GPSr touchscreen question

Right now I am using a Nuvi 660. and I'm really wanting a new one so that I can do paperless caching much easier (read the hints/descriptions) etc.

My question is 2 fold

1. is there a way to lock the screen, so that I can watch the map, but when I hand it to my kids to hold they can't change anything. Every time I hand it to them to hold they somehow stop everything and I have to start all over. I really don't know how they do it so fast. And if its not them, then juggling the dog & kids manages to screw things up.

2. Do the newer GPSr's have a screen lock function?

thanks.

My Nuvi 200W has a lock...so I'm not sure why the higher-end model wouldn't. :)

Push the power button one way, it turns on (or off)...push it the other way and it locks. :(

My power button is different than yours. It doesn't slide.

but thanks.... :(

and curious about the newer models too.

Scroll to page 4 of the Garmin Nuvi 660 Owners Manual for "screen lock" instructions.

Edited by The Ravens

http://tinyurl.com/24p4hka

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/nuvi660_ownersmanual.pdf

Changing the Volume, Brightness, and Screen Lock

1. Press and quickly release the Power button, or on the Menu page, touch

2. Touch or to adjust the volume and brightness. To prevent accidental

screen taps, touch Lock. To unlock the screen, press the Power button.

tried that... it shows me a screen that says "this screen is locked" atleast while sitting here at my desk. Not able to view a map or anything else for that matter, just a line of text.

It has 'safe mode' -- I haven't tried that yet, it might do what I'm looking for.

Does the Oregon line have the ability to lock the touchscreen

The 'software lock' on your model should provdie the locked screen and still display the map when navigating. It might be that you need to be navigating for it to show anything while locked.

Safe Mode won't help you - it will simply prevent you from 'fiddling' with the menus and options while driving - to keep you save while moving through traffic. Basically when you touch the screen while moving you'll get a prompt about safe mode. Not sure it would prevent it from being used at walking speeds.

http://tinyurl.com/24p4hka

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/nuvi660_ownersmanual.pdf

Changing the Volume, Brightness, and Screen Lock

1. Press and quickly release the Power button, or on the Menu page, touch

2. Touch or to adjust the volume and brightness. To prevent accidental

screen taps, touch Lock. To unlock the screen, press the Power button.

tried that... it shows me a screen that says "this screen is locked" atleast while sitting here at my desk. Not able to view a map or anything else for that matter, just a line of text.

It has 'safe mode' -- I haven't tried that yet, it might do what I'm looking for.

Does the Oregon line have the ability to lock the touchscreen

Yes it does...press and release the power button, an option to Lock Screen will appear - tap. Press and release the power button again, an option to Unlock Screen appears - tap.

Bill

Right now I am using a Nuvi 660. and I'm really wanting a new one so that I can do paperless caching much easier (read the hints/descriptions) etc.

thanks.

You can download the waypoints to a Nuvi 660. (I have one) you won't get the hints unless you become a premium member no matter what you have. The Nuvi is nice because it has a rechargeable battery. You can just plug it into the computer to recharge unless you charge it in the car. I have a Colorado 300 which eats batteries and is user unfriendly. Also the Colorado requires that you shell out a lot for any maps. No reason to downgrade : ) I bought it so I could record my tracks when I go out sailing.

thanks.

You can download the waypoints to a Nuvi 660. (I have one) you won't get the hints unless you become a premium member no matter what you have. The Nuvi is nice because it has a rechargeable battery. You can just plug it into the computer to recharge unless you charge it in the car. I have a Colorado 300 which eats batteries and is user unfriendly. Also the Colorado requires that you shell out a lot for any maps. No reason to downgrade : ) I bought it so I could record my tracks when I go out sailing.

really!! :wacko:

If I upgrade to premium, what all will I be able to see and download? And how easy/difficult is it? My husband had tried to do a download to it, but it didn't have the cache names....just a list of coordinates.

Where do I go for Nuvi 660 lessons, :laughing:

If I upgrade to premium, what all will I be able to see and download? And how easy/difficult is it? My husband had tried to do a download to it, but it didn't have the cache names....just a list of coordinates.

Where do I go for Nuvi 660 lessons, :laughing:

I get the same as you when I download the GCs to the Nuvi, just the name of the cache. Which is OK with me. With the Colorado I get the name of the cache and a bit of useless data :wacko: Premium membership https://www.geocaching.com/Membership/default.aspx gets you the hints. I seem to be OK without the hints but then again I am not contributing to the sport at this point by being a skinflint and not getting a premium m'ship.

I have no idea if the newer Nuvis :blink: are any different.