Key Chain Travel bug... request for input

T3am Bandito

If i created a TB with the mission of having every one who finds it attach a keychain from where they are from.... how many carriers or keychains would it take for the TB to become to big/ heavy etc? For this we have to assume an average weight and size of the TB, of course.

Assuming 20 a year (overestimate) i bet in 10 years it would be the size of a cantelope. Weight err wait let me first compute the surface area of said cantelope, then compute the avg size of a keychain based upon the local selection at a truck stop. What do you think?

<-T 3 a |/| B a || d i T 0->

S [] U T |-| 3 U < |_ i D [] |-| | []

I don't think it would be unwanted. If I saw that there was a bug in a local cache that was made up of several dozen keychains from around the world - I think I'd actually go out of my way to go get it. Sounds pretty neat to me. Believe it or not, I've actually got a cache in my car waiting for a good hiding spot... its only contents are keychains.

Good luck in not having someone swipe the bug and all its keychains, though... you'd be lucky to get 10 months travel out of that one, let alone 10 years. icon_wink.gif

flag.gif

The NEW Toe Pages

I helped move along the Keychains to Maine travel bug. It was several linked carabiners with room to attach the keychains to the carabiners. It didn't get picked up or moved too terribly fast, and is now dying a slow lingering death in the hands of a newbie who was only active on the site for a month. Typical.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?

this bug had the goal of traveling around, and had a big chain on it so people could attach sports items or key chains. At some point i think a TB like that could become a heavy bulky problem to place. But until then it could travel for quite a ways/while. And as Rubbertoe points points out, this bug will probly end of going MIA at some point anyways, most likely long before it becomes big & heavy enough to be a problem.

whack.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I am new to Geocaching been in it about two months. The Travel Bugs got my interest from the start. But looking down the list of some I see they come up missing. If its the idem its attached to and some one wants that idem bad enough to steal it, Why not at least send the tag on it way. If they have disided they don't like the hobby they can give it to some one they know to pass it on.

Also around here ther have been a couple caches destroied. And not by animals. They were out in the forrest where you would think only people with some pride would be. Not hoodlums :mad

I like the idea of a TB that gathers keychains. In fact I liked it so much that I did a similar thing a few months ago with my Sportsbug. Sorry I don't know how to do those neat link things to take you right to it but if you go to my profile you can find it. Anyway, my bug has yet to pickup anything more than an extra sticker. Some people will probably jsut take it and move it without adding to it. I agree with Rubbertoe, however, if I could find a TB that had a big huge gob of keychains I would probably make an extra effort to find it. If it gets to the point that there are too many keychains, just change the rules and ask people to trade a keychain. It would then be sort of a TravelBug/Traveling cache hybrid. Hmmm...maybe I should get a bunch of keychains and do this kind of hybrid thing