A perplexing find

I am aware that not all things that seem to be geocaches are listed on geocaching.com, and I may have run into one of these. Nonetheless, I am seeking others' thoughts about what I found.

My buddy and I were out riding quads in the Mojave Desert. We used the opportunity to grab some caches and hide some caches. We were on a trail that required a 4x4 or better. We went after one particular cache that required a 200 foot walk/climb. I followed the GPS and got within 8 feet of GZ when my buddy pointed to a UPR in a crevice. When I removed the rocks, I found a wooden box. It was about 15 inches by 15 inches by 4 inches. It was varnished. There was something in it that rattled or moved as I tilted the box. The box was labeled something like "Geo-Box" with some other notations that I should have noted better. I could find no easy way to open it. There were eight small screws holding the side panel onto the box. However, I did not have a small enough screwdriver and in any event was not inclined to take it apart in the desert heat, while perched on a pile of rocks. So, I put it back and replaced the UPR. There was no cell reception, so I could not consult the website with my cell phone to see if the cache was some sort of puzzle. I gave up and started climbing down. As I did, I found the cache I was actually seeking. The two were probably within 20 feet of each other.

I sent an e-mail to the owner of the cache as listed and asked about the "Geo-Box." He had no clue.

Once it isn't so hot, we may go back. However, for now, I'll ask if anyone has any ideas beyond that this was part of someone else's "game."

I am aware that not all things that seem to be geocaches are listed on geocaching.com, and I may have run into one of these. Nonetheless, I am seeking others' thoughts about what I found.

My buddy and I were out riding quads in the Mojave Desert. We used the opportunity to grab some caches and hide some caches. We were on a trail that required a 4x4 or better. We went after one particular cache that required a 200 foot walk/climb. I followed the GPS and got within 8 feet of GZ when my buddy pointed to a UPR in a crevice. When I removed the rocks, I found a wooden box. It was about 15 inches by 15 inches by 4 inches. It was varnished. There was something in it that rattled or moved as I tilted the box. The box was labeled something like "Geo-Box" with some other notations that I should have noted better. I could find no easy way to open it. There were eight small screws holding the side panel onto the box. However, I did not have a small enough screwdriver and in any event was not inclined to take it apart in the desert heat, while perched on a pile of rocks. So, I put it back and replaced the UPR. There was no cell reception, so I could not consult the website with my cell phone to see if the cache was some sort of puzzle. I gave up and started climbing down. As I did, I found the cache I was actually seeking. The two were probably within 20 feet of each other.

I sent an e-mail to the owner of the cache as listed and asked about the "Geo-Box." He had no clue.

Once it isn't so hot, we may go back. However, for now, I'll ask if anyone has any ideas beyond that this was part of someone else's "game."

I'm going to say that this could be far-fetched, and believe me, I know it, but there were a lot of miners, surveyors, etc...wandering around the Mojave. Could it have something to do with that. A survey of some sort, or coordinates to a mine? Told you it was far-fetched. And before people say "But there's geo in the word," Geo is an ancient word and it's possible it could have been used for this purpose. I'm probably wrong, but wouldn't it be cool! Be careful opening it. Anything that rattles in the desert is a teeny bit scary :)

You found the cremated remains of a loved one. The box is supposed to survive the elements but will only do so for a relatively short period of time, maybe 10 years normally but possibly a few decades in the desert.
For the late Geo. Box, perhaps.

Didn't you find something like that once? Or am I just thinking of a thread that you participated in where people were speculating that it was a cremation burial site?

Seriously doubt that it would be a mining claim or anything like that, coralteach. The standard way of staking a claim is (believe it, or not) put the paperwork inside of a tin can, and either put that tin can upside down on a stick in the ground, or in a rock cairn. Pretty high-tech.

You found the cremated remains of a loved one. The box is supposed to survive the elements but will only do so for a relatively short period of time, maybe 10 years normally but possibly a few decades in the desert.

Didn't you find something like that once? Or am I just thinking of a thread that you participated in where people were speculating that it was a cremation burial site?

Seriously doubt that it would be a mining claim or anything like that, coralteach. The standard way of staking a claim is (believe it, or not) put the paperwork inside of a tin can, and either put that tin can upside down on a stick in the ground, or in a rock cairn. Pretty high-tech.

I didn't find it. I was just a participant in the thread.

I saw that very same thing in a Roy Rogers flick. Or maybe it was Gene Autry..................whatever, it was really really cool.

After looking at the previous logs, I stand corrected. I think it's a cremation box. Still think it would be cool to find a mine though....maybe that's why I pan every so often and have found my share of pyrite! Kind of like a DNF. :)

If it was a cremation box wouldn't it be labeled Ted rather than Geo Box?

After looking at the previous logs, I stand corrected. I think it's a cremation box. Still think it would be cool to find a mine though....maybe that's why I pan every so often and have found my share of pyrite! Kind of like a DNF. :)

lol

GEOrge BOXter (???)

lol

Somewhere in a desert I've never been to is a geocoin I once had posession of. In an effort to explain this sport to a truckdriving roommate of mine, I passed into his hand a geocoin I'd found in a recent cache. My understanding was he was going to create an account, begin caching, and place this coin in a cache along his route. What really happened was he just hid it somewhere in a desert in a bunch of rocks, then called me with the coordinates a couple of days later.

At that point I really had no idea what to do. Hope someone stumbles onto it someday!

Somewhere in a desert I've never been to is a geocoin I once had posession of. In an effort to explain this sport to a truckdriving roommate of mine, I passed into his hand a geocoin I'd found in a recent cache. My understanding was he was going to create an account, begin caching, and place this coin in a cache along his route. What really happened was he just hid it somewhere in a desert in a bunch of rocks, then called me with the coordinates a couple of days later.

