QR and Bar Codes

QR Codes and Bar code apps allow you to place a 2-dimensional coded image which can be scanned by smartphones. Once scanned the application can take you to a related website.

Many developers are building apps for this; RIM built this capability into Blackberry Messenger, Google has an app, numerous developers are chasing the iPhone and Android markets.

It looks like it is perfect for geocaching and most any other geolocation activity.

As with signing the logbook you have to BE at a place and scan the QR or Barcode, so right away that opens up many possibilities... find the hidden code in or on a cache, scan it and go directly online to leave your comment.

If nothing else they would make a great Wherigo-type experience!

It's like a hyperlink for the physical world. Want a replacement for virtual caches? Hide a QR Code sticker where traditional caches can't be placed!

Here's an example which when scanned with your smartphone will take you to The Online Geocacher Magazine.

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=5&d=...negeocacher.com

Do you see ways in which QR and Bar codes can be integrated into geocaching, and if so how?

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Cool idea!

What's your plan B contingency for when a non-smart phone cacher makes the find?

I'm just learning about them but they've been around for years. If they catch on as my reading indicates they will every phone with a camera will soon be able to read them.

And note that I'm not saying that it would replace our way of doing things, but only that it would add options to it. :)

Cool idea!

What's your plan B contingency for when a non-smart phone cacher makes the find?

I'm just learning about them but they've been around for years. If they catch on as my reading indicates they will every phone with a camera will soon be able to read them.

And note that I'm not saying that it would replace our way of doing things, but only that it would add options to it. :)

Gotcha. Smart man. I was looking into my crystal ball and seeing forum threads of angst: "elitist bar-code caches should be banned!!! BLARG BLLAAAAARRGG!!"

Cool idea!

Probably the same as trying to "find" a Wherigo cache for those that don't have the equipment to read Wherigo info.

At least with a QR code there are PC (and I assume, Mac) applications that can read a QR code so just having a camera to take a photo in the field would allow someone to decode it once back home, then go back out it if was part of a puzzle of some sort.

Using barcodes as "answer to a question" waypoints in a manner similar to a multi cache with virtual stages might be fun, as long as it was stated upfront what was required to complete the cache. Yes, it would require a smart phone with a QR code reader but as so many others have said in the forums, you don't need to find every cache.

Cool idea!

I'm just learning about them ...

I am also just learning about techno-peasants. I didn't realize there were any still in existance.

*** this is a joke. I realize that over 50% of people don't have smart phones, and those that do, likely 50% don't know how to use them.

Yep, it's a good idea:

GC1KEMW

I'm sure this isn't the only one out there. In this instance, there's nothing physical at the location, but I've heard of those as well.

I just installed i-nigma on my windows mobile phone. That cache is cool. Just aim phone at bar code, and wala, there is the solution.

Just did the same on my HTC Ozone (not listed as a supported device).

WOW!! :) Read it before I knew what I was doing!

suddenly I am inspired to do a multi puzzle cache involving barcodes/smartcodes. Maybe have smart code at each waypoint that has the coordinates for the next waypoint. Would suck if you had to go home and scan it on your PC, but I guess that is the finders issue.

I don't consider that a problem as long as the cache is rated correctly. The Clayjar rating system accounts for caches which may require multiple visits to complete the find. Of course, that means for some the difficulty will be higher than for others but that's not really any different for a cache which requires a boat and gets an automatic 5 for a terrain rating. Since I own a kayak (several, actually) the amount of effort required for me to access most boat accessible caches is far less than many 3-4 star terrain caches. For someone that doesn't have a boat (and the skills required to use it) it could be just as difficult as a 5 star terrain cache which doesn't require special equipment.

In Japan and parts of Europe, they put QR codes on billboards. You snap a pic on your smartphone as you're driving by (as a passenger, of course!) and it will take you to the company's website.

And NYC, but that's basically the same as Japan and parts of Europe.

There are a handful of QR code mystery/multi caches along the east coast and in Europe.

I'm thinking of placing one or two out in Oregon.

Just gotta make sure to remind cachers they can find websites where they can upload photos they take with their camera/phone/GPS.

Groundspeak's rules:

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

Caches that require a geocacher to visit another website will not be published if the finder must create an account with, or provide personal information to, the other website.

Just gotta make sure to remind cachers they can find websites where they can upload photos they take with their camera/phone/GPS.

Groundspeak's rules:

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

Caches that require a geocacher to visit another website will not be published if the finder must create an account with, or provide personal information to, the other website.

A couple of things...

First, it's worth mentioning that QR codes can be used to embed any text (and even binary data) and isn't necessarily only used for providing a link to a web site. The primary advantage of a QR code is that it provides the end user with the capability of capturing a bunch of information and storing it on a mobile device without having to type it all in. It's as simple as taking a photo of something which is subsequently transformed (without any other user interaction) into useful information.

QR codes are being used a lot more frequently within libraries. I know of several libraries which integrate QR codes into their online catalogs. Users can take a photo of the code on a detail view of an item in the catalog the carry that information with them into "the stacks" rather than write down a bunch of dewey decimal codes. One of the sites where I have used QR codes frequently is one that provides airline flight statistics. For each leg of the trip, one can take a photo of a dynamically generated QR code (which in this case does provide a URL) with provides very up to date information about the status of the flight.

In Japan and parts of Europe, they put QR codes on billboards. You snap a pic on your smartphone as you're driving by (as a passenger, of course!) and it will take you to the company's website.

Where's that? :):(

Yeah, I suppose we have them here now, as well. I first read about the billboards at least a year ago, when my boss asked me to do some research about them. Old news, I guess.

Where's that? :):(

Yeah, I suppose we have them here now, as well. I first read about the billboards at least a year ago, when my boss asked me to do some research about them. Old news, I guess.

I've also seen them used in magazine advertisements. Stella Artois had an ad campaign that used them in a series of magazine ads. It really makes a lot of sense to use them in print media. I don't know how many times I've read something in a magazine or paper which contained a link to a web site that I've written down on a piece of paper then had to type into a browser. With a QR code I can just take a photo of the code and it links directly to the website in my mobile phones browser.

Groundspeak's rules:

No downloading required. There's quite a few websites that will decrypt the code and the ones I have seen/used did not require an account. I'm sure there's lots of puzzles out there that use it already, and now I know where I can make a code I may have to make one myself :) .

I could see in the future these being used to log caches in the field (I don't like the idea because logging caches from the field may further degrade log quality). I'd much more prefer a cool multi.

Here's another type used for the cache: GC2AV28

cmykn.jpg

I'm confused. Is there a pic in the cache description that my work firewall is blocking?

Edit: looked it up on my phone. I see the pic, but I am still confused. Not a typical QR Code that is for sure.

Edit: Suddently the pic is coming through. Maybe my work has just opened up the firewall to image shack or something.

Edited by Andronicus

Here's another type used for the cache: GC2AV28

cmykn.jpg

I'm confused. Is there a pic in the cache description that my work firewall is blocking?

Edit: looked it up on my phone. I see the pic, but I am still confused. Not a typical QR Code that is for sure.

Solved this one by accident while browsing the net. I literaly bumped into the solution. Cool Puzzle!!

GS.gif

Interesting. I had no trouble scanning any of the other ones above, but none of the apps on my Droid would recognize this one. :laughing:

Edit to say after letting it retry about a dozen times, "Barcode Scanner" by Zxing finally read it.

Edited by Lil Devil

Interesting. I had no trouble scanning any of the other ones above, but none of the apps on my Droid would recognize this one. :laughing:

Edit to say after letting it retry about a dozen times, "Barcode Scanner" by Zxing finally read it.

I had a tough time with that one too.

Here is a better version of my logo/QR code

qrfilledincamo.jpg

QR Codes and Bar code apps allow you to place a 2-dimensional coded image which can be scanned by smartphones. Once scanned the application can take you to a related website.

Many developers are building apps for this; RIM built this capability into Blackberry Messenger, Google has an app, numerous developers are chasing the iPhone and Android markets.

It looks like it is perfect for geocaching and most any other geolocation activity.

As with signing the logbook you have to BE at a place and scan the QR or Barcode, so right away that opens up many possibilities... find the hidden code in or on a cache, scan it and go directly online to leave your comment.

If nothing else they would make a great Wherigo-type experience!

It's like a hyperlink for the physical world. Want a replacement for virtual caches? Hide a QR Code sticker where traditional caches can't be placed!

Here's an example which when scanned with your smartphone will take you to The Online Geocacher Magazine.

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/img.php?s=5&d=...negeocacher.com

Do you see ways in which QR and Bar codes can be integrated into geocaching, and if so how?

Apparently they thought that in L.A., too. In the Times this morning I read a little story about the jail having a bar-code system to make sure sheriff's deputies were making their rounds at the jail. Some deputies had copies of the codes, and just scanned them without having to leave their desk.

GS.gif

I use Barcode Scanner by Zxing as well. It had no problem scanning either one.

I had a tough time with that one too.

Here is a better version of my logo/QR code

I tried to make one out of my crazy "Titus Andronicus" logo (aka blue Anthony Hopkins). Didn't work. Maybe needed more fittling with the layer opacity etc.

GS.gif

I use Barcode Scanner by Zxing as well. It had no problem scanning either one.

That's the only one that i-nigma had a problem with for me. Instead of just waving my phone in front of the monitor, had to carefully center the image aand move the phone back and forth before it read...but it finally did read.

Check this out. This is my logo turned into a QR code to take you to my profile

qrfilledincamo.jpg

That is so cool! :laughing:

How did you make it?

I used pixlr.com. It is prety much like photoshop. I importe both pics (my cammo GC.com like logo, and the QR code) into different layers of my picture. Then I played around with the different layer tools (opacity, add, overlay etc.) I think the second one I posed worked out even better.

Edit: I edited your quote to put my better QR code into it.

Edited by Andronicus

Check this out. This is my logo turned into a QR code to take you to my profile

qrfilledincamo.jpg

That is so cool! :laughing:

How did you make it?

I used pixlr.com. It is prety much like photoshop. I importe both pics (my cammo GC.com like logo, and the QR code) into different layers of my picture. Then I played around with the different layer tools (opacity, add, overlay etc.) I think the second one I posed worked out even better.

Edit: I edited your quote to put my better QR code into it.

Thank you! You have been a source of inspiration!! :laughing: