State Farm & Ford Motors geocaching campaign

http://www.slideshare.net/ethansen/module-...ng-and-qr-codes

Slides 14 & 15

"Goal: Promote the campaign and spread information about insurance to target in a unique and innovative way"

"Idea: Geocaching integration"

"A tech-savvy scavenger hunt has Young Adults looking for State Farm branded tokens"

"Placement: Salt Lake City, UT; Portland, OR; Pittsburgh, PA; Orlando, FL; San Antonio, TX; Bakersfield, CA; Minneapolis, MN; Nashville, TN; Wichita, KS; Hartford, CT"

"Price: $348,000"

I'd give the kid an F for a presentation that is mainly videos and images from the internet, and very little original material.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

http://www.slideshare.net/ethansen/module-...ng-and-qr-codes

Slides 14 & 15

"Goal: Promote the campaign and spread information about insurance to target in a unique and innovative way"

"Idea: Geocaching integration"

"A tech-savvy scavenger hunt has Young Adults looking for State Farm branded tokens"

"Placement: Salt Lake City, UT; Portland, OR; Pittsburgh, PA; Orlando, FL; San Antonio, TX; Bakersfield, CA; Minneapolis, MN; Nashville, TN; Wichita, KS; Hartford, CT"

"Price: $348,000"

(Emphasis mine)

So according to what he has stated..... State Farm is charging $348,000 to participate in this. :):(

UH..... no thanks.

Also this person is a college student?? How did he make it out of high school?

Edited by ngrrfan

Also this person is a college student?? How did he make it out of high school?

No Child Left Behind?

I eagerly await the State Farm Logo caches and collecting a new icon with baited bells on. Or something.

Maybe not the best proposal I've seen, but if they hide them, I will seek them. The Jeep travel bugs were fun. Where be the corporate sponsorship up in this piece, yo?

I'm of a mixed mind on this.

While I think the Planet of the Apes movie tie-in to Geocaching has given us a monument (or two), I'd hate to see the experience diluted by tie-ins with a lot of businesses. I'm ambivalent regarding State Farm, though Mustang or Thunderbird trackables could be quite the cool beans.

It would be awful to find, in 5 years time, the game having tie-ins with Nike, McDonalds, Goldman Sachs, etc.

It would be awful to find, in 5 years time, the game having tie-ins with Nike, McDonalds, Goldman Sachs, etc.

Agreed, this, not micros, would be the death of geocaching as we know and love it. I get out there to get away from work and home responsibilities and the barrage of promotional materials. If I start seeing "this cache sponsored by xyz corp." I'm outta here.

Edited by wimseyguy

No good can come from this.

"The Big Mac" Cache

"Just Do It" Geocoins

"You're in safe hands" Trackables

Luckily, I don't think thats much of a problem. Since caches are owned / maintained by individuals it would be pretty difficult to get ads placed. If companies placed their own caches then it's up to the cacher whether to find it or not.

Edited by bfdhud
Luckily, I don't think thats much of a problem. Since caches are owned / maintained by individuals it would be pretty difficult to get ads placed. If companies placed their own caches then it's up to the cacher whether to find it or not.

A company sponsors the container, and pays you for every logged visit.

Yes, the horror... when people place caches for profit instead of for the love of the game, that will be the end of geocaching as we know it.

Edited by Chrysalides

A company sponsors the container, and pays you for every logged visit.

Yes, the horror... when people place caches for profit instead of for the love of the game, that will be the end of geocaching as we know it.

The horror.

2654062628_7a0484ce85.jpg

Anything that promotes insurance to geocachers is a good thing!

....for the insurance companies. They aren't going to get a dime of my money. But I'll gladly go look for their branded token thingies if it will make them happy. Somehow I don't think it will.

Cool!

At 2 a.m. when you're standing in your driveway in your jockey juniors and everything that you have is gone, your home and everything in it is now just a smoking heap of rubble, maybe someone like me will come along and give you a bottle of water, something to wear and put you up in a local hotel until 10 a.m. checkout.

After that if you have no insurance agent to call you are homeless and on your own. Good luck... this is when you learn that choices have consequences.

But, you are free to make such choices. Isn't this a great country? :laughing:

....for the insurance companies. They aren't going to get a dime of my money. But I'll gladly go look for their branded token thingies if it will make them happy. Somehow I don't think it will.

Cool!

At 2 a.m. when you're standing in your driveway in your jockey juniors and everything that you have is gone, your home and everything in it is now just a smoking heap of rubble, maybe someone like me will come along and give you a bottle of water, something to wear and put you up in a local hotel until 10 a.m. checkout.