At that point I really had no idea what to do. Hope someone stumbles onto it someday!

Did you notify the coin's owner about what happened to his/her coin?

But... but... but...

but you've only been a member yourself for what... four days? Three, at the time you posted that message. :laughing: How long ago did this coin thing take place?

We've got a cache near here that asks you to stop and say hello to Geo Buffalo when you find the cache. About 50' from the hide in the corner of the park behind a small fence is a small family cemetery for the Buffalo family.

GEO(rge) Buffalo is on one of the larger stones.

then called me with the coordinates a couple of days later.

Nope, nothing else to do but hope someone stumbles on it... or, wait! You could POST THE COORDINATES!!?!

this sounds like AGSTDRH. (Another great story that didn't really happen.)

After looking at the previous logs, I stand corrected. I think it's a cremation box. Still think it would be cool to find a mine though....maybe that's why I pan every so often and have found my share of pyrite! Kind of like a DNF. :laughing:

and why would there be rattling, aren't those only supposed to contain ashes?

I'm pretty sure it is of recent vintage, i.e. within the last 10 years. I suppose next time I'm in the area, I'll have to investigate further

You totally have to go back out there with a screwdriver. Come on you can't drop something like that and not give up the punch line. Don't you have any sick time? :(

I intend to go back out there ... as soon as the temperature drops below 100. We're talking about the Mojave!

Next time, I'll try to remember to take pictures.

Huuuummmm, Mojave, eh? I know a supervisor who lives there who might just be available to assist. You know, when he is not supervising. :laughing:

My buddy and I went back out there on Saturday. And we brought a cordless drill with screwdriver bits.

The thing was labeled "Bucket & Boomers Geo-Box." Unscrewing the screws took some doing as the heads were full of hardened gunk. We opened it and found a large ziploc bag. It contained a brimmed hat, a cap, 2 watch caps, 2 t-shirts and a CD. They all had a logo for "Bucket & Boomers Prospecting Adventures." The bag was labeled with the contents and stated "Don't complain, this is all free stuff." There was nothing like a log or other identifying information.

I took a t-shirt and the CD and left something of value. I also left a note / log.

I subsequently did some research and found a Facebook page for "Bucket & Boomers Prospecting Adventures" as well as an address (courtesy of the Trademark Office).

It appears these guys just sort of hid this thing for whomever might find it.

Mystery solved.

P.S. I don't think a the FJ would make it. I don't think it has the ground clearance or tough enough tires to come in the way we went. It might be possible to come around the long way. I don't think I'd try it. But, I'll check with my buddy and see what he thinks.

Sorry for all the mystery there folks, but it seems HH242 stumbled upon one of our "Geo-Boxes" which essentially is a promotion. in our gold prospecting video we hide 9 of these geo-boxes for those that watch the video they can gather clues within the video and go out and find the boxes which contain mostly Bucket & Boomer shirts,beenies, boonie hats and tank tops. the idea is to take the entire box....its yours. Luckily HH242 kept it in play because the video isnt even out yet. To my knowledge none of the other 8 have been found. I new the geo-cache community was good but even thats an understatement i will have to re-think my next round of 10 boxes. You guys are good !!! Once again....sorry for the mystery.

Thanks gang! I have been consulting with HH242 ever since he found us on facebook (and put an end to the mystery of what it was that he had found) to get a better idea of how geo-cachers think and thats exactly what he told me its all about the hunt or as you put it the mystery. Thats exactly what our game is, we dont give any coordinates you just watch the video and the clues are in the landscape, we actually show us burying the boxes and then show the area the rest is up to the viewer to spot the landmark. But unlike geo-caching your supposed to keep the entire box, contents and all and send us a picture we can post up.(for bragging rights). It was an idea we came up with to kind of make a gold prospecting/ geo-caching video that lets you....the viewer...be a part of the end, and get credit for your perserverence and hard work in our future videos by showing your photo in the video. How fun is that? But its all still in the editing phase when HH dropped the bomb that he found one of our geo-boxes, luckily he did take a photo of him finding it and he left it in play...thank you HH.

Bucket

Thanks gang! I have been consulting with HH242 ever since he found us on facebook (and put an end to the mystery of what it was that he had found) to get a better idea of how geo-cachers think and thats exactly what he told me its all about the hunt or as you put it the mystery. Thats exactly what our game is, we dont give any coordinates you just watch the video and the clues are in the landscape, we actually show us burying the boxes and then show the area the rest is up to the viewer to spot the landmark. But unlike geo-caching your supposed to keep the entire box, contents and all and send us a picture we can post up.(for bragging rights). It was an idea we came up with to kind of make a gold prospecting/ geo-caching video that lets you....the viewer...be a part of the end, and get credit for your perserverence and hard work in our future videos by showing your photo in the video. How fun is that? But its all still in the editing phase when HH dropped the bomb that he found one of our geo-boxes, luckily he did take a photo of him finding it and he left it in play...thank you HH.

Bucket

This sounds really cool, and what a great story on the accidental find. Quick note on a key difference from geocaching: Burying caches is strictly against our guidelines, as we try to minimize impact and keep the land managers happy so they will continue to allow geocaching. :P

Eddie your welcome anytime, the folks on facebook are from all over the US, most of our page is about gold prospecting but i would like more geo-cachers in there to mix it up. Hydnsek... you are correct we do bury most of the boxes thats why i was surprised when one was found although that one was covered with rocks not really buried, but also thats one reason we do our thing out in the desert... typically in gold prospecting areas where diggings and holes and such are common, and when the rains come, the holes left by drywashers and gold prospectors fill in.