR cache or challenge type, it will definitely be a new category, so that they can be filtered out easily.

Groundspeak would not even have to require it to be a component, just make it an option. Add it to all caches so only owners can see it. Make it up to them if they want to add 'Quick Log' to their caches. I think you would be surprised how many would start using it. If you make something like this compulsory, of course there is going to be a backlash.. promote it as a fun new option but....

Look at the fun guys on here are having customising their own QR codes.....

Edited by soupbones

Also, I don't think they should make any more automated logging. That's what spawned all the angst about "TFTC" logs - people with smartphones logging in the field, not spending time to actually enter a log. What if you find a qr that bumps you to the post-a-log page, but you don't have time to sit there and type out all you want to say?

Field notes are a godsend. And I'm talking as a smartphone user. :)

Please don't provide features that make quick-logging in the field easier. =P

eta: that is to say, perhaps at most a quick-log link that creates a field note (maybe with a minimal button to actually post the log in the case they absolute want to)

But, for users with the official app, doing it online is still easy. Perhaps the app should just read the QR and jump directly to its own optionally offline field note creator.

It really is just a quick luxury and not a huge benefit to the game or the logging process. smartphone users already have access, generally, to logging a find in the field or creating an offline field note. Not sure what the benefit of the QR would be except for people who don't have a geocaching app (which is effectively what Munzee does with their QRs - scan it outside the official app and the link optionally gives you info about the game; inside the app, it logs the capture automatically)

Edited by thebruce0

qrcodeexample.png

Take it one step further and change the URL to :

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?wid=b011faaf-dbce-4a36-b1e1-2eaa1a15d456&c=123456

That will bring you to the logging page with the tracking code filled in. Obviously this is not the correct tracking code for this TB, so it won't work if you try to use it.

I tried substituting ID for WID, and I can't get it to accept the tracking code.

If the TB is meant for discover only, you can append "&LogType=48" to that URL.

That is exactly how my QR codes will be formed, right to the log page. The example I made went to the TB page and not the log page. I didn't want to post the link in case someone actually used it. It was simply an example of how easy a QR can be made and used.

Also, I don't think they should make any more automated logging. That's what spawned all the angst about "TFTC" logs - people with smartphones logging in the field, not spending time to actually enter a log. What if you find a qr that bumps you to the post-a-log page, but you don't have time to sit there and type out all you want to say?

Field notes are a godsend. And I'm talking as a smartphone user. :)

Its called a BOOKMARK in your browser. Scan the QR. It opens the log page. Bookmark it. Put your phone in your pocket and move on.

Later when you have time to deal with it, return to the bookmark logs and write your nice lengthy logs.

Honestly, I am more interested in them for geocoins and TBs than actual cache logs. They make more sense there than for logging a cache but I don't discount that use either. I can't tell you how many caches I have been to that listed TB/GC in inventory only to find a penciled in log entry that was a week in the past but not on the site saying someone removed the TB/GC. Will QR codes fix that? No. They will help as its a quick scan and log as retrieved. They WILL make some geocacher's lives easier. There is NO downside to putting them on tracables. None.

Its called a BOOKMARK in your browser. Scan the QR. It opens the log page. Bookmark it. Put your phone in your pocket and move on.

Later when you have time to deal with it, return to the bookmark logs and write your nice lengthy logs.

AKA field notes.

AKA offline logs.

AKA logging from a smartphone app

AKA writing the GC code on a piece of paper.

ie, of what benefit or new use would it be, other than just being another way to do what most people do already? :unsure:

Honestly, I am more interested in them for geocoins and TBs than actual cache logs......There is NO downside to putting them on tracables. None.

That I can agree with :)

First of all, conformation is quick and easy. This is beauty of QR codes. Press a button, the scanner starts up, you point it at the code on the front of the log book, or in the cache lid, or where ever and it reads it. This could then send the special authentication code of the cache, along with your user name as a find....

The current method of authentication is what? You sign a log book as proof? Then log it online? This is full electronic authentication, as only the cache owner has the QR to add to his cache.

QR codes certainly have the advantage of convenience when authenticating a find. But they generally wouldn't be as reliable as signing a physical log (which certainly isn't a perfect system, either).

The problem is that scanning a QR code only verifies that one has scanned a QR code. But it would be easy to photograph QR codes and distribute them to friends or a network of armchair loggers. The app could improve this authentication method a bit by checking the device's GPS coordinates at the time of the scanning to confirm the user is within a certain distance of the cache's coordinates. But spoofing a device's current GPS coordinates isn't that difficult.

Groundspeak would not even have to require it to be a component, just make it an option. Add it to all caches so only owners can see it. Make it up to them if they want to add 'Quick Log' to their caches.
So then I'd have some caches where I could use the "Quick Log" function, and others where I couldn't. Or, I could use the existing methods for all caches.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather use the existing methods for all caches.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather use the existing methods for all caches.

That is an option for everyone.

QR codes are there to AUGMENT not REPLACE existing methods, at least that is how I would implement them in my caches. Human readable numbers. Human signable paper logs. Human typeable URLS to logs. None of that changes. QR codes ADD to those options not take away from them.

The problem is that scanning a QR code only verifies that one has scanned a QR code. But it would be easy to photograph QR codes and distribute them to friends or a network of armchair loggers. The app could improve this authentication method a bit by checking the device's GPS coordinates at the time of the scanning to confirm the user is within a certain distance of the cache's coordinates. But spoofing a device's current GPS coordinates isn't that difficult.

You've just described Munzee. :laughing:

You've just described Munzee. :laughing:

Yep. The same problem applies to Munzee, too.

As well, I just realized how easy it would be to set up a spoiler website with QR code photos.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Yep.

But you first need to intercept the app communication with the website and hack the encryption so you can successfully spoof the app. Do that and you're golden.

It used to be that you could create the QR from the listing URL, but as in its early days I brought that extreme cheat hole to light, they've since incorporate the 'secret' code that is required with the URL in the QR.

But, once you've found a munzee, there's nothing stopping you from sharing the QR with others. It just means that apart from spoofing their GPS location with a hacked script, they still need to be within 1000 feet of the munzee coordinates in order to scan and capture.

Oh the weaknesses of QR-scanning location-based gaming have been known for quite some time... :) but who are you cheating but yourself? Munzee decided to incorporate a leaderboard, and that made competition more important, and thusly, cheating. Which is why they've been working on making it harder to cheat. It's still not impossible, you just need to technical head knowledge.

Which is why it'll be interesting to see what Groundspeak is up to with their QR Challenges. Lots of hurdles to overcome (both technical and in game mechanic) if it's going to take attention away from Munzee.