After that if you have no insurance agent to call you are homeless and on your own. Good luck... this is when you learn that choices have consequences.

FUD much?

Cool!

:laughing: Sorry... what has that scenario got to do with geocaching? I must have missed something important here. I seriously don't believe that atmospherium was saying that he wasn't giving a dime to insurance premiums. Was he? :laughing:

Cool!

As long as it isnt government subsidized insurance, like we give our tax money to for all the people building in repeat-hurricane or repeat-flood areas.

Cool!

:laughing: Sorry... what has that scenario got to do with geocaching? I must have missed something important here. I seriously don't believe that atmospherium was saying that he wasn't giving a dime to insurance premiums. Was he? :laughing:

Yeah, sorry for going off on a rant. It's a sore subject with me and I tend to go off on folks who don't get the value of insurance.

Anyhoo, back to the topic, whatever it was.

How about ..

Geocoin Insurance - pays off when your geocoin goes missing.

Muggle Policy - pays off when your cache is discovered by muggles and looted/taken.

Wet Log Policy - Pays to replace your log book in the event of flooding.

LPC Policy - Pays off if the lamp post your cache is hidden in is knocked over.

Edited by DragonsWest

How about ..

Muggle Policy - pays off when your cache is discovered by muggles and looted/taken.

Cache insurance has actually been discussed. I don't think that enough cachers would pay a policy premium to insure caches to make it a viable business model, but if the demand ever appears some entrepreneurial soul will create a business to serve it!

Yeah, sorry for going off on a rant. It's a sore subject with me and I tend to go off on folks who don't get the value of insurance.

My dear defender of everything lame, what I was thinking of at the time was proposed mandatory health insurance, which is a sore subject with me, so we won't talk about it. As for other types, I own a vehicle, so I got that covered. But I don't own a home and I have no family, so no homeowners or life insurance for me, thank you. I also own no possessions of value. True, I have a lot of music equipment and instruments, but I decided long ago that all that stuff is just that...stuff. If my stuff was stolen or destroyed, I would happily continue life without it. Seriously.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

How about ..

I'd buy DNF insurance.

Pay 1 smilie for every 10 you get. When you DNF, you get smilie instead of frownie.

OK, maybe not.

How about ..

I'd buy DNF insurance.

Pay 1 smilie for every 10 you get. When you DNF, you get smilie instead of frownie.

OK, maybe not.

Auto Insurance - If an auto strikes the guard rail your magnetic key holder is hidden behind, it pays off.

Long day and the eyes have had it with monitors, so I didn't read all the replys ... eh, so what?! With that said, what does geocaching.com have to say about having their name associated with auto-home-godonlyknowswhat insurance? And if they like it then why can't I put a cache in "Al's palace of magic elixers"?

Cheers,

Panda Inc

Long day and the eyes have had it with monitors, so I didn't read all the replys ... eh, so what?! With that said, what does geocaching.com have to say about having their name associated with auto-home-godonlyknowswhat insurance? And if they like it then why can't I put a cache in "Al's palace of magic elixers"?

Cheers,

Panda Inc

Given enough money they'll probably say just about anything you want, right?

Cool!

Anyhoo, back to the topic, whatever it was.

It has nothing to do with the value of insurance. The issue is the use of geocaching as a medium for advertising.

... The issue is the use of geocaching as a medium for advertising.

Geocaching is an excellent medium of advertising to the geocacher demographic and is being adopted more often than you might think.

The issue then is more of commercial listings on Groundspeak.

If at some time commercially-related geocaching catches on outside of Groundspeak then somebody like Google will step in and serve that need.

... The issue is the use of geocaching as a medium for advertising.

Geocaching is an excellent medium of advertising to the geocacher demographic and is being adopted more often than you might think.

The issue then is more of commercial listings on Groundspeak.

If at some time commercially-related geocaching catches on outside of Groundspeak then somebody like Google will step in and serve that need.

Or Groundspeak will change its guidelines.

Eek. :laughing:

I'm not presently certain I'd like to see GoogleCache or anything of the like.

Google were win-win-win-win... for a strong stretch, but they seem to be coming up as their own worst enemy lately ..

The horrible forced background rollout ..

The change in the News layout ..

They need to take a step back of some initiatives.

Eek. :laughing:

I'm not presently certain I'd like to see GoogleCache or anything of the like.

Google were win-win-win-win... for a strong stretch, but they seem to be coming up as their own worst enemy lately ..

The horrible forced background rollout ..

The change in the News layout ..

They need to take a step back of some initiatives.

What do you think of the new images layout?

I liked the old google. :laughing: